Ren'Py - Abandoned - Disgraced [v0.4] [Shady Siren]

1. 2.00 star(s)

rentaku

Plot doesn't make sense but takes itself seriously.

The way the MC is blackmailed is laughable. The MC budges too easily and the blackmailer goes way overboard with her threats.

The chemistry between the MC and his wife is weird. Healthy sex life in one render and then the wife is too shy to be seen nude showering.

It unexpectedly turns into a click grinder with no expectation of further plot. At this point I gave up so I don't have much else to tell you.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.1...

The current content of this one primarily involves just the story introduction and a tiny bit of game play, and then you run out of things to do... I may get into a bit of Spoiler territory with this review, so be warned...

The character visuals are alright, with a few of the models looking slightly familiar... The backdrops are a mix of slightly unique ones, to ones I've seen dozens of times before... The user interface is clean, with some basic picture based navigation for inside locations and a overhead city map for city navigation... There is also a very basic hint system on what must be accomplished next... The one animated sequence was alright as well, being mostly fluid... There were some place holder visuals during the board meeting, which I guess is alright, although it still looked strange...

The script is a mixed bag, although mostly readable, it has a bit of broken English along with the occasional spelling/grammar error... The plot (as far fetched as it is) revolves around a male protagonist who lives with his wife and step-daughter... Then a bunch of crazy stuff happens concerning his job and their lives...

Here is where I need to go over the far fetched plot points of this VN/Game... So the stuff with his company being bought out, that kind of stuff happens... But when the head of the new company fires the male protagonist (who was the CEO of the company that was bought out) she goes into all this non-sense about blackmailing him from seeking any legal recourse... He just capitulates and goes on... When he goes to find new jobs, somehow she knows the exact time he goes for interviews and stone walls him from getting those new jobs, at completely different companies? With no background as to why that should even be a thing... When he finally gets a job, suddenly some girl comes along who kind of strong arms him into helping her seek revenge? Even though right out the gate, the first step they take is the protagonist black mailing someone else for money, who doesn't even seem related to the prior story content? And all of these things are happening at a very fast pace, and sound so haphazardly just thrown in, more like excuses for his predicament, then anything actually believable...

Another issue I found was with the wife character... At first it seems as though they have a great relationship, and even have sex (which felt more like just an erotic enticement teaser then anything meaningful to the story telling)... Yet when the introduction elements are over, and it switches to a navigation style game design, she pretty much kicks him out of the bathroom when ever she is showering... What? They are married and seem to be alright with one another, why would she kick him out of the bathroom every time? Married couples tend not to have issues showering in front of, or around one another... Just another plot hole that made no sense...

In the end, once the intro is done, you don't see much more content, beyond a brief game play plot to seek revenge...

The game play mechanics appear to be your standard navigation style grinder... Although the basics of the navigation seem to work fine, you can't really tell for the moment if it will be a stat grinder with money and character stats, or just a visual novel hidden behind the veil of open navigation style game play... I did have to repeat the work mechanic several times over a two day period before the remainder of the available content played out...

The characters themselves seem rather hollow at the moment, and some are stereotyped and possibly even a bit over the top... The little amount of story with the vengeful female character also felt a bit rushed and over played... Can't tell if the protagonist is a wuss, a victim of circumstance, or good guy going bad... Maybe all three?

Overall, there really is not much to this VN/Game so far, as it is primarily a hastily played introduction followed by a very brief amount of game play content... The introduction story elements feel rather absurd, but it is what it is... You see many of the typical elements many of us have seen before as to the initial out-the-gate content for most starter projects in this niche industry, which is kind of sad, as it is so not original... Feeling more like it is just a ploy, to grab some initial donation money without really doing much to earn it, out the gate...

This project is in it's very initial development phases, so there is obviously room for improving itself... Will it do that or will it stay the current course and be just another ruff in the ruff? We'll have to wait and see... Obviously the developer/s have the navigation system working alright... Will I revisit this one? I don't think so, as I'm not impressed at all with what I've seen thus far... It lacks much originality, and the initial story premise feels too far fetched, for the moment... If it get's better and perhaps does some re-vamping, maybe then I might take another look...