Dialogue box and character menu shows squares instead of texts after importing texts from Vitamin Quest ver. 1.04 to 1.06

Apr 26, 2017
Hey all, I'm in the process of importing the translated texts from Vitamin Quest 1.04 to the latest version 1.06, and after I finished importing a page, I decided to test in out and I encountered these squares, after searching online it apparently has something to do with the font?

I checked other dialogues in the 1.06 version like the intro dialogue and it doesn't use Japanese quotation marks, same thing in 1.04, but still those squares appeared in the character menu; the level, health and mana(?) symbol are all squares in 1.06 while 1.04 its all fine.

I tried reinstalling the actual RPG maker program and the RTP to see if it'll fix the issue but those squares are still there.

I can import the texts without the quotation marks but the level, health and mana symbol being affected bothers me to no end. I don't even know if those squares where there before I started importing the translated texts.

Edit: I redownloaded the 1.06 version of the game and the health, mana etc symbol are fine, so I think I did something wrong when I imported the texts from ver 1.04, I'll try importing the texts again and see what went wrong.
Edit2: Okay, so I discovered that RPG Maker VX is the cause. For some reason after saving the game in RPG Maker VX without doing anything just save and play, it messes up the texts and symbols, perhaps I'll search around and find a solution for this.
Edit3: Feels a bit stupid typing this but I managed to find the solution, it appears that to make the squares go away I have to run the game in Japanese locale using Locale Emulator, I've tried it running is from RPG Maker VX after running the program first with Locale Emulator and launching the game both with Locale Emulator running and it all works flawlessly. Although I don't understand why it has to have Locale Emulator running, even though I have my System Locale set in Japanese.

Last edited:

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Japanese locale using Locale Emulator, I've tried it running is from RPG Maker VX after running the program first with Locale Emulator and launching the game both with Locale Emulator running and it all works flawlessly. Although I don't understand why it has to have Locale Emulator running, even though I have my System Locale set in Japanese
Yeah, I was going to initially suggest that it might have something to do with your Locale Emulator settings not being in Japanese which is why your application did not recognize the OS language as Japanese and then some of those mistranslated images/text occurred as a result.

Even if your System Locale is set in Japanese, I believe the application-specific (i.e., the game's) local emulator settings also need to be enabled and launched in Japanese for the app to detect the output properly. It is an extra redundant step but sometimes with these RPGM applications they can be a bit finicky especially when texts/symbols are transposed and re-translated from another language to EN.