Others [Daz Sutdio 4.12] Saving a character with everything applied to it

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
Hi guys,

f.e I placed a Genesis 8 Female xyz and did some morphs + add on like golden place, tan lines and so on...
How can i transfer / save her will all the morphs and add ons and use her again in a new file / "scene" ? Is this even possible, or do i need to go through all the steps again ?
( another workaround would be, save scene with her, change everything else ( she stays ) and add new things and save again and so on ) but there must be another way right

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I use a workflow that deals with exporting and importing stuff due to using other programs for sculpting, so I don't know what the proper way to do things would be, other than to save it as a scene...

Reactions: goditseb

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Hi guys,

f.e I placed a Genesis 8 Female xyz and did some morphs + add on like golden place, tan lines and so on...
How can i transfer / save her will all the morphs and add ons and use her again in a new file / "scene" ? Is this even possible, or do i need to go through all the steps again ?
( another workaround would be, save scene with her, change everything else ( she stays ) and add new things and save again and so on ) but there must be another way right
Save a scene with only your character, no stage, lights or anything else.
That will serve you as "Master" and then add it to the scenes you want. To do that, just go to the "File" menu, click on "Merge" and select your character (MASTER file).

NOTE: Always keep backups of your important files, such as your character's "MASTERS" files :p

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
How can i transfer / save her will all the morphs and add ons and use her again in a new file / "scene" ?
Do a "Save As > Scene Subset."

The difference between a "Scene" and a "Scene Subset" is that if you double-click on a Scene, it wants to replace your current scene. (So, as mgomez0077 said, you have to do a "merge"). If you double-click on a Scene Subset, it automatically just merges it into your current scene.

When you save a scene subset, you're first asked for the file name, then you're given a list of items in your current scene and you can check or uncheck them to include them in the scene subset.

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
I've been using character preset and wearable preset to save my character options. How do these differ from a scene subset? I really need to upgrade to 4.12. Can I have 2 versions of Daz Studios on my computer at one time? I just want to make sure I don't run into any issues with 4.12 first before I remove 4.10.

Thanks.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I've been using character preset and wearable preset to save my character options. How do these differ from a scene subset?
Look at the seventh answer:

I really need to upgrade to 4.12. Can I have 2 versions of Daz Studios on my computer at one time? I just want to make sure I don't run into any issues with 4.12 first before I remove 4.10.

Thanks.
No problem having both installed, I have all three, 4.10, 4.11 and 4.12, LOL
Just set the content folders correctly, and if you have plugins copy them from one DAZ installation folder to another and activate them with the serial number.

Added:
BTW, I usually have a scene saved (master file) with only the character, but I also keep a copy with only the materials and another with the shape... sometimes DAZ can give problems with these things and if you have those files it's very easy to make a "merge" and have it solved :)

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
Thanks for the info. I'd like to have 4.9 as I believe it is the version before the Iray change. This would fix the skin issue for some of my older models. Does Daz offer their older versions or do I need to do a search for them?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the info. I'd like to have 4.9 as I believe it is the version before the Iray change. This would fix the skin issue for some of my older models. Does Daz offer their older versions or do I need to do a search for them?
I don't know, but I found this on a quick search, I hope it can help with your problem:

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
I don't know, but I found this on a quick search, I hope it can help with your problem:

Thank you so much for the links. I'd tried the daz one with some success. But I found with multiple characters that I would need to alter the surface settings for every scene as the skin tone changed dramatically based on the amount of light. I wasn't aware of hivewire. I tried the skin adjustment on one model and the early results look promising. I've had to use the skin from other models to address this issue and the characters tend to look a fair amount different without their intended skin. It also sounds like I would need to go back to Daz 4.8 to remove this issue if the hivewire fix doesn't do the trick. Thanks again.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019

Thanks again. I did some testing with the hivewire shader fix and got some good results. The below image is a test for the shader fix as well as trying to address feedback I received on my game. People asked if I could provide visuals that let them know that the scene was a dream. So I found an 8k above the clouds hdri. The clouds in the hdri were too bright, so I reduced environment intensity to .6. This fixed the clouds, but left the model dark. I added a plane to light the character as seen in the image below. Is the lowered environment intensity what is making it harder to light the model? I've tried to rotate the dome, but it doesn't appear to change the lighting very much. I haven't been using hdri's very long, so I'm probably missing something.

dream clouds.png

Reactions: erikus

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks again. I did some testing with the hivewire shader fix and got some good results. The below image is a test for the shader fix as well as trying to address feedback I received on my game. People asked if I could provide visuals that let them know that the scene was a dream. So I found an 8k above the clouds hdri. The clouds in the hdri were too bright, so I reduced environment intensity to .6. This fixed the clouds, but left the model dark. I added a plane to light the character as seen in the image below. Is the lowered environment intensity what is making it harder to light the model? I've tried to rotate the dome, but it doesn't appear to change the lighting very much. I haven't been using hdri's very long, so I'm probably missing something.

View attachment 515561
I'm glad to know I'm helping you with the problem :)

If you only illuminated the scenes with the HDRI dome, it's normal that when the intensity is lowered, the character also looks darker.

If you use the DAZ spotlights, keep in mind that you must use very high values so that you notice their light.

I use these, they work very well and when you get used to them they are very useful:

NOTE: These lights work differently than the default DAZ lights, to change the intensity or color you have to do it from the "surfaces" tab.

Reactions: lydcreations

lydcreations

Game Developer
May 6, 2019
I'm glad to know I'm helping you with the problem :)

If you only illuminated the scenes with the HDRI dome, it's normal that when the intensity is lowered, the character also looks darker.

If you use the DAZ spotlights, keep in mind that you must use very high values so that you notice their light.

I use these, they work very well and when you get used to them they are very useful:

NOTE: These lights work differently than the default DAZ lights, to change the intensity or color you have to do it from the "surfaces" tab.
Thanks for the reply. I originally tried a spotlight, but it didn't improve the model lighting very much. I must not have bumped up the intensity enough. Thanks for the lighting suggestion. I'm glad you mentioned where the intensity adjustment was located as I wouldn't have looked under surfaces for it.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I originally tried a spotlight, but it didn't improve the model lighting very much. I must not have bumped up the intensity enough. Thanks for the lighting suggestion. I'm glad you mentioned where the intensity adjustment was located as I wouldn't have looked under surfaces for it.
Yes, the DAZ spotlights come by default with a very low intensity, it's normal to add to the intensity value 2, 3 or 4 "zeros" depending on the distance, lol :LOL:

Reactions: lydcreations