MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
it's 1GB , you download it in like 7mins . average driver has 1TB . If it was let's say 4GB then yeah that would be a fair point of wrong advertisement but honestly its just a gif game with early to none story behind it . Give the guy a brake and if you want to help people with their project just point the mistake , dont try to make them look bad by putting the players in between
Man, I am a player. One of them, just like the rest of us here. And I'm tired of devs who can't press that goddamn printscreen. I'm tired of devs who don't respect their own work, who just copy others' CSS and markup style (this one's from Patriarch btw lol), who make cheap generic unplayable garbage.

I'm not trying to offend the dev, I'm pretty sure they're a nice fella irl, but the only thing I should care about as a player is the product itself. And when it sucks from the very start, from the screenshot section, I call it a garbage.

Cause I believe in this industry, I believe people can produce way better quality, I can give you a dozen of examples of great games built on Twine. But if we keep being so undemanding to the industry, we'll never get it better.

Yes, I'm a dev myself, yes, I have that tag under my name, so you're free to consider my message as... some sort of a weird self-promotion(?), if that will suit you. But I'm just gonna hope you'll get my point right. There's no way you can get good games by supporting bad games.

Anyway, maybe I got too emotional, of course I'm sorry if I'm rude, but that's just how I see it. I do give a fuck about such details. And I believe everyone should.

ChillVibes

May 14, 2022
Man, I am a player. One of them, just like the rest of us here. And I'm tired of devs who can't press that goddamn printscreen. I'm tired of devs who don't respect their own work, who just copy others' CSS and markup style (this one's from Patriarch btw lol), who make cheap generic unplayable garbage.

I'm not trying to offend the dev, I'm pretty sure they're a nice fella irl, but the only thing I should care about as a player is the product itself. And when it sucks from the very start, from the screenshot section, I call it a garbage.

Cause I believe in this industry, I believe people can produce way better quality, I can give you a dozen of examples of great games built on Twine. But if we keep being so undemanding to the industry, we'll never get it better.

Yes, I'm a dev myself, yes, I have that tag under my name, so you're free to consider my message as... some sort of a weird self-promotion(?), if that will suit you. But I'm just gonna hope you'll get my point right. There's no way you can get good games by supporting bad games.

Anyway, maybe I got too emotional, of course I'm sorry if I'm rude, but that's just how I see it. I do give a fuck about such details. And I believe everyone should.
Maybe you should speak with him in private?, you could give him suggestions of what you think he could improve?.

H_NGM_N666

Nov 25, 2020
Uff, well, Facef…M is your game and what you want to tell us is that this dev disrespect us „players“. I dont think that you look in the mirror when you write this posts, with the background that FFM is your game. ;)

We „players“ build our own oppinion of the games and the most times we give every dev a chance to improve.

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
Uff, well, Facef…M is your game and what you want to tell us is that this dev disrespect us „players“. I dont think that you look in the mirror when you write this posts, with the background that FFM is your game. ;)

We „players“ build our own oppinion of the games and the most times we give every dev a chance to improve.
The thread is not about my projects, but you're welcome in their threads with your opinion, criticism and remarks. That's how it should work. Devs produce content, players give feedback. That's the only way to make the whole industry better. But yeah, of course, why should we, let's pretend garbage isn't garbage and be nice and cheerful with any kind of trash (even with mine trash, since you didn't like it).

Draevis

Nov 30, 2019
Don't go into the cabin, in the toilet at the nightclub. There is no way to leave. Once you go into the cabin, the only choices are to try to save the monkey, flush the monkey, or use the glory hole.
In fact, there is no way to leave the nightclub. The only choices are to dance or go to the toilet

the image 1.jpeg in the gloryhole folder is never referenced in the game. Looks like is should be renamed to 1.jpg.
Looks like when interacting with the glory hole, the game randomly picks which image to show. It looks like the HTML macros for those images are not properly terminated with a closing >

Draevis

Nov 30, 2019
The coding for this game needs a lot of work. There is a variable $local that if false, seems to mean you don't own the local shop yet. If $local is true then it seems you own the local shop. Somehow, my $local is currently 26. So I don't own the shop, and I can't see the option to try to buy it.

An example of bad programming practice and violation of the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle is in the code for when you go to sleep. A random number is generated (1 through 42) for various dream scenes. Then instead of using a Switch/Case statement, the variable is checked through a series of If/else if statements. Ok not so bad, but the real problem is that code for passive income from owning the local store or the tattoo parlor, incrementing the day number and such is repeated in each If/else clause. The If/Else or Switch/Case statement should only control which dream sequence is displayed. Then after, do the maintenance just once because it doesn't vary by which random dream you have.

So, I edited my copy of the HTML file and pulled out all the money handling, energy handling and such outside of the IF/Else statement. Then I noticed that the text for your dreams has only 3 variations. The first is if the random event variable is 1, the second for events less than 20, and then all the rest. So I pulled all those repeated texts out of the IF/ELSE structure handling the dream images and created a simple If/Else for the three possibilities of the text.

Okay, I found out why my $local is 26... because this same variable is used for the random events while working at the local shop. Which uses another If/Else structure rather than a Switch/Case statement. Also, the code for working in the local shop violates DRY by replicating the money gain and energy loss for working in each of the 28 possible branches.

Last edited:

sherconshadow

Oct 11, 2017
has anyone figured out to get to the new update content all the new places are blank or you get stuck in the toilet

Draevis

Nov 30, 2019
I also noticed in the HTML that every single image and video is wrapped in a <center> element. This can be accomplished with a <style>. for example, in the <style> named "twine-user-stylesheet" I created a selector
.passage :where(img, video){
display: block;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right:auto;}

This selected all images and videos inside elements with class of passage and centers them left to right.

• Sad
Reactions: KhamulTG81

Vicatno

Mar 17, 2019
The update downloads unzip into an EXE file that installs a bunch of malware onto your computer as well as asking if you want to install additional programs. No actual data.

qetip

Oct 18, 2018
That 1.2gb zip can be lowered to around 100-200mb if you convert all your animated images to video (mp4 or webm) and it will look the same.
Then simply add attributes to the video element for loop, auto start, hide controls... and it will look just like a gif.

You can also go one step further and compress the still images too (but you will notice some loss in quality on them - depends on how much you lower the quality).
Also only use png for icons that don't have many colors, best use-case for png is the ui elements. I ran the png optimizer and got 40-50% file size reduction with no loss in quality.

Here's a sample of what can be done:
You'll see your unoptimized files are 15mb while the optimized ones are only 1mb.

Do something before it's too late...

Fred the Red

Mar 9, 2017
Nice concept but man, the engrish could use some work. The text is what makes these games actually worth playing as games instead of just randomly clicking through the image folders so it's worth putting effort in, even if english isn't your first language. I totally get it if you don't want to sit down and study grammar for what might be a side hustle but even then you could run texts through tools like grammarly to get good pointers, or if push comes to shove there are some good translators like deepl you could use and just write in your native language.

Reactions: rockworld

AJ

Apr 29, 2017
name of the woman in GIF #5? skimmed through the thread n didn't see it asked but apologies if it already has been

2.40 star(s) 35 Votes