Ren'Py Abandoned Detected After Dark [v0.1.2a] [Blastel Studios]

2.90 star(s) 7 Votes

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Why is everyone so hard on Geeseki?
I couldn't care less that its similar to STS, I care that the games developed slower despite being worse in everyway. Plus Miss Allaway
Summertime Saga is a huge project made by an experienced and motivated team of coders and an artist who also have the better part of a literal million Dollars as a budget every year. Its original creator DarkCookie spends his time making art when he’s not busy with family or other things. From listening to his Stream, I’d judge to be a highly motivated and joyful person. He also isn’t above going for the lowest common denominator in his game design. If the fans want something, they usually get it. (I.e. one big-boobed woman after another.) It can take upward of 6 months to release an update.

A Town Uncovered was the idea of some kid fresh out of high-school who never fully learned how to code and found a simple artstyle they can do reliably. GeesekiVN has ~7% of the budget Dark Cookie has, which I’d judge to be enough for a single person to conveniently live off. The small extra is used to pay two part-time inexperienced cheap coders and someone to help write the story. Geeseki has written about mental issues several times (depression, I think), to the point of suspending payments on Patreon because they knew they couldn’t deliver at some point. Geeseki’s vision for the game is also quite different from what most players want, close to abandoning the sex world that drew many of them to the game in the first place. The game has had an update every 2 months for several years now.

Comparing the two projects without taking the above into account is silly. They are very different projects with different circumstances.

That said, I’m being hard on Geeseki because they take regular month-long breaks from development while still being paid, leave game-breaking bugs in the game for months on end, and generally seem very negligent and careless in the quality-control part of game development. Seriously, some parts have been broken for a year now, some dialogue has been written in the code for even longer but Geeseki forgot to make sure it actually triggers if you click the characters, etc.

I’m very glad that Geeseki is not the programmer of this game.

you will play for 10 minutes clicking a button, seeing nothing and then fail because you discovered 0 out of 4 anomalies in a place where there is nothing happening"?
The images on the cameras don't change at all, but I'm losing. The shadow from the TV in the hall blinked once, after that nothing happened
I highly recommend taking screenshots of the rooms and then alt-tabbing between the game and the screenshots to find the differences. I’ve found the game much more enjoyable after doing that. (And my highscore rose from 12 to 25).

Some changes are still invisible to me, though, even with that cheat.

ZoneIT

Apr 17, 2020
Why is everyone so hard on Geeseki? He's actually a cool guy how is trying to make a game with god knows how much art by himself. If it's due to the fact that ATU is similar to Summertime Saga, well...SS isn't exactly an original concept either. Games like those two have been around for years before. So, why not just enjoy the game for what it is, enjoy the actually fairly good, if honestly sometimes long winded, writing, and get the guy some slack.

How much is Geeseki paying you to say this ???
If you do some research for 5 minutes you will know that Geeseki is a scum and a lazy developer.

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
If you do some research for 5 minutes you will know that Geeseki is a scum and a lazy developer.
Have you even read my post? I’ll repeat myself:
they take regular month-long breaks from development while still being paid, leave game-breaking bugs in the game for months on end, and generally seem very negligent and careless in the quality-control part of game development. Seriously, some parts have been broken for a year now, some dialogue has been written in the code for even longer but Geeseki forgot to make sure it actually triggers if you click the characters, etc.

Saithir

Jun 24, 2017
I highly recommend taking screenshots of the rooms and then alt-tabbing between the game and the screenshots to find the differences. I’ve found the game much more enjoyable after doing that. (And my highscore rose from 12 to 25).
Sounds to me like a bad workaround to crap gameplay, to which I have a much better solution which involves the delete key.

I too highly recommend it. Life's too short to bother with crappy games.

YoruichiSh

Feb 5, 2019
what should i do when the warning sign appears and then disappears on the bottom right? is it just the indicator to show that im going to lose?

McKraken

May 13, 2017
The description sounded like a decent concept, but the execution is boring, nearly impossible to win, and not at all erotic.
This is where I'm at. Haven't played the game this premise is apparently erotically jumping off from, but the idea of a spooky-sexy "spot the differences" game is appealing.

But little size changes or little object shifts aren't going to cut it, especially since we're not given a heads up or in-game ready access of what the rooms look like normally (I assume the first few in-game minutes are the default before stuff starts changing?).

The tip about using screenshots is sound...but also demonstrates the issue, for me. I'd like there to be some in-game, designed way to be directed.

Something like a quick pop-up text in the corner like "Minor anomaly potentially detected in: Kitchen."

If you want to keep it unclear, something like "Minor anomaly potentially detected in: Kitchen (Accuracy: 30%)" leaves the possibility that maybe nothing changed...or maybe it did. Tension!

Such a system would also introduce another layer of potential ways to mess with the player.

"Minor anomalies detected in: Kitchen, Basement, Bathroom (Accuracy: ??%)"

"Major anomaly detected in: [REDACTED]"

"No anomalies detected, you can relax. ; )"

Also worth noting: Out of three earnest attempts thus far, my best record was 7 of 11 and the only "sexual content" I've noticed so far was a
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I understand there's some variety and RNG involved but...might wanna up that sexy/sex ratio if this is gonna be an adult game.

Last edited:

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Hey! Thanks for the feedback, will look into something like that, see what we can do to add more audio/visual hints
Turns out pretty much every feedback is the same. The above is Geeseki’s response.

Here’s the twitter thread:

StarDust379

Feb 20, 2021
With hints and screenshots I managed to make it to 5 A.M. in 15 or so attempts. No sexual content apart from a couple of dildos on the walls. It's like Observation Duty but harder and less fun with this anomaly rng. 80%~ of times you get an object anomaly, which is so hard to see, espesially size anomalies. Such a waste of time

Reactions: mrra

ollieollie

Feb 25, 2020
Game is pretty neat on paper but it's on dire need of polishing, the animated anomalies only showing up once and then permanently disappearing are probably a understandable mistake with the coding but the shrinking/growing items are just bullshit,i thought they were going to be noticeable size changes, then i stumble into the bathroom thrash can barely growing an inch, there are ways to make that work, the easiest one is just removing it but if he must keep them either give the player some visual hints on an object changuing size, the toilet is the best example of this, whenever it shrinks you can see the cutout of the carpet in front of it, or just add something that tells you when there's an anomaly on the room, as it is now the game is just kind of infuriating.

Reactions: Vexzion

Hikari231

Oct 13, 2020
Yo anyone got cheats for this because it's kinda getting hard spotting the difference in here I only got like 2/6 never got to the erotic parts tho

Nov 13, 2017
Don't get me wrong, with how flawed the execution was, the idea is still pretty strong and interesting. Although, i can't help but feel cheated when i go through a run and encountered nothing remotely naughty. Also, i don't know if it's a bug or not, but the anomaly where
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
took away my left and right buttons after i cleared it, but when i bring up the "make a report" menu, the buttons come back. A bit annoying at the very least.

Suncatcher42

Aug 12, 2019
So how exactly is my mind consumed by the horror of... a tube of toothpaste being a couple inches away from where I left it? I think? Except that I submitted an 'object moved' report and they said that was negative.

I like the concept but the execution is just staring at six completely unmoving images until I'm informed that I failed.

Nov 13, 2017
So how exactly is my mind consumed by the horror of... a tube of toothpaste being a couple inches away from where I left it? I think? Except that I submitted an 'object moved' report and they said that was negative.

I like the concept but the execution is just staring at six completely unmoving images until I'm informed that I failed.
You say that, but i would be slowly but swiftly losing my mind were that to happen to me, because i live alone.

2.90 star(s) 7 Votes