Others Daz3D Help!!

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Im a complete noob on daz and im trying to create some game content. I think im getting good at it but im having some lighting issues - below is an example. how to i remove the blkac thing on her forehead? please advise black dot thing.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Im a complete noob on daz and im trying to create some game content. I think im getting good at it but im having some lighting issues - below is an example. how to i remove the blkac thing on her forehead? please advise View attachment 109714
This isn't actually a lighting issue, it's an issue of how the hair is fitting to the character's head, causing an iRay artifact. I've never gotten a good explanation of the underlying mechanics that actually result in the black showing, but this is the cause.

To explain: Most Daz hair products have a skullcap that fits to the (bald) figure's head, and to which the hair is attached. Depending on exactly how the hair product was made, and depending on what figure you fit it to, the skullcap may not fit perfectly onto the figure's scalp. When that happens, you get artifacts like this. Note that they only show up when you render, or if you have your viewport set to "NVidia iRay" mode - you won't see them in "Texture Shaded" mode - because it's iRay that gets freaked out for some reason.

I had a lot of issues with this with the Max character in our Game Legends game, as well as in the recreations of the daughter character from Dating My Daughter. It seems to be more prevalent when the character is scaled down from the default 100%.

The way to handle this is to use the "adjustment" sliders that virtually all hairs have, and adjust the size of the skullcap until the artifacts go away. Usually, this involves shrinking it a small amount - maybe 5% or so - but the exact slider or combination of sliders you need to use, and the exact percentage varies from hair to hair and from figure to figure. Note that the hair won't use the term "skullcap", it'll probably say things like "Adjust Head" or "Adjust Crown" or "Forehead Width" or something like that - different PA's include different adjustments - but you're looking for settings that relate to the size and shape of the head, not ones that move the hair itself.

For this, you probably need to adjust the overall hair size down a bit, or possibly adjust one of the forehead sliders, if the hair has them. You'll find this stuff by selecting the hair itself in your scene, and then using the Shaping tab or view. There's almost always a set of "Fit and Adjustment" (or similar name) sliders. Fiddle with the sliders with your viewport in "NVidia iRay" mode, and you should be able to find a combination of adjustments that cause this to disappear.

hair.png

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
This isn't actually a lighting issue, it's an issue of how the hair is fitting to the character's head, causing an iRay artifact. I've never gotten a good explanation of the underlying mechanics that actually result in the black showing, but this is the cause.

To explain: Most Daz hair products have a skullcap that fits to the (bald) figure's head, and to which the hair is attached. Depending on exactly how the hair product was made, and depending on what figure you fit it to, the skullcap may not fit perfectly onto the figure's scalp. When that happens, you get artifacts like this. Note that they only show up when you render, or if you have your viewport set to "NVidia iRay" mode - you won't see them in "Texture Shaded" mode - because it's iRay that gets freaked out for some reason.

I had a lot of issues with this with the Max character in our Game Legends game, as well as in the recreations of the daughter character from Dating My Daughter. It seems to be more prevalent when the character is scaled down from the default 100%.

The way to handle this is to use the "adjustment" sliders that virtually all hairs have, and adjust the size of the skullcap until the artifacts go away. Usually, this involves shrinking it a small amount - maybe 5% or so - but the exact slider or combination of sliders you need to use, and the exact percentage varies from hair to hair and from figure to figure. Note that the hair won't use the term "skullcap", it'll probably say things like "Adjust Head" or "Adjust Crown" or "Forehead Width" or something like that - different PA's include different adjustments - but you're looking for settings that relate to the size and shape of the head, not ones that move the hair itself.

For this, you probably need to adjust the overall hair size down a bit, or possibly adjust one of the forehead sliders, if the hair has them. You'll find this stuff by selecting the hair itself in your scene, and then using the Shaping tab or view. There's almost always a set of "Fit and Adjustment" (or similar name) sliders. Fiddle with the sliders with your viewport in "NVidia iRay" mode, and you should be able to find a combination of adjustments that cause this to disappear.

View attachment 110047
OMG it works! thanks for your help - this daz is both frustating and fun at the same time, im finding that its little things just make interesting. thanks again

Reactions: TAR313

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
OMG it works! thanks for your help - this daz is both frustating and fun at the same time, im finding that its little things just make interesting. thanks again
You're completely welcome. "Frustrating and fun" - great description of it... LOL

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I will suggest another approach.

You can spend hours changing the Shapping Fits and Adjusts and rendering to see how it goes (sometimes look fine on design but still appears after rendering). Or even spend another couple of hours playing with smooth modifiers (Edit->Object->Geometry->Apply Smooth Modifier).

Or you can spend less than 5 minutes in Photoshop using the stamp tool after render. Just point the stamp to a skin area (holding ALT) and then click on the black marks.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Or you can spend less than 5 minutes in Photoshop using the stamp tool after render. Just point the stamp to a skin area (holding ALT) and then click on the black marks.
No question that sometimes a little post-work is your best friend...

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Another method too is to hide the scalp in the final render. Some hairs are parted, so you can sorta see the scalp. Some hairs are full and bushy, and you can't even see the scalp. For those ones I just hide the scalp. See the top image in @Rich 's pictures with the 'scene tab?' The eyes under V stand for 'visible' so you can just make items invisible while keeping them in the scene.