Daz weird comportment...

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
What part of random rays do you not understand?
I'm sorry, I'm an empirical person who bases his knowledge on evidence... and I'm able to reproduce as many times as I want the same image if I render the same scene... but hey, I don't want to base only on my observations, maybe something is altering my reasoning ability, maybe you can put a survey in the forum to know what those who use the program think :unsure:

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I just leave this here if anybody is really interested in how iray works:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Don't be sorry, asking questions is how to learn.
Iray works fine for making static pictures, comic book, fantasy arts, etc. But because of the way that path tracers work, the secondary rays are random, rather than being calculated.
You're quite correct that path tracers can be designed to randomize their secondary rays, however they don't have to be, and iRay doesn't work that way.

Quote from one of the iRay papers authored by NVidia:

Iray Interactive now incorporates a new and unique approach to image sampling that speeds up the incremental refinement of an image by a factor of 10. This patent-pending approach uses the Quasi Monte Carlo (QMC) method to ensure high-quality imagery and efficient, fast rendering and Path Space Filtering (PSF) to reduce image noise.
While traditional "Monte Carlo" methods do use randomization, in this case their "Quasi Monte Carlo" method does not - it's actually deterministic. The NVidia devs have stated several time on the iRay boards that iRay does not use random numbers, as have several of the papers that have been published on iRay. And they'd obviously know...

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
You're quite correct that path tracers can be designed to randomize their secondary rays, however they don't have to be, and iRay doesn't work that way.

Quote from one of the iRay papers authored by NVidia:

While traditional "Monte Carlo" methods do use randomization, in this case their "Quasi Monte Carlo" method does not - it's actually deterministic. The NVidia devs have stated several time on the iRay boards that iRay does not use random numbers, as have several of the papers that have been published on iRay. And they'd obviously know...
Hi Rich

I still haven't had a chance to play your game, but I'll make a point to do it this week.

Before we delve into IRAY AI and why it's not included in the free software from Daz, or why Hollywood isn't using it yet.

Let's step back to the conversation we recently had about new technologies. A buddy of mine, fellow 4x4 racing and rock climbing enthusiast saw the new full-size Toyota T100 in 1992, and had to have one. I suggested he wait, but no he wanted to be stylin. I couldn't have predicted that the truck would literally break in half, and be recalled by the manufacturer, but I knew the design was unproven. Would you believe a few years later the same guy bought a Chevy Avalanche? What are the odds of buying two recall lemons in a row? Like webm, Iray is in the making, and one day it will be glorious, but the first try out the gate fell flat on it's face. I din't have to be a former rocket scientist with 20 years experience on Silicon Graphics systems, to see that coming. Iray will work eventually.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hi Rich

I still haven't had a chance to play your game, but I'll make a point to do it this week.

Before we delve into IRAY AI and why it's not included in the free software from Daz, or why Hollywood isn't using it yet.

Let's step back to the conversation we recently had about new technologies. A buddy of mine, fellow 4x4 racing and rock climbing enthusiast saw the new full-size Toyota T100 in 1992, and had to have one. I suggested he wait, but no he wanted to be stylin. I couldn't have predicted that the truck would literally break in half, and be recalled by the manufacturer, but I knew the design was unproven. Would you believe a few years later the same guy bought a Chevy Avalanche? What are the odds of buying two recall lemons in a row? Like webm, Iray is in the making, and one day it will be glorious, but the first try out the gate fell flat on it's face. I din't have to be a former rocket scientist with 20 years experience on Silicon Graphics systems, to see that coming. Iray will work eventually.

Iray is on the market for more than 7 years and was introduced to Daz 4 or 5 years ago...
Stop living in the past. You don't need to wait 20 years to see if a product turns out good enough.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Iray is on the market for more than 7 years and was introduced to Daz 4 or 5 years ago...
Stop living in the past. You don't need to wait 20 years to see if a product turns out good enough.
The rig sitting in front of me, can render 18 simultaneous vr cameras in real-time 4k. Who's living in the past?

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
well, I think it's a complete render because I had 100% in the progression bar
Just because a render is 100% complete doesn't mean it is finished rendering. It just means that it has satisfied the saved requirements (settings). You can modify the render time, iterations and various other settings to make the render engine do more things before it reaches 100% completion. If you're noticing specks where the renderer hasn't fully rendered the pixels yet, it hasn't finished and you will need to play with the settings so that a second pass can do it.

Reactions: recreation

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Just because a render is 100% complete doesn't mean it is finished rendering. It just means that it has satisfied the saved requirements (settings). You can modify the render time, iterations and various other settings to make the render engine do more things before it reaches 100% completion. If you're noticing specks where the renderer hasn't fully rendered the pixels yet, it hasn't finished and you will need to play with the settings so that a second pass can do it.
Do you know how to do that exactly?

The weird thing is I have rendered more complex picture than that and never had those white spots problems...

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
That's really weird... I just changed the character as brynhildr mention it and it worked just fine... no white dots at all!

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Some hairs are hader to render than others, could be the answer to the character switch issue.

Reactions: Spirox

EvilMonkey

Aug 20, 2017
...Do you know how to do that exactly?...
Google it and you'll find more complete answers than I can give.

That's really weird... I just changed the character as brynhildr mention it and it worked just fine... no white dots at all!
I've seen it happen on multiple pictures and it's usually some setting on the characters skin that requires more time to render. I have no idea why as you could have two characters that when rendered fully look the same but if you under do one of them, you get the unrendered pixels showing up all over the place.

Reactions: Spirox