Daz DAZ3D using CPU to render rather than the GPU

MrGhostRider

Jun 7, 2017
My Rig is a Laptop with GTX 1650 4GB. As the title says, renderings takes place on CPU alone which makes the usage shoot up to 100%. I Googled and found out that it may do that when the memory is not enough in the GPU. So i tried only a partial of the screen to render and same result. So i Googled further and found that there's a setting is advanced rendering (which was a lot harder to find in the menu). So i unticked CPU in that setting. Now the rendering still takes place on CPU but the usage is around 45% to 50 %.

The actual GPU is used when inside the DAZ3D but it's used barely for UI related tasks, so i know that the GPU is being recognised by the program.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I have an old laptop with GPU GeForce 960m with 4GB RAM. For scenes that need a lot of memory, rendering falls into CPU rendering regardless of the CPU/GPU usage settings. Sometimes it happens that the complex scene does not start to render at all and the rendering ends in error.
A few quick tipss:

1) Make a backup of the entire scene. In each copy of the scene, hide or delete any objects that are not visible in the render and that do not affect the render in a significant way, such as blocking light from a particular direction. Deleting saves more memory than hiding.

2)Use Daz scene optimizer and reduce the resolution of some textures.
3) Restart Daz before demanding rendering to completely free up GPU memory .

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Your RAM is very likely to be the problem, 4G is very easily filled with Daz assets.

Sometimes I make complex scenes that eat up a lot of RAM and when I try to render is always jumping to CPU rendering.
Daz also uses memory to keep the "undo" information in the scene.

When that happens I have to save, close Daz, and then open it again to load the scene I was working on.
After doing so I proceed to render and it goes to GPU without problems.