Depth of field

3D Novelist

Sep 17, 2020
Do you guys prefer games where the renders have Depth of field or renders with everything being sharp?
I mean general renders, not if the blur/Depth of field effect is used to indicate movement and such.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Personally, I prefer everything to be sharp. With DoF used when the mc is focused on a specific thing or person.
That said, some games I've really liked the art style of using a minor DoF instead of sharp and the greater DoF to denote focus.

As with so many things in the AVN games, I think you would be better spending time focused on what YOU prefer rather than what the player's want.

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
As with so many things in the AVN games, I think you would be better spending time focused on what YOU prefer rather than what the player's want.
Hallelujah. Devs who crowdsource their game design direction usually do not finish their projects. The leader has to have a clear vision. If the game needs changes or rework, launch a 2.0. Don't let randoms on Patreon design your artistic project. It will be less art and more likely a hodge-podge that appeals to no one in particular.

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
For me, I fall into the Depth of Field bracket for most scenarios, especially character interactions.
The main reason for this, I feel it me with a deeper sense of immersion. However, it's not the be all and end all.
When creating scenes, I also feel it's a tool I can use to focus the players attention.

As I'm in the process of creating a few render, I decided to see how they looked with and without the depth of field.
For the first scene:
AAA_Lounge_Intro_9.png
AAA_Lounge_Intro_9_NoDoF.png
For this, I still prefer the DoF personally (even if the background is a bit over blurred and the TV light is way too big). This is mainly because I'm keeping the focus between the interaction between the two characters and not on other things (like the guys dirty fingernails and exactly what the envelope says).

For the second, it's probably a bit more obvious where the players focus will be however:
AAA_Lounge_Intro_10.png
AAA_Lounge_Intro_10_NoDoF.png
Here again, I feel I prefer the DoF one, mainly, because this time it's from the perspective of the guy and hopefully, it's telling the player where he's focused on and not just the player.

So for me, I'm definitely in the DoF camp (of course, there's always exceptions), but as mentioned earlier, do what you like as that's what you will know best.

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
I'm a big fan of DoF just so you don't lose details in the main focus of the image. They can get lost between the main object and it's surroundings if everything is sharp. Just a little depth of field, to me, works wonders. Just as Probably_Dave shows, a sharply focused carpet against sharply focused clothes loses detail of the main object. (Despite the image being over-loaded with detail.) And it brings the eye to the subject of the images. In this case, tittahs...