Do you prefer when developers use a "Cinematic" or "First Person" view?

Cinematic or 1st person?

• 1st Person

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Cinematic

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I like when there is a mixture of these two depending on the scene.

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • I have no strong feelings about this at all.

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

DoneDoof

Mar 25, 2021
It's 100% on the story and how it's best told for it. Something like Corporate Culture where you're playing Edward who is a complete character vs something like I dunno intertwined might work better first person. (not sure of that game is first-person but i hope you understand)

AlisaB

Jun 19, 2018
Monologues in their head describing what you see on the screen is so silly. How about actual dialogue and interaction between the characters... These people writng this type of thing never had sex before?
Who the fuck said anything about describing what you see on the screen? Third-person omniscient narrator is the most common form in actual books and also japanese VNs(which are far superior) and allows the player to get insight into character's thoughts which are unknown to the MC(unless he has some supernatural mind-reading abilities).
And the part about having sex... Dunno about you but I still retain my capability to think during intercourse.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Who the fuck said anything about describing what you see on the screen? Third-person omniscient narrator is the most common form in actual books and also japanese VNs(which are far superior) and allows the player to get insight into character's thoughts which are unknown to the MC(unless he has some supernatural mind-reading abilities).
And the part about having sex... Dunno about you but I still retain my capability to think during intercourse.
Apparently you haven't played much of the games around here that does that then. You dont need to have whatever character have a inner monologue describe what is going on in a scene. You have eyes right?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Who the fuck said anything about describing what you see on the screen?
You know that we are still talking about sex scenes, starting by your "character's thoughts enhances h-scenes greatly", right ?

Character's thoughts, and internal narration, have nothing to do in those particular scenes. 90% of this could have been dirty talks, or could have been shown through the protagonist expression. At worse, but I admit that it's more difficult with Western VNs, it could have been shown through (audible or visible) SFX like in hentai.

Third-person omniscient narrator is the most common form in actual books
Except that Visual Novels have something that books don't have. I let you guess what it can be.

But anyway, what literature are we talking about here ? In what stories exactly, from ancient Greece classics to modern literature, internal thoughts are as prevalent than in the badly handled VN relying mostly on them ?
Hey, in fact, in what stories internal thoughts are effectively present ? Oh, there's stories where we have clue regarding the thoughts of the main protagonist(s), but it's never effectively through internal narration or the display of their thoughts. It's more subtle like, "while he was leaving his office, Dick Tracy was nervously checking his gun, ensuring that he was fully loaded and that nothing would keep it stuck in case of needs" ; and not the stupid, "before leaving his office, Dick Tracy stopped. 'There's something wrong with this last minute rendez-vous, I should keep my gun ready', he thought", that we would see in VNs.
It's the principle of good story writing, "show, don't tell". Even if it's here through words, the author make use visualize the scene, and expect the reader to be smart enough to understand what this mean.

But anyway (again), internal thoughts and omniscient narration aren't at all the same thing. Omniscient narration is what OP called "cinematic approach". Through few paragraphs, or sometimes a whole chapter, the reader witness scenes that the main protagonist(s) don't know about. But while the reader will now react accordingly to this knowledge, the said main protagonist(s) stay clueless about what just happened.
Therefore, I wonder what this approach of story writing, that in fact isn't this frequent in literature, have to do with you trying to defend the display of the protagonists thoughts.

And the guy being clueless about those thoughts, you say them out loud because it would be totally stupid to pass the whole time thinking "faster, oh god go faster you useless fucking piece of shit", and having him nuts before it even started to be interesting for you. Right ?

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I generally prefer 3rd person view but some scenes work better in 1st person. So I like a mixture of both depending on the situation.