Do you like to customize the name of the MC?

Do you like to customize the name of the MC?

• Yes

Votes: 78 70.9%
  • No, I like a fixed name

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • No, I like a nameless MC

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
I think it depends on the story.
I mean, you don't name the mc of an anime, manga, or novel, and that's always fine.

in my next game, I give players the option of renaming the MC, but highly recommend against it.

Belphegor007

Aug 23, 2016
I think it depends on the story.
I mean, you don't name the mc of an anime, manga, or novel, and that's always fine.

in my next game, I give players the option of renaming the MC, but highly recommend against it.
That argument works less in a medium where you are fucking characters for hours on end where you can end up playing a game that has your dad's or brother's name which can murder any eroticism the game can have.
If you are going to use a fixed name use a fantasy or uncommon one at the very least

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Greiya Archives

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
When my game first launched players demanded that I would allow them to change the MC's name. I thought it was silly then and I think it's silly now but I added this ability.

Why it's silly? Because all storytelling art (Literature, Cinema, video games) is based upon the principle of the viewer/reader/player identifying with the protagonist whether that protagonist is a female archeologist, a hobbit or a robot. I can't relate with the claim that players need to identify with the MC's name in order to enjoy the game, that's not how storytelling works.

Why I added this ability anyway? Because it took me 5 minutes to implement it, it's not an issue I was going to fight players over. Having said that, I always refer to the MC as Karder and most fans use that name as well.

Reactions: Vanderer

haksaw

Oct 10, 2019
Isn't allowing for custom names make conversations stiffer? You can't use puns or some derivative names to liven up things. Like it would be really stiff and boring in my native language to only use a single basic form of a name. In English it's less pronounced, but still.

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
That argument works less in a medium where you are fucking characters for hours on end where you can end up playing a game that has your dad's or brother's name which can murder any eroticism the game can have.
If you are going to use a fixed name use a fantasy or uncommon one at the very least
LMAO! but yeah it's a fantasy name

OldMoonSong

Jun 2, 2018
I usually prefer to use my own name and actually dislike even *seeing* the default name in the prompt, as that imprints "the canon name is ______."

To use a different name would make me feel more like an observer, a voyeur. I prefer to immerse myself in, and as, the character.