Do you prefer a longer intro focusing on story, or adult stuff right at the beginning?

Story or Sex?

• Good and long Story

Votes: 67 69.8%
  • Moar Sex pls!

Votes: 29 30.2%

• Total voters

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hey :)

Some of you might know that I'm working on a game for a while now and I'm at the point where a alpha or even beta release might be realistic in the next few weeks.
I've focused a lot on the story for now and there are not many adult scenes in the game at all at the moment, especially the intro doesn't contain any.
Now if it would be an ordinary intro I wouldn't mind personally, but this intro goes on for over several (ingame) days and I have the feeling that it's just a bit too long for some people without seeing any adult stuff on screen.
So my question is:
Is it better to include some random sex, or just focus on the story? What do you think?

I know most of you will most likely say that the middle is the best way, and I'm absolutely on your line here, but that's not the question^^

Reactions: Goblin Baily: DILF

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
In my opinion, sex without the story is boring. You can throw in some optional quickie (with some minor character) to cover those who don't like to wait, but the story should take priority.

If you get the players to care about the characters, the lewd stuff is much more rewarding later on.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
In my opinion, sex without the story is boring. You can throw in some optional quickie (with some minor character) to cover those who don't like to wait, but the story should take priority.

If you get the players to care about the characters, the lewd stuff is much more rewarding later on.
I think some sexual tension buildup would be appropriate. Some down-blouse, bend-over ass shot, shower peep, accidental dropped towels, daydreams, etc.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018

Some of you might know that I'm working on a game for a while now and I'm at the point where a alpha or even beta release might be realistic in the next few weeks.
I've focused a lot on the story for now and there are not many adult scenes in the game at all at the moment, especially the intro doesn't contain any.
Now if it would be an ordinary intro I wouldn't mind personally, but this intro goes on for over several (ingame) days and I have the feeling that it's just a bit too long for some people without seeing any adult stuff on screen.
So my question is:
Is it better to include some random sex, or just focus on the story? What do you think?

I know most of you will most likely say that the middle is the best way, and I'm absolutely on your line here, but that's not the question^^
Just two quick examples of games I've really enjoyed:
1) Depraved Awakenings-sex almost immediately, with two interesting characters I wanted to know more about
2) The Deluca Family-no sex for several episodes, with a whole family of interesting characters and story I wanted to know more about

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
If your story is actually interesting and not just some slice of life drama, the majority will be fine with no sex.
But it does require a captivating story and interesting premise.
As France said - no sex in my game yet, but that hasn't been something that dragged my game down, and I dare to say my game is doing well.

But there is a point with your wording that is perplexing. You say that the intro is long and your question is regarding the story and sexual stuff.
Intro and story are not one at the same. Make the intro short. Never infodump and make long character introductions. Short and sweet. Then you can focus on the main story and have it as long as you want.

Don't try to add meaningless sex just because you fear some will be annoyed that there isn't any at the start.
Don't underestimate your (future) player base. They do not need a long-ass intro to know what's going on. Infodumps just make it worse. They also know if a dev just added a character in just for a quickie and out again. Those scenes are mostly skipped past. People want to get to know the female and the buildup. A side chick that goes in for a quickie won't do anything for them that an x-rated video couldn't.
An engaging story will make 99% give it a big thumbs up. 1% will make a fit on why there is no sex. But focus on the 99%. Not the 1%.
Your first release should focus on what your main strength is. If it's the story, ace it.

Good luck with it.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Don't try to add meaningless sex just because you fear some will be annoyed that there isn't any at the start.
+1000 aproval from Kuko... (fanboy skill unlocked, the skill adds 3 stacks of "that's alright" , 1 stack will be consumed every time this dev messes up. when it reaches 0, Kuko will express disaproval)
Don't underestimate your (future) player base.
They do not need a long-ass intro to know what's going on.
I wouldn't mind...

Reactions: Akamari

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017

So my question is:

play some good games and try to see what makes them good....
by @Nottravis is a good example of a VN heavy on story without boring infodumps

K18

Apr 19, 2018
I'd say focus on the story, setting up the tone and have your protagonist & other characters personalities fleshed out.

Don't know your plot, so they may not fit your story, but if you were to add sex in the intro, here are some ideas so it's not completely random:
1. Protagonist with a heroine who happens to be a prostitute, first-time or as a regular client (like "Depraved Awakening" or "Family Matters [Perv2k16]").
2. Maybe in a casual sex or friends with benefits relationship.
3. Or is in a committed relationship from the start.

Reactions: Namco15 and Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of the last two options, because those need proper introduction as well.

The "This is your girlfriend, you love her and fuck her every night. Now, go on. Do your thing." is not good enough. Always makes me want to dump them at the earliest opportunity.:)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I think some sexual tension buildup would be appropriate. Some down-blouse, bend-over ass shot, shower peep, accidental dropped towels, daydreams, etc.
Some of this is there of course, but not in the actual intro.

good adn long story at the begining, then no story at all
Thats... not the way I'll go^^

If your story is actually interesting and not just some slice of life drama, the majority will be fine with no sex.
But it does require a captivating story and interesting premise.
I'm a bit nervous about exactly this point. Is the story good enough or not. But I'm actually never satisfied when I create something. It's a curse :cry:
It's not a slife of life drama, that I can tell.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the people say when it's time.

But there is a point with your wording that is perplexing. You say that the intro is long and your question is regarding the story and sexual stuff.
Intro and story are not one at the same. Make the intro short. Never infodump and make long character introductions. Short and sweet.
I'm going a bit different route here. Many intros are like: "You're John Doe, someone close to you died and you move somewhere else. Your life will changer forever... now play".
I want the player to see what happens, why the mc chooses to do what he does. Why he changes his life, why he has feelings (good or bad) for some people etc.

1. Protagonist with a heroine who happens to be a prostitute, first-time or as a regular client (like "Depraved Awakening" or "Family Matters [Perv2k16]").
None of this will work for the intro, but thanks for the input :)

K18

Apr 19, 2018
I'm not a fan of the last two options, because those need proper introduction as well.

The "This is your girlfriend, you love her and fuck her every night. Now, go on. Do your thing." is not good enough. Always makes me want to dump them at the earliest opportunity.:)
Yeah :) and most games with committed relationships usually have the protagonist cheating right away.

None of this will work for the intro, but thanks for the input :)
No problem :).

Reactions: Akamari

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I'm a bit nervous about exactly this point. Is the story good enough or not. But I'm actually never satisfied when I create something. It's a curse :cry:
It's not a slife of life drama, that I can tell.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the people say when it's time.
It's always a question any story writer ask himself about his story - will anyone even like it?
But it's a gamble well worth taking. I had the same feeling before releasing mine. And my story is not really seen in these parts so hard to really gauge how it would have done. That is also why many devs tend to stick with popular stuff that has been proven by other devs that took a gamble.

I'm going a bit different route here. Many intros are like: "You're John Doe, someone close to you died and you move somewhere else. Your life will change forever... now play".
I want the player to see what happens, why the mc chooses to do what he does. Why he changes his life, why he has feelings (good or bad) for some people etc.
I can follow you on what you trying to do. I still think however that even with that you can merge that into the story.
Give some glimpse on what your mc has been through in the intro. Engage your audience. Make them ask questions.
Throughout the story, you can explain in-depth some part of MC's reasonings. Little by little. Not too much to explain everything yet enough to make them understand that little part of him but still wanting to learn more. It helps to build character, immersion, and engagement.
Telling it all from the get-go can ruin the magic a bit. All questions about mc are answered within the first few mins.

Not saying it can't work. In the end, you are the author and you know what's best for your story.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Telling it all from the get-go can ruin the magic a bit. All questions about mc are answered within the first few mins.
Oh no, this is not going to happen. The mc has a history that is teased in the intro but will unfold in the main story. The intro is more about why he moves and makes the decision to live where he ends up to live in the end.
It will not be as special as the deluca family storywise, but I hope it's still interesting enough^^

Reactions: HopesGaming

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
I personally like a good intro; meaning we establish the world, the characters, and the rules. Like, in this story is it normal for guys and gals to lust after siblings or sneak into bathrooms and perv on each other or is that seen as unacceptable? Basically, you want to let the player know what kind of story we're getting into and show how those characters fit. Then, when the sexy times happen to those characters we care about them and the scenes become hotter.

One thing though, in here you're already thinking the intro is long and if you're asking us, then it probably is. I wouldn't throw sex in there just yet unless it works, but what you can to is tease. Maybe someone wears a really tight shirt, or you go swimming, etc. A nice tease is sometimes more erotic then just some random sex scenes with no build up.

It's tough, I know, I'm in the same boat as you except way way further back in development.

skazy

Dec 14, 2017
Thats... not the way I'll go^^
hey, i was kidding :D i actually prefer a quality story line in a game, but the creator shouldn't forget this is still an H-game. sometimes, they implement a long ass romance, you know, there is a game that is a slow born love story between a dad and his daughter and it took them 20 updates to f* each other. don't do this, please :D
a good story and quality in romance is not equal blue balls for years

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
I think for a first version midnight paradise from lewedlab was really well done from long intro to all character introduction.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I would give both options.

Diversity is key: You can have a normal progressing relationship or you can have a slutty girl that you can bed in a few scenes, it will be a bleak character at first but then you can develop it from there... "Why is she so slutty?" -> Discover past events, get closer to her, (...) both work imho.

Of course a good intro is mandatory, you need to let the player know at least the basics of your world, the place in which you live and of course the protagonst's goals among the main things but even when it comes to the introductions you can do the classic hentai scene and then, once it is over, the protagonist says "How did it come to this?" and that would be where your "real" introduction starts.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
there is a game that is a slow born love story between a dad and his daughter and it took them 20 updates to f* each other. don't do this, please :D
Don't worry, this is not gonna happen^^

Reactions: skazy