Ren'Py Default preferences in different Ren'py games

Mat Skyfire

Darth Skyfire
Donor
Jun 28, 2017
Hey all,

so here's the thing, i'm not a developer myself but i dig a lot about it, so i have some knowledge about coding.
Some games have different default preferences, like "skip unseen text" or not, or the display being fullscreen or window.
What i want help is how do i change those settings? Cause some games don't save my preferences once i close and launch they again. I imagine it should be something to do with the preferences.py file in renpy folder, but i can't seem to figure out. So either i wanted to change the default preferences of the game or find a way so the game "save" my preferences...

Thanks in advance and sorry if i misspell something.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Some preferences are set inside game\options.rpy, I think. I thought the game remembered them though.
Anyway, I would NOT edit the stuff inside the renpy folder: I'd overwrite the rules set by the developer instead.
For instance you can create a text file, name it "my_prefs.rpy", write what you want like that:
Code:
init 999:
    default preferences.fullscreen = False
    default preferences.skip_unseen = False
save it and move it inside the folder named "game". The 999 forces the game to load your preferences after everything else. A list of preferences can be found .
Edit: before "default" there must be 4 spaces (or a multiple of 4).

Mat Skyfire

Darth Skyfire
Donor
Jun 28, 2017
Some preferences are set inside game\options.rpy, I think. I thought the game remembered them though.
Anyway, I would NOT edit the stuff inside the renpy folder: I'd overwrite the rules set by the developer instead.
For instance you can create a text file, name it "my_prefs.rpy", write what you want like that:
Code:
init 999:
    default preferences.fullscreen = False
    default preferences.skip_unseen = False
save it and move it inside the folder named "game". The 999 forces the game to load your preferences after everything else. A list of preferences can be found .
Edit: before "default" there must be 4 spaces (or a multiple of 4).
Thank you very much

Mat Skyfire

Darth Skyfire
Donor
Jun 28, 2017
I thought the game remembered them though
Most of them do, but Second Happiness doesn't, which is what i'm trying to play atm, and one or two i don't remember the name.
I tried creating the rpy file inside the game folder, but it didn't change the default preference which is skip "all messages" and not "seen messages", maybe because the developer set different than the standard ren'py preferences tab... anyway thanks for your help.
I'll also not change anything in the renpy folder like you said so i don't make a mess

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Most of them do, but Second Happiness doesn't, which is what i'm trying to play atm.
I have downloaded the compressed version (I haven't tested the full one). In its "game" folder there is a file that overwrites your settings:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Delete both unren-skip.rpy and unren-skip.rpyc and try again. It works on my pc.

Reactions: Mat Skyfire

Mat Skyfire

Darth Skyfire
Donor
Jun 28, 2017
I have downloaded the compressed version (I haven't tested the full one). In its "game" folder there is a file that overwrites your settings:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Delete both unren-skip.rpy and unren-skip.rpyc and try again. It works on my pc.
It worked, thank you again and sorry for the trouble you had

Reactions: scrumbles