Daz3D Rendering - CPU and GPU

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have heard different things about having the CPU option checked in Advanced Render Settings. I have a GTX 1060 with 6MB and my PC has 8MG ram. If I check them both, does that help? For some reason I think the CPU will be used first, but I'm not sure.

I usually just use the GPU but sometimes, when the geometry is high, I will add the CPU.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
If you let it use the CPU, it will use the CPU (and bog down your PC). Just uncheck it; it will still fall back to CPU if it can't handle the problem on GPU (usually because the scene is too big), and for any non-rendering tasks (setup/composition, etc).

If you're frequently finding your scene falling back to CPU, it's worth looking at the scene optimizer, and making sure you're disabling off-screen geometry that doesn't have massive impact on your lighting.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
If you have both GPU and CPU enabled, Daz will try to use them in parallel.

Daz does some interesting stuff when it has multiple rendering options. One of them is trying to "balance out" their use by observing how long each is taking to render portions of the image. If one of the rendering options is performing too slowly, it'll end up being cut out.

So, you'd think that if you rendered with CPU+GPU, that it'd be somewhat faster than rendering with just the GPU, since the CPU would be helping out some. In practice, that doesn't always turn out to be true - because the GPU is so much faster than the CPU, Daz can get unhappy with the CPU-side rendering speed, and may abandon it. And the overhead of dealing with that may actually cost you time.

Now, this may not affect you with a 1060 - I recall hearing about this from people that had hotter rigs, so that the CPU was much, MUCH slower than then GPU's, so your mileage may vary. Best way is just to try it with and without and see what you get.

Reactions: SteelyDan14

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for the info... I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a RTX, just can't decide if the 2080 is worth the extra $300 compared to the 2060.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
If you let it use the CPU, it will use the CPU (and bog down your PC). Just uncheck it; it will still fall back to CPU if it can't handle the problem on GPU (usually because the scene is too big), and for any non-rendering tasks (setup/composition, etc).

If you're frequently finding your scene falling back to CPU, it's worth looking at the scene optimizer, and making sure you're disabling off-screen geometry that doesn't have massive impact on your lighting.
I might try this, but I am pretty good about deleting crap that I am not rendering. I will even delete body parts that are not visible, but I may give it a try.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for the info... I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a RTX, just can't decide if the 2080 is worth the extra $300 compared to the 2060.
Buy 2070 super. It's better deal in every way. not buy 2060 because of only 6GB of ram if you want buy 2060 buy 2060 SUPER edition with 8GB

Reactions: f95zoneuser463

pilots2013

Oct 9, 2019
I usually use them in parallel, but I set DAZ Studio affinity in order to use maximum 75/80% of my CPU, so I can actually do other soft stuff while the rendering is on.

6 GB of VRAM should be enough for doing most things. You could manage to reduce the odds of switching to CPU using a texture resizer (frequently the textures are unnecessarily big) and disabling off-screen geometry.

Sometimes you could also render the background and the main figures separately joining them together afterwards if you're doing a close-up and don't need their shadows.

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
I have a GTX 970, i did uncheck CPU in render setting, but still, scenes with several lights + 2 chars + f.e a bed nothing else and my CPU takes the rendering, i dont get it :(
Maybe its cuz of the 4GB ( 3,5 VRAM ) of the GTX 970 ?

right know i am at 30 min + still rendering

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I have a GTX 970, i did uncheck CPU in render setting, but still, scenes with several lights + 2 chars + f.e a bed nothing else and my CPU takes the rendering, i dont get it :(
Maybe its cuz of the 4GB ( 3,5 VRAM ) of the GTX 970 ?

right know i am at 30 min + still rendering
Yes 4 GB is really small amount of memory, specially if you using genesis 8 characters and detailed hairs. Today is 8GB definitelly needed for some fair renders. Minimum is 6GB. If anybody have 980ti with 6GB, still not bad card, only that memory again brings it down.

Use scene optimizer, orcut scene into few separate renders in layers, like enviroment/furniture/characters.

Reactions: goditseb

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
Yes 4 GB is really small amount of memory, specially if you using genesis 8 characters and detailed hairs. Today is 8GB definitelly needed for some fair renders. Minimum is 6GB. If anybody have 980ti with 6GB, still not bad card, only that memory again brings it down.

Use scene optimizer, orcut scene into few separate renders in layers, like enviroment/furniture/characters.
time for RTX 3000 series to come out, i guess i have to wait 6-9 months :ROFLMAO: