Do you prefer set the name of MC and other primary characters?

Do you prefer set the name of MC and other primary characters?

• Yes, I like to name all the primary characters

Votes: 31 18.6%
  • I'm interested only in MC name

Votes: 71 42.5%
  • Not important

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • No, I prefer fixed names

Votes: 30 18.0%

• Total voters

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
I saw this argument in a thread.
Let's see how many want the option of changing characters' name.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Changing the MC name to my own makes me feel more connected to the game as it enhances the fantasy that I am the main character. This, to me, is more important than changing the names of other characters. I get that changing their names as well can further enhance the fantasy if you change them to names of people you know, like in the case of incest games where you can change the names to that of your own relatives, but I feel it's better to not change them and just simply embrace the fantasy of you being the main character in these fictional worlds.

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Doesn’t matter… it’s up to the game more
If game are rpg with heavy story back story characteristic the old name is a must

But with adult game
I don’t see much difference
Because I play for sex scene and not really find any game has story that interesting me
And i don’t play vn game…
I mean vn game it’s like you read a novel
Or for real it’s a sex story
So the name is just there not much important to change it or not

Reactions: Greasy Handcock

JRD

Feb 4, 2018
Meh.jpg

I don't really have a preference. Most of the games I've played/enjoyed from here only give the option for first name so not a big deal.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Always love it when the number of votes outweighs the number of comments. :confused:

I feel like there should be a rule that you have to comment in order to vote because it would be nice to see what people have to say about this and, you know, have an actual discussion.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Always love it when the number of votes outweighs the number of comments. :confused:

I feel like there should be a rule that you have to comment in order to vote because it would be nice to see what people have to say about this and, you know, have an actual discussion.
No dude, it is the law of 90-9-1.
90% of people lurks, 9% take a little (aka votes in survey of a forum), 1% are productive for a community (aka post comments in a forum).
It's the law of the web, you can't impose them your will.
I instead thank them to have voted and I thank the f95zone staff to have created this space.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I like naming the MC, but I would prefer the other characters to have their own default names. Part of that is im just not creative enough to name them and it makes talking about them easier in the threads. You can just say "Yeah, that is Katie's route" instead of "Yeah, thats the blue haired girls route" for example.

Reactions: Boogie

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
I prefer to rename the MC but am ok either way with setting other character names. What has caused issues for me before is where you can rename some characters but not others. In DMD I actually named the daughter the same name as that girl you meet at the beach which caused some really weird conversations. I do remember playing a game a long time ago that actually said "here are some names that will be used for other characters" to prevent that sort of thing but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I like naming the MC, but I would prefer the other characters to have their own default names. Part of that is im just not creative enough to name them and it makes talking about them easier in the threads. You can just say "Yeah, that is Katie's route" instead of "Yeah, thats the blue haired girls route" for example.
Yeah, it can get a bit confusing. I renamed all the sisters in Sisterly Lust to glamour models that I like and when I'm on that thread and people use the original names I'm like, "who?".

• Haha
Reactions: Hajtand

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018

giphy.gif

Anyway back on topic it does matter to me either way, if can watch a game without having to add names then I am happy with that.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I prefer to rename the MC but am ok either way with setting other character names. What has caused issues for me before is where you can rename some characters but not others. In DMD I actually named the daughter the same name as that girl you meet at the beach which caused some really weird conversations. I do remember playing a game a long time ago that actually said "here are some names that will be used for other characters" to prevent that sort of thing but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
Something similar like that happened to me too, but I also can't remember what game it was, only in my case one of the other male characters had the same name as me because I always rename MC's after myself. They also didn't talk about this guy in a friendly manner because he was a bit of a dick and it would often feel like they were talking about me :LOL:.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I prefer games where I only rename the MC (and if renaming him is not an option that's fine too).

Naming all the players seems a little silly to me, tbh. If I'm in a story I should just meet people who have their own names, not make their names up for them. To me it makes the whole experience less immersive...

Reactions: Boogie

Carion_Crow

Apr 10, 2018
Most games I have played only let you rename the main character. But its fun to rename all the character, I will never say no to more options.
My favorite names include Bob, The one with the tits, Loli, Washboard, Ditz, Oppai, Lemon, Bug, Asshole, Target 1, Target 2, Bitch, and of course Cuck-Kun.

shark_inna_hat

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2018
If I have the option I give MC one of these names:
- Player McPlayerface
- Insert Name
- Your Mom
- Penis
- shfofnfdseidjfnoesnz
Don't make me do this to Your game, name the MC, or at least give'em a reasonable default name.

Reactions: Volta

nobrumski

Donor
May 27, 2019
I like the option of naming the characters only because some names remind me of people I can't stand in real life and I don't want to be reminded of them when playing the game.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I only name the MC as "Qwerty" in all the games, for the rest I will use the default name, I don't like or dislike if I can name other characters or not but I prefer the default names

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I know that many people prefer to name their own character and the developers should allow them to do so. However, the developers should also create a default name so those of us who don't care can just press enter and proceed. It also helps when discussing the game that we can use the characters default name instead of always just referring to him as the MC.

Naming other characters just seems silly to me, how can that facilitate a good discussion about the game or story?

Last edited: