Daz3D to RPGMV tilesets

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I haven't played this game so I haven't seen how it behaves to know for sure, but my guess is 3 things.

Things like the sprites are rendered independently, and based on the lack of perspective distortion, each character (an car) look to be rendered using an isometric camera (not sure if that is the term daz uses, or what mode, I use Blender instead). I myself prefer to have character rendered at a lower more front-facing angle vs an isometric building. An example can be that girl in the read shirt looks like the image was directly from the side rather than at an angle that looks down on her.

Some things look beter looking down, because RPG maker uses square tile and the only way to make square things stay square is to look down directly at them. the sidewalk that leads to the house or garage look square while the sidewalk for the street does not, possibly due to perspective distortion. Some things don't look to be square so they may not actually be a tile set (unless the grass was rendered as well on the edge of the square sidewalk tiles) but rather the whole scene could have been a simple render, maybe even just multiple layers of pre rendered stuff, and was layered together using something like photoshop to make the final image, and what you see is the final image, not a tile set.

I haven't seen what the inside looks like, but if it is daz asset and it doesn't look like a buch of blocky shapes, then it probably is not a tileset, but pre rendered using an isometric image, and then a bunch of invisible boundary blocks were used to make things seem physical and collidable.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
For rendering you just use an orthographic camera with an angle between 37 and 45 degrees (from looking straight down). Just pick whatever looks the best to you. I personnaly like the look of something between 37 and 40.

As for turning it into tiles, you will need photoshop or gimp for that. For photoshop (i dont use gimp sorry), you just create a grid with 48 by 48 pixels, and place your rendered assets into that grid. Each square is one RPGMaker tile. I'm not sure what size a tileset is, but google is your friend for that.

Second option is just not using a tileset all together, and instead use paralax mapping. With this you pretty much just create the whole scene and use it as a background picture in RPGmaker. Then place invisible boxes over the picture to determine if some part can be moved on or not. Just look up paralax mapping, there are a ton of tutorials for this. You would create a second separate picture for the parts you could walk under (like the lampposts, trees, etc.)

To create this background you got two options again. First one is rendering each element separately. The biggest advantage is that its easier to make everything align with the grid (you still are sort of limited by the grid in your placement), and you can just copy paste the same object multiple times. Largest downside is that the scene will look like separate elements. The tree in front of the house wont drop a shadow on the house for example. You can add those all in photoshop, but thats a lot of work. There might be an option in DAZ to render only a single element while being effected by everything in the scene (you would get the shadow of the tree, but not the tree itself), but no idea how.

Second option is just creating your whole scene in DAZ and render it all in 1 go. For this you need to find a way to create a grid overlay in DAZ for your cameraview, so you can align all your assets with the grid. I assume you can do that somehow, but no clue how. Largest benefit is that you can create the whole scene, and make it really look like everything belongs together. I think this is the what NLT does for his Lust epidemic and Treasure of Nadia.

Leeduva

Mar 3, 2020
For rendering you just use an orthographic camera with an angle between 37 and 45 degrees (from looking straight down). Just pick whatever looks the best to you. I personnaly like the look of something between 37 and 40.

As for turning it into tiles, you will need photoshop or gimp for that. For photoshop (i dont use gimp sorry), you just create a grid with 48 by 48 pixels, and place your rendered assets into that grid. Each square is one RPGMaker tile. I'm not sure what size a tileset is, but google is your friend for that.

Second option is just not using a tileset all together, and instead use paralax mapping. With this you pretty much just create the whole scene and use it as a background picture in RPGmaker. Then place invisible boxes over the picture to determine if some part can be moved on or not. Just look up paralax mapping, there are a ton of tutorials for this. You would create a second separate picture for the parts you could walk under (like the lampposts, trees, etc.)

To create this background you got two options again. First one is rendering each element separately. The biggest advantage is that its easier to make everything align with the grid (you still are sort of limited by the grid in your placement), and you can just copy paste the same object multiple times. Largest downside is that the scene will look like separate elements. The tree in front of the house wont drop a shadow on the house for example. You can add those all in photoshop, but thats a lot of work. There might be an option in DAZ to render only a single element while being effected by everything in the scene (you would get the shadow of the tree, but not the tree itself), but no idea how.

Second option is just creating your whole scene in DAZ and render it all in 1 go. For this you need to find a way to create a grid overlay in DAZ for your cameraview, so you can align all your assets with the grid. I assume you can do that somehow, but no clue how. Largest benefit is that you can create the whole scene, and make it really look like everything belongs together. I think this is the what NLT does for his Lust epidemic and Treasure of Nadia.
How much would cost me? To pay you to make a video tutorial on what you just said?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I'm not really interested in making video tutorials, besides there are already tons of videos for the part that might be confusing (paralax mapping). I'm happy to help you if you got some further questions though.

Reactions: Leeduva

Leeduva

Mar 3, 2020
I'm not really interested in making video tutorials, besides there are already tons of videos for the part that might be confusing (paralax mapping). I'm happy to help you if you got some further questions though.
I see. I just can't find the videos, but I'm going to keep looking, thanks!

Jul 14, 2018
I see. I just can't find the videos, but I'm going to keep looking, thanks!
What part specifically are you wanting a tutorial for? for example, showing how to build the image out of layers using Photoshop/GIMP (the general idea is going to be interchangeable).

Reactions: Leeduva