Seeking Difficult RPGs?

trolbol29

Dec 26, 2022
I played Melty's Quest a while back and enjoyed it, but I'm interested in any RPGs aimed more towards the "unfair" side of difficulty (or a game that takes lots of trial and error to understand). I heard about Karryn's Prison recently and the game description on itch interests me, so I'll give it a whirl.

What I'm looking for are games like LonaRPG that starts off pretty challenging from the get go and has any degree of lewdness to it. I only played a bit of the Lona demo and never made it too far but I'll be picking it up shortly and giving the latest release a whirl.

Any recs for RPG games with big difficulty curves will be appreciated!

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I personally hate that type of design with a passion, but analysis of Fear & Hunger makes me wish I didn't. If you want hard and unfair, it's probably the best you'll find. Just don't expect much of any H. My favorite is SKA, which, while I could handle it just fine on Normal first time, a lot of players find it challenging. I wouldn't call it unfair, though trial & error is a good tactic for the boss battles, it doesn't limit your saves like F&H. You'll almost certainly need to consult the at some points, though not necessarily for the fights.

Last edited:

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
I played Melty's Quest a while back and enjoyed it, but I'm interested in any RPGs aimed more towards the "unfair" side of difficulty (or a game that takes lots of trial and error to understand). I heard about Karryn's Prison recently and the game description on itch interests me, so I'll give it a whirl.

What I'm looking for are games like LonaRPG that starts off pretty challenging from the get go and has any degree of lewdness to it. I only played a bit of the Lona demo and never made it too far but I'll be picking it up shortly and giving the latest release a whirl.

Any recs for RPG games with big difficulty curves will be appreciated!
I am recently playing through Elona+ and the game has really deep gameplay mechanics and RPG elements to it (as well as a very deep and overarching storyline). It's got essentially zero sexy fun time/H elements to it (apart from soliciting sex from other NPCs and/or prostitutes in the game but H content is not a core focus of the game at all. It is entirely an RPG/Adventure/Exploration/Rogue like kind of game.

You will also need to consult the as well in the game because it does not handhold you much throughout the gameplay. But the game does offer a pretty decent tutorial at the start and an in-game help menu. But there is a lot of trial and error involved in determining how to build your character, what dungeons to explore for loot, weather effects to watch out for, and those types of complex gameplay elements that are not always made obvious and/or unambiguous from the get-go.

trolbol29

Dec 26, 2022
I personally hate that type of design with a passion, but analysis of Fear & Hunger makes me wish I didn't. If you want hard and unfair, it's probably the best you'll find. Just don't expect much of any H. My favorite is SKA, which, while I could handle it just fine on Normal first time, a lot of players find it challenging. I wouldn't call it unfair, though trial & error is a good tactic for the boss battles, it doesn't limit your saves like F&H. You'll almost certainly need to consult the at some points, though not necessarily for the fights.
Yo thanks for the speedy post!

Fear and Hunger looks like right up my alley, just the game I'm looking for and little to none H is fine. I'll also check out SKA while I'm at it.

This also reminds me of Battletoads for the NES and the whole onslaught of kaizo mario games out there, but I'm looking more for strategically difficult/unfair games (FE:Awakening on Lunatic+ is a mid but valid example of this).

trolbol29

Dec 26, 2022
I am recently playing through Elona+ and the game has really deep gameplay mechanics and RPG elements to it (as well as a very deep and overarching storyline). It's got essentially zero sexy fun time/H elements to it (apart from soliciting sex from other NPCs and/or prostitutes in the game but H content is not a core focus of the game at all. It is entirely an RPG/Adventure/Exploration/Rogue like kind of game.

You will also need to consult the as well in the game because it does not handhold you much throughout the gameplay. But the game does offer a pretty decent tutorial at the start and an in-game help menu. But there is a lot of trial and error involved in determining how to build your character, what dungeons to explore for loot, weather effects to watch out for, and those types of complex gameplay elements that are not always made obvious and/or unambiguous from the get-go.
Sweet, I'll add this to the list as well (y). Taking a look at it I can already see there's a lot to take in, sounds like it'll be a fun ride, especially if it has roguelike elements as well.

Speaking of I should also have asked for some rougelike reccs but I'll take a look around to see what pops up. Thanks again for the recc

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Sweet, I'll add this to the list as well (y). Taking a look at it I can already see there's a lot to take in, sounds like it'll be a fun ride, especially if it has roguelike elements as well.

Speaking of I should also have asked for some rougelike reccs but I'll take a look around to see what pops up. Thanks again for the recc
Sounds good, yeah you are in for a really fun time (albeit a challenging one at that) with Elona. The game has a ton of deep gameplay mechanics to it that can add a layer of complexity.

rougelike reccs
Speaking of roguelikes, not an H game at all per se, but , I found to also be another challenging RL game that I had played some months ago. Might also be worth looking into if you are after such genre of games.

eugeneloza

Jan 2, 2022
You can try - it's a bondage-oriented roguelike.

Not so difficult but still fun enough - first-person dungeon crawler with quite unique combat.

- another roguelike, not to my taste, but might be worth a try.

- match-5 with a lot of fun mechanics, highly recommend.

And finally you can try Vinculike - an action roguelite by yours truly :) Still in early development but already playable and hopefully enjoyable.

I guess Heroine Rescue Team should go as a honorable mention, also Skyrim/Fallout which can be modded into any spice and flavor, however "bigger mods" require some modding skills and time.

Reactions: trolbol29
Apr 30, 2022
Shrift can be very intensely difficult, especially on higher settings. You need to play a lot of the encounters nearly perfectly and losing will make them permanently harder until you beat them again.