cycloprofane

Jun 3, 2019
if reworking isn't done yet, and they're going into new new content, i don't think we're getting this game any time soon..

Jan 21, 2018
sign...sever month for no actual new content,they really should save the new design for their next game,not current one
You are 1000% right here.

If your game works out -> Finish game. Put what you have learned from game into game 2. If you like the story/protagonists in game 1 continue it in game 2.

But yeah. The patrons wanted the rework. They paid for it. They get their rework.

Reactions: lilithcp

Torek

Mar 15, 2018
You are 1000% right here.

If your game works out -> Finish game. Put what you have learned from game into game 2. If you like the story/protagonists in game 1 continue it in game 2.

But yeah. The patrons wanted the rework. They paid for it. They get their rework.
i dont really agree.. if its your first game, you will try to improve it as you learn. and 'finish game 1 and start game 2 with new strat'. first, a game takes a lot of time to finish, specially if you are alone or indie. and second, all the ideas you have might not apply to the new game..

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
They start to rework same render, and this rework thw whole game will be great. Persanlly I agree on rework whole game whit ne art style in whole game. It became awsome and charcter stunning. I love this game, becous ther are present my nation, story and female protangoist. Go on to rework whole game, continue reworke it. Don't give if haters said that, the dont' wont new art in this game. But I would see how this rework will became to be in the end, the story and quests missing. But this relly work.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
They start to rework same render, and this rework the whole game will be great. Personally I agree on rework whole game with new art style in whole game. It became awesome and character stunning.
Underestimating the impact of time is a way to ruin projects. The fans voting on changes don't have full understanding of how long it'll end up taking and the amount of content disappears into the ether as a consequence of rework.
"rework" means you made a mistake that you're going to fix with another mistake, it should be the last option.

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Underestimating the impact of time is a way to ruin projects. The fans voting on changes don't have full understanding of how long it'll end up taking and the amount of content disappears into the ether as a consequence of rework.
"rework" means you made a mistake that you're going to fix with another mistake, it should be the last option.
For full rework them need tima to make it. Please don't ruin it for you anger, I know perfectly the most quest are missed or don't finished with rework. This chenge need time and months. Maybe 6 months wee see it finshed with rework in whole game.

Jan 21, 2018
i dont really agree.. if its your first game, you will try to improve it as you learn. and 'finish game 1 and start game 2 with new strat'. first, a game takes a lot of time to finish, specially if you are alone or indie. and second, all the ideas you have might not apply to the new game..
You can improve your existing game by making new quests/events/additions better.

The time argument misses the point. A game (obviously) takes time to finish. The real question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I want to spend my time unfucking spaghetti code and building on that code? (including fixing all the previous events/pictures)" or "Do I use my established workflow to finish this game and write clean code/use new artstyle in chapter two of my game?"

Is the rework worth it? That is the point. Will people enjoy the reworked version more than a chapter Two? IMHO that is totally dependant on the person playing.

Reactions: Taak

ray3dave

May 12, 2017
I'll throw in a few words as well. I liked the game a lot in its most advanced version. Same as everybody here I was waiting impatiently how the story would go on. And of course it was a big disappointment what happened after that. I think everybody around here wants to see the very game we got to know to be done. There are two ways to get ot done, rework the existing content, what is happening with Defenestration since some months if not a year (sadly, that's were all the frustration and anger come in). Or they could have started a remake. I am pretty sure "fresh mulan" have discussed their options and maybe understimated the effort it would take. Whatever. Being annoyed does not change a thing.

My suggestion to everybody who loved the first draft (like I did) is to try to stay positive on that project and supportive on the dev. I follow this site for quite some time and many promising games got abandoned (the most bitter loss for me was "Valiant Warrior Astrid"),others seem to get overly complicated in development ("Female Agent" - it's hard to believe that they will deliver something someday, still I keep hoping).

What I am trying to say is, that I am glad that they keep working on "Defenestration", and as much as I am tired of waiting I am positive that after all this time they will come out with something great. The last two releases were a total fiasko. But they did not give up. I would not want to be in their position after that. If we want to see the game come to live we should try to find patience. I am pretty sure "Fresh Mulan" does not intent to annoy us.

Shado10

Jun 17, 2018
I'll throw in a few words as well. I liked the game a lot in its most advanced version. Same as everybody here I was waiting impatiently how the story would go on. And of course it was a big disappointment what happened after that. I think everybody around here wants to see the very game we got to know to be done. There are two ways to get ot done, rework the existing content, what is happening with Defenestration since some months if not a year (sadly, that's were all the frustration and anger come in). Or they could have started a remake. I am pretty sure "fresh mulan" have discussed their options and maybe understimated the effort it would take. Whatever. Being annoyed does not change a thing.

My suggestion to everybody who loved the first draft (like I did) is to try to stay positive on that project and supportive on the dev. I follow this site for quite some time and many promising games got abandoned (the most bitter loss for me was "Valiant Warrior Astrid"),others seem to get overly complicated in development ("Female Agent" - it's hard to believe that they will deliver something someday, still I keep hoping).

What I am trying to say is, that I am glad that they keep working on "Defenestration", and as much as I am tired of waiting I am positive that after all this time they will come out with something great. The last two releases were a total fiasko. But they did not give up. I would not want to be in their position after that. If we want to see the game come to live we should try to find patience. I am pretty sure "Fresh Mulan" does not intent to annoy us.
just can agree with you, valiant warrior Astrid hit me the same way D:

Reactions: KonD:R and ray3dave

Seipherwood

Sep 8, 2017
I think the major problem is they decided to redo 2 entire parts of the game at the same time. They chose to redraw all the scenes and change how the MC looks (for the worse imo but whatever) and then they also chose to redo a ton of the background mechanics.

At that point, the only thing that hasnt changed was the story, so they kinda had to re-build the entire game.

Makes me wonder if they are still milking their Patreons.

Reactions: Taak

ray3dave

May 12, 2017
It is not possible to milk patreons because nobody gets forced to become or stay one.

Nymphonomicon

Jan 10, 2019
It is not possible to milk patreons because nobody gets forced to become or stay one.
You forget, this is F95zone. People love to accuse game designers of being scam artists taking it easy off the cash of others. Building a game is easy peasy in the eyes of many people posting here, if you're not pumping out updates every other week, then clearly you are taking advantage of others. Surely writing a story, drawing all the art, coding, and testing a game should only take you a few days- and if you run into unforseen problems or have any difficulty delivering, you're just making excuses.

Jan 21, 2018
That is assuming that there are no idiots. Some people are naive, others have low self-control and willpower. Add to that psychological effects like sunk cost, delayed gratification or impaired decision making while horny. Let's face it, we all have this friend with shitty self-control who has never saved a cent in his life ("I HAVE to buy those games but I have money again next month").

The truth is there are developers who do the least amount of work for the maximum amount of money and abuse stupid/addicted people. You can call that efficient. You can say that the people are adults with free will. I think it is still unethical.

However I don't think that the defenestration guys fall into that category. I think they are doing a great job, they just underestimated the amount of work doing a rework. They were backed by the patrons however, so everything is fine. I don't have any insight into the code, but from my experience doing something from scratch with new experience is often not much more time consuming than fixing old mistakes.

frrrr

Oct 7, 2019
Did they postpone it again?
New Progress Report is posted on Patreon, can somebody tell me what is it about?

noctred

Nov 25, 2017
They really just need to stop giving release dates.

Every time they fail a deadline they come back with "we are so sorry, we hate that this keeps happening" or whatever. The simple truth is that apologies lose value and meaning when you continue to do the same thing again, and again, and again, and again. At some point it just turns into a sad joke.

If you can't keep to your release dates on a more or less consistent basis, just stop giving release dates.

4.00 star(s) 103 Votes