Dizty dev seeks animation assist...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Choppy/stuttering video is purely a matter of too much data not being delivered quickly enough to the screen.
More precisely, and unless the screen size is really too big, it's the difference between two frames that matter.
Basically speaking, video compression rely at first on a diff between two images, and only the differences are kept then compressed ; reason why it's so difficult to have a clear pause on a video. Then, every X frame, there's a key frame (the full image) that will be used as new base.
Therefore, the more there's differences, the more there's to proceed between each frame ; and so the more there's risk of stuttering.

He said that it happen only with the videos "that have big camera movements", what tend to confirm that it's the reason. Therefore, the only way to solve the issue here is to use a compression algorithm that will be fast enough. Or to have smoother camera movements.
But anyway reducing the number of frame would probably not really solve the problem here. It would imply more time to proceed the differences, but also imply more differences to proceed.

You might want to consider using H.264 (x264) for video and AAC for audio within a MP4 container.
Yes, the file will be bigger - but it's a much older standard and as such, it's CPU requirement for decoding the video is lower.
That said, Android is kinda optimized for VP8/VP9... so maybe it's not the boost I hope it would be.
In the same time, it's to expect that the mobile device would have hardware optimization for H.264, what is better than a software optimization. There's possibilities of hardware optimization for VP8/VP9, but it's less likely that an old device use it.

Reactions: Cul and recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Personally I use VP9 at max 50fps (usually 30 for android), I didn't have any complains about that lately. With 60fps I used in earlier releases I had a few hiccups myself (and a lot of complains), I have a high end pc & smartphone, so knowing that most people don't have such hardware I had to reduce the fps.
Btw I also tried mp4, but that didn't make any difference at the same quality level.

Reactions: Jestur

Jestur

Nipples Dev
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2018
Personally I use VP9 at max 50fps (usually 30 for android), I didn't have any complains about that lately. With 60fps I used in earlier releases I had a few hiccups myself (and a lot of complains), I have a high end pc & smartphone, so knowing that most people don't have such hardware I had to reduce the fps.
Btw I also tried mp4, but that didn't make any difference at the same quality level.
I just tried using the Cruncher by bas to batch all the webm videos and when I loaded it up on my android to try it, no videos show, it's either black or shows the image.
:(

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I just tried using the Cruncher by bas to batch all the webm videos and when I loaded it up on my android to try it, no videos show, it's either black or shows the image.
:(
No idea what happened there, better ask in the thread or ask bas
Btw the cruncher reduces the quality considerably, it's even visible on android. It's great if you want to give your players a lower file size option, but I wouldn't use it for a main release.

Reactions: Jestur

Jestur

Nipples Dev
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah, I know. I was going to make a compressed version for android. I'll just forget about that for now and reduce the animations down to 30 fps for the android version and hopefully, that helps with the stuttering.
I normally use premiere or handbrake.

Reactions: recreation

Jestur

Nipples Dev
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2018
No idea what happened there, better ask in the thread or ask bas
Btw the cruncher reduces the quality considerably, it's even visible on android. It's great if you want to give your players a lower file size option, but I wouldn't use it for a main release.
Thank you for replying, btw.