Does anyone actually like having music in their adult games?

Untolddead

Dec 22, 2018
I always turn it off every time I load a game. It really sucks when I don't have an option too. Not only that but it's usually set way to high for a normal person. Is there any one else like me or is it weird?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Sure, sometimes games can have good music. On average it is not very good. Best game for music is probably Spacecorps XXX, the dev uses it for comedy purposes. Think of a chase scene with Yakety Sax, or demon sex scene with Tainted love.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
While I do kinda feel bad for devs that put effort into their sound .... I always mute it.

I either have my own music on or i'm listening to gaming stuff. I tend to catch up on gaming news while playing a vn.

Reactions: tdree and ImperialD

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i actually turn the music off .. its gets to distracting .. for me at least :rolleyes:

Shinshon

Apr 6, 2018
I leave it on to be true to the game ! but ofc if the music is grating, the rest of the product has a higher likelihood of being not too playable!

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
90%+ of games I'll mute or ignore it if possible. There's just too much garbage to give them much of a chance or listen to the same RPGMaker stuff for the 57th time.

If a game actually has decent original/CC-BY music I love it though, and will happily jam out to a decent OST for the entire game. Wish more games would put that effort into music to where it'd be worth giving more of them a chance.

Untolddead

Dec 22, 2018
Well to be fair on my side I mostly mute all games including triple A games. Or make it so quiet you can just hear it. I like hearing the game if I want to listen to music I have songs I already like. I do have music from games I listen outside of games though.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
There are certain games where i leave the music on, but for most i turn it off because its always the same annoying stuff.

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
Music (and lack thereof) can be a very powerful tool to create an atmosphere. But it's also expensive, and doesn't necessarily "pop" as much as visual art for marketing's sake. So when you have a limited budget you're more likely to haphazardly put together royalty-free tracks in your game and save the money for something else.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Music (and lack thereof) can be a very powerful tool to create an atmosphere. But it's also expensive, and doesn't necessarily "pop" as much as visual art for marketing's sake. So when you have a limited budget you're more likely to haphazardly put together royalty-free tracks in your game and save the money for something else.
There are however some really amazing royalty free tracks available these days. Lots of patreon funded artists using CC4.0 to distribute their music, you just have to dig a little deeper.

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I think it depends on the music to be honest. One game I'm currently playing is Love Of Magic which has some pretty good music for setting the scene. I think the music has to fit, i.e not having vosi bop during sex.

Some games do it good, others don't. However, they all always get volume wrong lol, never ever played a game (with music) without having to adjust the volume.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
music, no. soundscape, yes.

good sound design tells easily more story than the renders.

if there's actual music, it should be so subtle you wouldn't be aware of it. if you can sing along, it's way too distracting and takes away from your story.

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
I think the only game where I've liked the music has been Broken Dreamers. I always mute music otherwise. Devs, don't add filler music please.

Azazeres

Feb 8, 2018
If it’s original, I keep it on. If it’s royalty free music, I usually turn it down so it doesn’t give me tinnitus, but I always keep it on because it’s hilarious to encounter it in the wild. If it’s something like classical, I mute it, because I like classical and I don’t want to pop a stiffy when I listen to moonlight sonata. If it’s a MnF game, I just accept that I’m gonna have a bad time and take off my headphones.

Jul 22, 2019
Nope. 90% of the time I just mute the game completely. If it has some good sound effects maybe I'll leave those on. I wonder whether devs should even bother with adding music anymore.

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
I often mute it because some devs pick really weird not matching songs, but the worst thing is when dev adds really really LOUD intro game music before you even get to menu.

Apr 21, 2019
The secret, I hate the dev of that game but I'd be lying if I didn't say I like most of the stuff he did to the game, and in this case the soundtrack, the soundtrack selection was pretty good and chilly, I actually went and made my own, same-themed playlist on YT

I mean it could be a bit of a distraction when it plays (since my mind focus on it for a sec even though it's just a normal song) but really generally I liked the game because of the soundtrack along other reasons, specially if you are playing at night, it can boost the late night vibes, heck sometimes I even start the game to check the songs since you can actually see them all in the MC's pc and play them

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
what if the game let you specify your own music, and let you associate it with various moods? would you do it, or is that too much work?