• No

Votes: 50 37.9%

• Total voters

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I don't because monetary reasons but if I were to pledge I can only think of 1-2 devs that I'd actually give any money to.

enokard

Apr 25, 2017
I'm supporting only 2 devs for the moment because :
- I enjoy their projects,
- They work hard to make consistent updates,
- They always take time to answer some questions, especially for their fans.

I would never give money if one of these three conditions is not satisfied.

honda

Nov 25, 2016
I did occasionally, but that stopped when some of the guys felt pussy money smell in the air. Out of that came the delays (i am sick/i have problems) and the delays in the release dates. We are talking about 70$ of donations overall.

So, as i do not consider smut games development an art form but a hobby that pays off, i stopped paying the jerks that told they need a time to recharge their batteries. Since it's not a primary job, you are not obligated to pay vacations for those ppl, only the working hours.

Nowadays most of the bozos keep their stuff under the paywall, it's HARD to check out new $hit without paying/pledging upfront (because they ties the releases to the patreon charging dates). I was born in those days, where AAA game devs did distribute demo versions of the games for the general public for free. And you could actually check out if you want that or not.

If all of the patreon artists were there on the pay per release mode — I'd still donate those.

enokard

Apr 25, 2017
Never enough milk, Sir

Never.... enough...

Maybe, I made a mistake. Sometimes, it's gone too far.

gahgahgah

Jul 23, 2017
I support one dev: DarkCookie (the creator of Summertime Saga). The only reason I actually support him is because of the live streams he does to showcase his work. At least I know that he is not slacking off 29 days a month like I suspect some devs might actually be doing...

Imskel

Apr 23, 2017
I don't due to the fact that I am Unemployed and have been for sometime now, so what money I do get has to cover bills first. There are quite a few games that I would love to support like Summertime Saga and Dating My Daughter, couple more but those two for the most part.

gahgahgah

Jul 23, 2017
Imagine if all devs were streaming, and really promoting their game rather than shilling
Yep. Although tbh I feel like watching 3D game devs working might not be that interesting compared to DarkCookie hand drawing everything in Photoshop (although I haven't actually seen 3D artists do work live). I also don't like to watch someone programming on my free time but I know plenty of people who do (e.g. via Twitch).

berny

Jun 8, 2017
I'm a strict 1$ patron. This is the maximum I'm willing to pay on a monthy basis. This is actually more a matter of "conscience" than money. Important to me, aside from the game itself of course, are the reward tiers. I would for example never consider paying a developer who has like ten different versions of his game, even if I'm able to get the best version here on f95.
The games I'm currently supporting are "Coceter Chronicles", "GGGB", and "BB". I'm gonna start supporting "General Practitioner" next month, I may even break my 1$ rule for him, because I'm a huge fan of the way he approaches his game. I'm also looking into "Dual Family" and "Man of the house", meaning I'm gonna wait to see if I'm happy with their update policy.
So the reason why I support some developers, is pretty simple, it's because I think they deserve it.

katarne04

Jun 9, 2017
I freeload too. I mean its free to demo for the most part. Most these games are in what I consider to be Super Early Access. I'll wait a month to play the current version later. I'll wait until a playable public version of the game is available. There are a couple games in mind for my support. Along with that, is my support for future games. Its because I believe in their work and the satisfaction I get from their games. It's just that I haven't seen much to have them have me be a stakeholder in their game quite honestly. I need to think of my well being and can't impulsively support every game I like and enjoy. I wish I could, I wish I could. Its not though. Personally, I feel a monetary support of any kind is an investment. Like any investment, there are things I need to know that my money is being put to good use. $1, 10, 20, 50... no matter the amount, I feel the investment is worth it because of the monthly and likely yearly support. To some capacity, we become business partners.

I am particularly picky. To me, all these games are in a phase where I can evaluate the gameplay and see how the creator manages their time and content. Seeing games update in increments is fine with me. As long as it finishes someday. Thats the big dilemma for me. Theres no time limit to complete the game. The extent from the content of the game is always bigger than initially thought of. Potentially the longer it takes, the more expensive it becomes. That's how anything goes. I got an idea of programming difficulties and how it takes time to sort it all out all the while creating both content in art and story. Couple games stand out for me. I'm just waiting for them to complete it. Its like trying a game out and seeing how it plays. Most if not all these games are in start of game creation or the middle of expanding the content further more. Few games here are completed simply because of the scope of the content. I am very interested how these creators close out the game. Thats something I need to see here in order to ease my mind in the risk I take from my support. It would give me the post-production analysis of how everything wrapped up and how the creator used the feedback to merge it with their game. Were the expectations from supports met. What lessons did the creator get from the experience. How will that translate in the next game. will there be another game. Seeing how I happy I was to play the game. Seeing how I'd feel about playing another game from the creator. Like any other game franchise I play the games I want and if I want more, I'd be supporting it to some capacity.

In essence, I'm a freeloader. My money is very valuable to me. A one time donation, I wouldn't mind doing. I liked it. Here's a few bucks for the stuff you already did. A monthly support for a game, now we are talking an investment paid in content. Content thats free reigning in terms of the game's size, time for completion, and costs it takes to improve the game. can the creator deliver a finish product under these conditions? Most games are in the early phase of their games. Few games are in the middle content of expansion. Even less games are in Alpha or Beta status. Rarely are games actually completed. There's a risk with these games. A risk that I'm not willing to take just yet.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
No. Not that i am adverse to throwing a few dollars in donations, Its more that Patreon to me is to high risk,you could be pumping money in for months/ years with no end product.If they put a stamp on it and said only pay per update i may be more inclined as that would keep devs on their toes.but the present model not for me .

wetblanket

May 24, 2017
My problem with Patreon is that you're paying for a promise. I hate whenever I support a dev and development just completely halts with no warning whatsoever. The only devs I'd be willing to support are ones that have either completed a game before, or have made a great deal of progress on their current one. That being said, I'd be more willing to support devs if their payments aren't set to monthly.

Bouncy Gimp

May 1, 2017
I support the ones I like playing of course
spending around 30$ a month on different patrons
Why you ask?
Well it's important to encourage them to continue making games.
And donating 5-10 dollars to a game you think is good is not that hard

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Imagine if all devs were streaming, and really promoting their game rather than shilling
I stream every so often, I'd stream every day but I'm not sure how interesting it would be watching someone work on dialogue/scripts, bugtesting, designing levels, or doing game design documents (in general, a lot of writing and monotonous stuff).

I personally support about 10 or 15 devs with a $1 pledge so it shows up on my "supporting page" in an attempt to get them more eyes on their work.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I stream every so often, I'd stream every day but I'm not sure how interesting it would be watching someone work on dialogue/scripts, bugtesting, designing levels, or doing game design documents (in general, a lot of writing and monotonous stuff).

I personally support about 10 or 15 devs with a $1 pledge so it shows up on my "supporting page" in an attempt to get them more eyes on their work.
I was