• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Blender Daz to Blender skin problem.

Honengen

Game Developer
Nov 14, 2020
Hello!
Help me please, I've been racking my brains for several days.
I created a scene in a blender, transferred a character from a daz studio into it. When rendering in cycles, the scene is rendered normally, but the character's skin is a problem. Looks like plastic. In daz, it looks much more realistic.

Can anyone advise on how to properly handle the character's skin after importing from daz to blender (which nodes to use?) To make it look realistic? Or do you use third-party software to create skin textures?

Below is an example of what happened. Looks good, but not very realistic.
Thank you!

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
You need to recreate skin effects in blender to match the ones built into the iray settings, in your case you need a sub surface scattering, bump maps, gloss maps.

basic tutorial on sub surface, you can also google around and might get lucky and find a premade skin shader

Reactions: Honengen

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
SSS seems off and denoiser :censored: doesn't help at all.

Havn't used Cycles for ages but I think it's a solid simple setup for a start :

504ccfb952578122609e40dd14a1df.png b0e3192def9598a5cff29c923c7708.png

From the exellent (scroll down)
As said in the post, consider using export for a simili dual-lobe setup (which lot of Daz skin relies on) instead of gloss/clearcoat one imo.

Reactions: Honengen

Honengen

Game Developer
Nov 14, 2020
You need to recreate skin effects in blender to match the ones built into the iray settings, in your case you need a sub surface scattering, bump maps, gloss maps.

basic tutorial on sub surface, you can also google around and might get lucky and find a premade skin shader
SSS seems off and denoiser :censored: doesn't help at all.

Havn't used Cycles for ages but I think it's a solid simple setup for a start :

View attachment 1061064 View attachment 1061065

From the exellent (scroll down)
As said in the post, consider using export for a simili dual-lobe setup (which lot of Daz skin relies on) instead of gloss/clearcoat one imo.
Thank you, guys! I tried to apply the texture as shown in the image and the result turned out to be quite close to what I wanted. Thanks again!

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Use Eevee engine, full pbr mat, indirect lighting and engine settings(ao, ssr etc.)

Images, videos Eevee engine, everything is the daz model.
One image(4k) render time: max 1 minute
Problem with Eevee always been scattering surfaces for skin (and others parts but that one a big one).
Imho UE5 (and HDRP to some extent) offer better alternative than Eevee, in RT.

Feb 7, 2020
Problem with Eevee always been scattering surfaces for skin (and others parts but that one a big one).
Imho UE5 (and HDRP to some extent) offer better alternative than Eevee, in RT.
I've never used a UE5 before, so I can't answer. I use Eevee because my computer has low features

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Bumped into that for Eevee, couldn't help but to try it. Tested with 8 samples (for SSS too), refraction disabled and half trace enabled. So very low (artefact in shadows and SSS). Took me around ~5min for 250 frames on a 3090.

eevee-RSS.png

Shader itself is quite simple. I only used diffuse map, roughness/specular one, and the normal micro tile. Skin is Victoria 8.1.

blender_UYVxNKO2FX.jpg

Didn't bother with eyes and eyelashes. Specularity is a bit off as well as skin pores are too harsh, but nothing that can't be fixed. Adding a real normal map should be possible with an overlay & normal map nodes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
View attachment Head.webm

View attachment Body.webm

Last edited:

UncleNanard

I am to music what Kanye West is to adult games.
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
animation- 1 frame is rendered in a minute and a half, eevee too.
Hello, can you explain me how to export from Daz to eevee or Blender please ? Because that's look very good.

Feb 7, 2020
Hello, can you explain me how to export from Daz to eevee or Blender please ? Because that's look very good.
I use the 'Daz importer' plugin then edit/make the character's nodes more realistic in blender.
Then I set up a realistic lighting system for the scene and make special adjustments for the render (fine tunes).
Actually, this whole process is easy for me because I've done tests on this subject for months and improved myself. But it is difficult for someone new. A guide is required.
If you want, I can make you guide videos for a small amount. From the very beginning to the very end.
If you are interested, just send a message and we can negotiate.
I don't use iray render because it is very long and tedious. I am using 'Eevee' which is the bad render engine in Blender. It's incredibly fast (real time) and easy.
Also remember, my computer specs are very bad. If you have a powerful computer, you can render a 4K image in 30 seconds at most :)