• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Dev Diary: Fertile Blessing

May 13, 2023
When Hank got an internship in the university lab under the sexy Dr. Wilma, he didn't realize that his entire world was about to change. But in the DNA of a lost human ancestor was something that would transform everyone who came in contact with it. Soon Hank will find his boss being changed, even he himself is becoming different, stronger, more powerful... more dominant. What will Hank do? Make one woman his? Gather a harem? spread the blessing to the world? Unravel the mysteries of the DNA and become its master? You decide!

Once, long ago, I wrote erotica for Amazon. And times were good. Then Amazon started getting more restrictive, and I wasn't willing to risk a permaban+losing all my royalities, so I dropped my adult pennames. But then I realized that I had a ton of half-finished novels, some time, and a desire to do something new, so decided "why the hell not, I haven't coded since 1985, but what's the worst that can happen?"

Fertile Blessing is a renpy game based on the unpublished story of the same name, where an accidental release of an RNA virus from an extinct branch of humanity is going to have an impact on our PC and his characters. (fetishes: MC, BE, transformation (tall to short)*, muscle growth (male), Male dominant, harem*, pregnancy*) Anything with a * is optional and can be ignored if the player isn't into that.

To date, I have successfully created a program that lets you walk all over campus and town, and introduce yourself to your doctor. Not much else, but I expect to have a very, VERY early beta ready for release in a few weeks.

What I am doing:

1. Keeping my expectations low. If people love it and my patreon lets me buy a small island, cool. If not, cool, because I learned Renpy and Python, can try again, and if you're not prepared for failure in the writing business, you're in the wrong business.
2. Focusing on incremental improvements, rather than trying to add a bunch of stuff at once.
3. Having an ending already in mind. This isn't a game that goes forever it has an ending. Pragmatically, by the time I finish it, I figure I'll see enough issues with my earlier work that it'd be wiser to either totally redo it or go on to something else.

Project specific assets:

1. Phases. I've divided the project into several phases. The first one, creating the world, and letting the character walk around in it, is completed. The next one will be adding the main plot, without a lot of the choice branches.
Each addition will start out with "flat progression" more like a novel than a game, and then have the game components added so I know where to look if something breaks.

2. Art.
Art will start as AI art, and if the game becomes popular that might be replaced by human art. HOWEVER, I'm a fairly decent stable diffusion runner, and have used it for some of my covers. The goal of this will be providing art assets while learning how to make SD art generations, via LORAs or Checkpoints, sufficiently similar in clothing and look that they will be... not terrible.

3. Crying. I'm certain everything will go wrong at some point, as I realize I spent two hours screaming at the computer and didn't realize I'd accidentally left a stan in there when the name variable was Stan. I've budgeted crying time.

I don't really expect this to become a tremendous hit, but I'm putting it here because well, when I start putting it out, this'd be a good place for feedback and information on what I'm doing right or wrong--because Lord, I know I'm gonna be doing something wrong.

Reactions: HB38

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Welcome, Julie L Griffin

That sounds like an interesting premise, and hopefully your specific writing experience leads to that happy intersection of good writing, enjoyable player agency, and actually sexy scenarios.

As long as you are clear in-game and in-thread why you are using ai art as placeholder assets, the sensible crowd will not care. You'll find many complainy-pants keyboard warriors angry about AI art, but just ignore them - they were never going to contribute anyway.

you are good at programming?
I'm not sure that this matters very much for a basic Renpy VN. If you are a logical thinker and can keep organised with assets, and plan ahead for pathways, decision variables and player stats you should be fine - i.e. you've ever played D&D before. There's certainly plenty of resources and help available for renpy.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Deleted member 5194087

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2022
Welcome, Julie L Griffin

That sounds like an interesting premise, and hopefully your specific writing experience leads to that happy intersection of good writing, enjoyable player agency, and actually sexy scenarios.

As long as you are clear in-game and in-thread why you are using ai art as placeholder assets, the sensible crowd will not care. You'll find many complainy-pants keyboard warriors angry about AI art, but just ignore them - they were never going to contribute anyway.

I'm not sure that this matters very much for a basic Renpy VN. If you are a logical thinker and can keep organised with assets, and plan ahead for pathways, decision variables and player stats you should be fine - i.e. you've ever played D&D before. There's certainly plenty of resources and help available for renpy.
Yea the things you mentioned are more important than knowing programming.

Reactions: osanaiko
May 13, 2023
I'm learning on it. Renpy is pretty straightforward as is Python which is why I chose it rather than Unity or other engines. So far I've gotten the main locations fixed (nothing broke), basic plotline (nothing broke) and am working setting up some of the functions and such (some things have broken). I'm working on a "trunk and branches" plot--the main plot can be done quickly and is pretty short, while I can easily add branches once I get the main thing done. I wouldn't expect too much out of this game :), I'm aiming for simplicity and learning rather than something super complex out of the gate.

• Love
May 13, 2023
Well, first set back. Did a lot of stuff, realized the program was getting a little complex, and am currenlyt involved pruning stuff and using the CALL rather than the jump junction so I don't have quite so much repetition. I was going to put a map in, but I've decided to hold off on that, because right now it's not needed and I think will add a lot of complexity. You can walk around the city, but not a lot happening.

• Red Heart
May 13, 2023
Hmmm... you know that moment you thought: well, that bog isn't THAT deep, I'll just walk on through? And the moment about five seconds later when you realize... yeah it is?

I'm glad I didn't put up any deadlines because hooboy... I'm likely going to be tearing out huge parts. i've learnd a few things.

1. If you think you have enough comments, double them, because then you might not be stuck going: what the hell was I thinking there?
2. Any "minor" learning issue regarding Renpy and Python? Won't be, especially if this is your first time.
3. Minor changes that add just a little complexity, will actually double and treble your complexity...and break something. Likely, everything.
4. The computer hates you. yes. You. Personally. And it enjoys your pain.

With my hard earned knowledge, I'm ripping about half out, because it's probably better to start from scractch with what I know now rather than try to keep changing things around.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There's a saying in development circles: for any green-fields project, plan to throw away your prototype. There is so much learning you do about the problem domain, discovering not just thing you don't understand how to do, but also finding numerous "unknown unknowns" - things you had never considered but turn out to be vital to the process.

Good luck though! the thing that gets you somewhere is persistence more than anything else. Persistence is way more important than pre-existing skills.