Do you see the body in the right ?

Do you see the body in the right ?

• I can see it indeed, hard one but it's here.

• Can't see shit dude, too low.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hi, I need to adjust exposure for a bunch a scenes, problem is my screen is overbright I think. And I want to avoid edit after rendering o/

Render is shit and stopped early, but here how high I can get, you should barely (you need to focus!) see the body on the right :

zzz.png

Thank you for your time!

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Same on my pc.
If you're working on a game I can give you something to compare:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
While I think they're absolutely fine, I had some people complaining that they're too dark and the character isn't visible enough.

Benji13

Jan 30, 2019
Same on my pc.
If you're working on a game I can give you something to compare:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
While I think they're absolutely fine, I had some people complaining that they're too dark and the character isn't visible enough.
Yes, dark scene. But in that setting and situation I did find it matching for the actual situation.
Wouldn't change it.

(By the way: good game. One of my absolute favorites at f95 ;) )

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I have a color-calibrated monitor, and by that I mean, since color standards are based off of printing, my whites tend to look like well-lit paper, so its not well lit, so I can't see it. However, I know most users have cheaper TN type panels, so I have those as well, and even with my overbright test monitor, i think i see a chair, maybe someone in a skirt, but it is very challenging to see.

I threw the image into gimp to brighten it up, turns out I was seeing the table cloth. I REALLY cranked up the image, and then I saw the person

775297_zzz.png
What you are seeing is the same image, but with a level check effect (pixels are boolean white or black if they meet the needed level value)
I had to literally set the level to 1 out of 255 possible values, 1 is the lowest any pixel can be before they are Zero, meaning totally set to black. How in the world can your monitor display this?!?!!?!? double checking, it looks like I did calibrate my side TN panel monitors a bit because their brightness are even with this test

your monitor may match the first 'what it should not look like' example.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
With your new image, I thought it might be a bit too bright, too easy to see the body, so I threw it into gimp to play around, and to be honest, everything I tried, exposure, gama, levels, etc, any slight change I did made it very hard to see the body even when I knew what i was looking for. So I think it's good now.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
You can remember to see black as the 16 in "limited" RGB 16-235, so 20 to 50 for the darkest shades there.
and from what I can tell the new image, the body shows up in about the 25 to 29 range.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I had to literally set the level to 1 out of 255 possible values, 1 is the lowest any pixel can be before they are Zero, meaning totally set to black. How in the world can your monitor display this?!?!!?!? double checking, it looks like I did calibrate my side TN panel monitors a bit because their brightness are even with this test
It's even worst than this. Monitor goes over/under bright when it feels like it. But as gift from a loved one you know the drill :HideThePain: . Gonna deal with it lol (too late for a replacement). Miss my old shit tho.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.png

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
i would say upgrade, but I know for myself that now that I am done with college I can't get a job and having to save every bit of money just to afford food.

Jul 14, 2018
I tried to correct screen and exposure based on your screenshot

Is this better? Body on the right should be barely visible :

View attachment 760672
Comparing this to the original (and I think the second one is much better) -

What is the purpose of the figure in the image? Why are they there? What's going on? Is the figure with the flashlight supposed to notice them, or are they not supposed to see them but the audience (ie - us, either the game player, comic reader, whatever the audience is) *is* supposed to see them...

Or is it supposed to be a "Go back on the second run-through and now you actually see them even though you didn't the first time" sort of thing?

Right now I'd say it's right on the cusp of being unbelievable that the flashlight wielding figure didn't see the person. Any brighter and they would. But - it's bright enough that we the audience can see her.

Your first image is... yeah, you gotta throw it in an image editing program and screw with the light levels to get the figure to appear. It's not even a "See it the second time through" thing, the figure is invisible.

So - depending on the purpose... if you want the audience to see the figure but the flashlight holder to believably not see them (at least until they swing it to the right) then you could lower the light a scootch, but if you wanted to run with this it'd be fine.

If you want the audience to see the figure the second time through, then you can darken it up - but you want something halfway between the two images you presented.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I tried toying with it, and it really matters the lighting in your room. my room is very bright right now, but if I turn off the lights, things really change.

here is what I tried, I cut out the body, I then increased the black levels of the main image so that the area where the body was looks black, so that it doesn't look like the area is well lit so it shouldn't look like the character with the flashlight should see the body, I then added the body back in (no changes) so that the body stands out a bit. It kinda worked, kinda like a ghost effect, where you see their body in the darkness, but it still wasn't readable.

to make a body readable, the silhouette is the most important, it is why taping bags to your body (a military tactic) is a good way to camouflage, because you distort the human shape (shape is how the human brain identify things from a distance, ie most characters look the same in video games because they may all have the same base head shape). So we need to see the shape of their body. Now I couldn't do this well with the images, but here is a suggestion. Could you render the body separate?

Mainly, having different lighting from the body. Because most of the light is being diffused and reflected by the white doors, in order to make the body viewable this large white diffused area makes a very soft lighting of the body, thus it is quite evenly light, and this makes it look so obvious to find. Instead what you can try is, when you render the body, instead of being indirectly lit by the scene (light bouncing off the doors) use a fake light instead, a smaller (physically small point light) about where the door is. The reason for lighting it with a small light is to make the light less soft so as to only light up the side of the body (the outline) and not fully illuminate the body, so the shadow (around the body) becomes crisper (can make a fake feeling), thus the body is less illuminated, it is hidden by the shadows/darkness, but because what lighting there still is available, it is directed to illuminating the side (outline) of the body, thus you can still tell there is a body there but you struggle to see who or what it is).

We can improve this effect, push the light farther away from the camera. Why? Well the idea is, as the light goes far away from the camera, in order to reach the body, instead of lighting the body from the side (where the doors are) the body lights it from behind. so the light becomes more of a glancing blow before it reaches the camera, and is more concentrated on outline the body, improving the effect. If you were to do a 3 point or 4 point lighting setup, this is called the rim light.