Do you remember the good old days ?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Well, it was expected that, at some point, the quality would fall and the quantity would rise above all. It is a natural economic movement. The problem is that we're in the middle of the change and while we still have a decent amount of good and enjoyable games, we now have a lot of projects that can't deliver a good experience after all. And one of the major problems here is that most of the developers aren't really professionals or consider this a real job... With this, it's normal to see such a poor catalog today.

The good news is: The diamonds always shine in the middle of the mud.
A lot of people play sports in school and think they can make it in the big league, but the truth is only 0.00001% get in.
Much better odds of realizing you dreams of becoming an adult game developer.
Some have what it takes, some don't. You'll never know if you don't try.
The good news, is that unlike sports, you can still join a team and work in developing games, even if you don't have all the skills you can do your part to help the team. Figure out what you're good at, and team up with others who can do the other parts.
It's only a failure, if you don't learn from your mistakes, and get back up.

Reactions: hameleona

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Well, it was expected that, at some point, the quality would fall and the quantity would rise above all. It is a natural economic movement. The problem is that we're in the middle of the change and while we still have a decent amount of good and enjoyable games, we now have a lot of projects that can't deliver a good experience after all. And one of the major problems here is that most of the developers aren't really professionals or consider this a real job... With this, it's normal to see such a poor catalog today.

The good news is: The diamonds always shine in the middle of the mud.
Well, people need income to pay bills and such. Go full time game dev of these type of games, doesn't really warrant much safety in that area. That's why very few step up from just have it as a hobby. Indy devs of non adult games have that as well at large part as a hobby, or at least unpaid part time job in hope to strike gold, or at least some return for their time invested.

Eyesday

Apr 26, 2017
Well, people need income to pay bills and such. Go full time game dev of these type of games, doesn't really warrant much safety in that area. That's why very few step up from just have it as a hobby. Indy devs of non adult games have that as well at large part as a hobby, or at least unpaid part time job in hope to strike gold, or at least some return for their time invested.
The thing is: You don't really need to be a full-time developer to be a good one, don't you agree? In fact, what dev's need today to create and fulfill the player's expectations is to understand what they want and build a way to deliver those needs without overwhelming them.

I'm a writer and have already written some plots for "games that would be probably good if I knew how to do one" hehe. I guess one of the major problems in adult games is poor storytelling. You don't need to be Isaac Asimov or Neil Gaiman, but you do need to build a story that makes sense and feel real even though it isn't.

And I know that it's a new market, but it's very promissory and the "diamonds" that I mentioned before earn a great amount of money. What separates them of the other ones? They did the game with a good structure, something that most of the "common developers" don't.

A lot of people play sports in school and think they can make it in the big league, but the truth is only 0.00001% get in.
Much better odds of realizing you dreams of becoming an adult game developer.
Some have what it takes, some don't. You'll never know if you don't try.
The good news, is that unlike sports, you can still join a team and work in developing games, even if you don't have all the skills you can do your part to help the team. Figure out what you're good at, and team up with others who can do the other parts.
It's only a failure, if you don't learn from your mistakes, and get back up.
Life is about cooperation.

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
Eh, I'd say we're actually in one of the better periods of Patreon. The early wild west days were cool and a bunch of neat projects came into being when things started. Not everything lasted, but people took risks. Around the time of the big crackdown, people had already gotten pretty lazy about what they were making and even incest fetishists (my team, if you're wondering) got pretty bored with anything but the biggest games. The crackdown ended up shuttering a bunch of good games (not going to bother listing them. I've honestly forgotten most), and that sucked.

Now, things have calmed down enough that people are actually starting to invest longer periods of time and more money/effort in making quality updates (I'd say DarkCookie of Summertime Saga fame, Geeseki making A Town Uncovered, Faerin's Man of the House, and Westane's The Company, Seztworks' Himeros trilogy, and Oni's Dandyboy Adventures all certainly count, at least for my enjoyment) and at this point I'd just say that our biggest hurdle is that nobody has any patience anymore (don't worry, they haven't for fucking decades) to wait for updates, and it just takes a while to make a good game. Patches are an annoyance, but I think devs have figured out what they can get away with and that's generally good enough for me. If things keep going the way they are, I'm basically happy with the current, moderately compromised, system.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
The thing is: You don't really need to be a full-time developer to be a good one, don't you agree? In fact, what dev's need today to create and fulfill the player's expectations is to understand what they want and build a way to deliver those needs without overwhelming them.

I'm a writer and have already written some plots for "games that would be probably good if I knew how to do one" hehe. I guess one of the major problems in adult games is poor storytelling. You don't need to be Isaac Asimov or Neil Gaiman, but you do need to build a story that makes sense and feel real even though it isn't.

And I know that it's a new market, but it's very promissory and the "diamonds" that I mentioned before earn a great amount of money. What separates them of the other ones? They did the game with a good structure, something that most of the "common developers" don't.

Life is about cooperation.
If you really wanted to make a game from your story. Why do you need to know how to make one? You start look for a coder, graphic artist and whatever you need to make it happen. Of course, as none of these would want to work for free. You would either have to front some cash, or make some contract about future revenue split if they would agree on it. Which not many would I would guess.

If you a good dev to start with, the chance is you already employed in the industry since before and not really seeking to make it big with adult games.

There is many.. how to put it, hobby (part time) creators that take a lot of unjust critic and flak for not providing enough content in a given time, on what they are working on. If I was creating a game, I would want to do that for my own sake and make the story and game I wanted to make, if someone wanted to play it end of the day, good. But I wouldn't just create a game for the sole purpose of fulfill players expectations and desire. That would be like just try make the next candy crush to cash in big.

Reactions: hameleona

batman666

Donor
Jun 18, 2017
I think these days are way better.

Back then, you could check on the most popular games and there was an abundance of shitty, really shitty games.

Nowadays, there's probably 4-5 updates each week for games that I really enjoy. There are games with outstanding renders, and, which makes me the most happy, the HS-based games look really fantastic now.

The good days are here, I consider the times when you would wait for a monthly STS update the dark ages if anything. Circumventing Patreon rules through naming variables and quick patches is an easy thing. And the community is awesome. You get patches, new updates and mods, and even compressed versions really quickly after an official release. I also love how you can really feel the influx of new people with great minds and increasingly good render skills. The more, the merrier.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Maybe before you had less games to pick and they seem so special but now you have so many games there waiting for you to play them that it doesn't seems so special anymore, but IMO I really don't think so.

Jun 14, 2018
I thought the good old days where when shark games were the top (in terms of story, they are still good). But I am glad the incest is dead (not really), 50% of the games were about a skinny boy with unrealistic dick and his sisters/mother, the father is missing/dead/gay(never seen it actually).

ThatOneLamp

Sep 12, 2017
My good ol days were back before I even found this site. Don't get me wrong I love this site but there is something im gonna miss about hopping round to different flash adult game sites spending hours looking and finally find a mediocre game and thinking it was a hidden gem. Now I have all these games and life is good

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
The ironic part is that the thing players now hate (time) is developed due to the player's own expectations and complains.
At the start the games were simplistic. 95% pre-made poses (why all games had the same looking stiff posing, same sex positions look and feel), no animations, no expression changes, simple scripts, no real scene setup (light, environment, etc.).
So back then to make an update it was - write a couple of words for a few days, open daz and load a popular figure. Find a common pose and press that. No light work nor any ps after work. Mash it together and ready.

But like anything in life, players grew tired of that simplification. Especially as other games came around and showed what was possible. Milf city is an example. It showed the power of animation. Now the players were writing in the different threads "if there is no animation I won't play". This then added a new element to the update as many, especially new devs, felt animation was a must for their game to gain a following. (+time for animation)
Then the desire for a better script due to games such as DA and Acting Lesson. "I won't play a game with no story or character depth" (+time for script)
And of course, render quality demand also increased by a heck ton. No more stiff posing which is used in all games, no more same characters, no more hdri only lights. "I won't play a game with generic-looking renders, they all look the same". Players expect quality renders (+time for scene setup)
And the list goes on.
All this means that any new dev has to excel in one or two areas because if they made the game as they did at the start- then their game will fail among the other 100 competitions they get on a weekly basis.

This is not a hit on the games from the past as those devs didn't have much to go. Everything was new and they worked with what they had so it's understandable. (Many of them has evolved and their new games have improved in all of those aspects)
But upload any of those golden ages games today and I doubt they will have the same success as they had back then. Especially when they have to compare with games such as Being A DIK or City of Broken Dreamers

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
Big brother was absolute garbage and the quality of the sex renders itself were pretty low. It was basically stick penis in pussy/ass and call it a day. No kissing, no foreplay, nothing.. Just stick it in and cum. Story was horrid, not to mention the horrible grind that kills any boner and the only good thing that could be said about it was the quality of its models.

There is absolutely magnificent games that are a hundred times better with no grind. Games with actual choice and consequence and not just mindless grind. Being a Dik, City of Broken dreams and Become a rockstar just to name a few.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I started playing them as flash games on Newgrounds and games like X-Change. How about you?
In the late 1950s I worked on slot machines, pinball, and arcade games at a number of Gentleman's clubs.
These weren't even the first. Adult arcade machines have been around since about 1890. Newgrounds started a hundred years later. Adult games started using video, before VHS was invented.

Adult entertainment has always been at the cutting edge of technology.

Reactions: Penfold Mole

DiddlerGames

Game Developer
Jun 3, 2019
In the late 1950s I worked on slot machines, pinball, and arcade games at a number of Gentleman's clubs.
These weren't even the first. Adult arcade machines have been around since about 1890. Newgrounds started a hundred years later. Adult games started using video, before VHS was invented.

Adult entertainment has always been at the cutting edge of technology.
Holy hell. Makes sense they go back that far. Never seen one personally though.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Unless they stopped using the garbage "Mikani" model, your story would stretch even my forgiving imagination to its limits... Ann looks barely old enough to "birth" Alice (Max and Lisa easily !!) But someone like Eric ? fuck no.... Eric looks older than her... if games didnt have restrictions I'd peg them as follows based on looks, personality and how they act...

AGES----------
Ann - 36-38
Alice - 19-21
Max - 15-17
Lisa - 14
Eric - 38-42
If Ann gave birth to Eric after being raped when she was 13, and he was adopted by a couple that used him as forced labor in their textile business, as is often the case... It would explain why Eric appears much older than he really is... being exposed to caustic chemicals in the sweatshop where he worked tanning animal hides took a toll on him physically.
After Eric's adoptive parents were under indictment by a grand jury, they fled the country, moving to a non-extradition country, leaving Eric behind. Eric being the only remaining heir to their family estate, inherited the textile business. He vowed to end the cruel business practices, and began manufacturing only faux furs, and fabrics made from renewable sources like cotton. He only looks 40ish but he'll always be 13 years younger than his mother Ann.

If Ann is 40, that would make Eric 27. Assuming a few years passed between the rape, and her getting married and having more children, we could say Max is 22, Alice 20, and Lisa 18.

TIFUman

Nov 6, 2020
Good ol' days for game developers! back in 2016 i was planning on making an incest game. i even made few renders. but then i got demotivated because my english wasn't good. and now i regret not doing it.