Does Patreon bans step-sibilings?

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I know similar questions have been posted before in this forum but none of the other threads that I've seen, while deeply informative, approach the subject on the same level I'm proposing here. I'll not be surprised if no one knows, but hey, it's worth the shot.

The problem is, I'm making (I don't consider myself a developer just yet, hehe) a game where the MC was adopted as a child, and now, as a grown man he still struggles with some of the feelings that this knowledge brings up in him. Early on in the story, he goes back home to visit his family and that stirs some very conflicting feelings inside of him, and eventually, the theme of incest might (I really haven't decided yet) come up.

So the question is, despite the fact that there is no blood relation between MC and any of the other characters and the fact that him being an adoptive child plays a major role both for the story in general and in character development could Patreon, or any other platform for that matter, ban my game based on that?

Has any developer faced a similar issue?

Just to reinforce the point, the MC by design is not blood-related but is adopted, and as such, he would call the other characters by mom, sis, etc.

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry if anyone has already asked this, I honestly couldn't find this specific aspect.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Yep, the whole "step" plan is banned in Patreon, but you can always do whatever you want and release an "unofficial" patch restauring the game, just don't post it on Patreon.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
I know similar questions have been posted before in this forum but none of the other threads that I've seen, while deeply informative, approach the subject on the same level I'm proposing here. I'll not be surprised if no one knows, but hey, it's worth the shot.

The problem is, I'm making (I don't consider myself a developer just yet, hehe) a game where the MC was adopted as a child, and now, as a grown man he still struggles with some of the feelings that this knowledge brings up in him. Early on in the story, he goes back home to visit his family and that stirs some very conflicting feelings inside of him, and eventually, the theme of incest might (I really haven't decided yet) come up.

So the question is, despite the fact that there is no blood relation between MC and any of the other characters and the fact that him being an adoptive child plays a major role both for the story in general and in character development could Patreon, or any other platform for that matter, ban my game based on that?

Has any developer faced a similar issue?

Just to reinforce the point, the MC by design is not blood-related but is adopted, and as such, he would call the other characters by mom, sis, etc.

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry if anyone has already asked this, I honestly couldn't find this specific aspect.
That's actually... more complicated to answer than I thought...
As far as I know, patreon put a ban only on blood-related family members.
while steps and non-related are fine.

But the issue is about how he call them, mom, sis, etc. That's a point I'm not sure at all.
Other games I've seen, in general, make it so the mc is a stranger to the family, like the mom become the landlady or a friends of the mc's mom from another city, or similar things.
the others family member can stay as they are, the daughter of the "landlady" can still be her blood daughter, etc.

If it were me, I would make sure the step status is clearly defined (heavily, with insistence) in the first minutes of the game.
And, worst case, would be making your game's code in a way that, just by changing a variable, you can change the name of the characters.
Because I don't think patreon go instant-ban in these case but first give a warning.

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Yep, the whole "step" plan is banned in Patreon, but you can always do whatever you want and release an "unofficial" patch restauring the game, just don't post it on Patreon.
Oh, I see...

Do you know of a game that faced a similar situation? As in, no blood relationship, adoptive kind of thing. I would love to get in touch with the developer.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Oh, I see...

Do you know of a game that faced a similar situation? As in, no blood relationship, adoptive kind of thing. I would love to get in touch with the developer.
No, not really. I know the whole "step" thing is banned as well because it's in Patreon's TO and when the thing was new, a lot of developers changed the incest to "step incest" trying to avoid getting caught by Patreon but Patreon caught them anyway, but I don't remember any real "step" game like that, not even sure if I ever play a real "step" game to be honest.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
Oh, I see...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What's not allowed is "incest", the rest depend on patreon's definition of incest (only blood related ?).
As they say, they take into consideration the context. And stories such as game of throne (Cersei x Jamie) are allowed.

Reactions: Mr.Rodrigues

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Other games I've seen, in general, make it so the mc is a stranger to the family, like the mom become the landlady or a friends of the mc's mom from another city, or similar things.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this solution. I'd much rather not approach the whole incest theme at all if that's the alternative.

You see, the whole point is the fact that he is adopted and how he deals with it, even after growing up. The incest theme would just take that conflict and take it up a few notches.

So, as you can see, bending the relation in such a way would work for a quick fap, but would also seriously hurt the story...

If it were me, I would make sure the step status is clearly defined (heavily, with insistence) in the first minutes of the game.
Yup, that's my plan either way, even if there's no incest involved, this is one of the main plot points in the character development, so there is no escaping that. I might have to rework the text a little bit to make it clearer though.

Oh, and thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it very much.

Reactions: Stompai

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
What's not allowed is "incest", the rest depend on patreon's definition of incest (only blood related ?).
As they say, they take into consideration the context. And stories such as game of throne (Cersei x Jamie) are allowed.
By that logic, I should be ok with what I have in mind. But boy, that's a thin line to walk...

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Also, does anyone know if it would be ok to preemptively get in touch with Patreon and make it clear? Or would it just put a target on my back?

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Also, does anyone know if it would be ok to preemptively get in touch with Patreon and make it clear? Or would it just put a target on my back?
Honestly, that's the last thing I would do.
Yeah, asking them if your content is permissible before you make an account or get banned is a bad idea. :rolleyes:
That was sarcasm, if the italicized text and eye-roll emoji wasn't enough...

Yes, contact them first with your game's premise and get their approval first. Having to overhaul or abandon your game later on would suck. You can contact their "Trust and Safety Team" at the bottom of this .

I also recommend you save all correspondence with Patreon.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
Unfortunately their definition of incest is wider than that, as they said a couple of years ago to Dark Silver:
I didn't know, guess it really depend how they see things.
But they clearly state that content like incest or rape will be studied and potentially allowed depending on context.
And patreon also like to change their rules, they have new terms of use since early January from what I understood, and no link to content but they now also allow euros and British currency for creators.

Best way would be to do as Papa Ernie said and directly ask to get a clear answer and avoid bad surprises

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, asking them if your content is permissible before you make an account or get banned is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Yes, contact them first with your game's premise and get their approval first. Having to overhaul or abandon your game later on would suck. You can contact their "Trust and Safety Team" at the bottom of this .

I also recommend you save all correspondence with Patreon.
Yeah, that seems like the better path, but my inner child is "afraid" of drawing attention to myself, hahaha.

Unfortunately their definition of incest is wider than that, as they said a couple of years ago to Dark Silver:
I guess I could have the characters call themselves by name, rather than sis/mom, and only talk about how close they are and how much of a family they are, etc.

Funny thing is, I don't even care all that much about the sexual part of incest, but rather it's ramifications, psychological and material. However, I think a good chunk of potential players would be left deeply frustrated by the lack of incest related fap material.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
There is one gray area imo. If your dad re-marries (right before he dies) when all the kids are 18+ and love blooms among the survivors I find it hard to call that incest. I suppose technically it is.

• Thinking Face

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
just upload an incest patch on lewdpatcher?
Yeah, that wouldn't work really well for me. As I said, him being adopted and the nature of the conflicting feelings born out of this fact and his confused love/resent relationship towards his family are a central plot point, the whole incest angle would add layers to this internal conflict...

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Rule of the thumb is: if it gets your average Alabama man's pp up, then it's banned.

Or if the family taboo matters, then it's banned if you want a more boring rule.

• Haha

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018

Best way would be to do as Papa Ernie said and directly ask to get a clear answer and avoid bad surprises
Sorry but I highly disagree with this. Patreon's "Trust and Safety" team is known for not even doing the job they should do. Some big games with incest have been in Patreon without any care in the world while other big games did have issues, even if it was only superfial or minor things, and while dealing with them all their answers indicated that they didn't played the game at all, not even after the dev applied some changes. I've seem one case where Patreon demanded changes in a game (due to incest and others) and when the dev asked what changes should be applied, patreon's team answered saying that the game looks good to go even if the dev didn't change a single thing from the initial "problem".

Dealing with Patreon's "Trust and Safety Team" is playing lottery. You have to bet all your chances that someone at least a little rational will take your case, or pray that whoever pick your case is in a good day.

Mr.Rodrigues

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Oh well, I guess I'll take a page out of Palmer's book, and create a form so that the player can fill his relation level (is that how it is said? I'm not a native speaker) themselves.

I'll just write the novel the way I intended from the start, I'll just avoid the terms mom, sis, etc...

Not ideal, but It's the best way I can think of being compliant with Patreon and also true to my story...