Does someone have a static (VN) scene that I can test rendering?

jjames967

Jan 25, 2021
I haven't done much 3D rendering (I'm a Backend Engineer), but does someone have a sample scene from their game with assets, etc to let me test some stuff? Basically everything needed to render a Virtual Novel scene (minus the rendering software itself).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I haven't done much 3D rendering
Well, I'm tempted to say that your question was already showing that point.

I mean, you ask for everything needed for the scene, not caring a single second about the fact that there 99% chance that the assets are copyrighted material, and you let the render engine on the side, as it would make absolutely no difference, not even in the format used for the assets and to save the scene.

[...] to let me test some stuff?
And you can't find a single set of free assets for the rendering engine you own, in order to do those tests all by yourself ?

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
My go-to suggestion for a starting point (for Daz3D) has been this post from a while ago...
https://f95zone.to/threads/create-a-realistic-portrait-in-daz-studio-videos.22733/

Then you might want to read a bit about 3-point and 4-point lighting (Already sort of explained within the previous link).
https://f95zone.to/threads/need-hel...-better-and-more-realistic.57254/post-3870401

Some advice about lighting night scene (... and how you shouldn't be scared to light the foreground).
https://f95zone.to/threads/need-help-for-night-time-scenes-in-daz.57411/post-3872658

My gut feeling is that just getting a copy of someone else's scene would require a level of knowledge about how Daz organizes itself that's probably beyond you at this stage (it's definitely beyond me).

The progression I would aim for would be something like:
  • Play with Daz3D a bit to get a feel for the controls.
  • Render a face (with Daz3D).
  • Render a woman laying on a bed (extra points for "with clothing" - which is harder).
  • Render a male and female sat on a sofa in a full room with other furniture, windows and other props.
  • Render a woman taking a shower or in the bath (water is evil).
I'm not a developer of any game and haven't gotten much past the basics of Daz... so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Minus the grumpiness:

If you are talking about Daz3d - a copy of a "scene" save file is not enough. You also need to have all the 3d assets that are referenced in the file installed in your local Daz data folders.

From a "legal" perspective technically you should purchase all the assets you need from 3D Asset stores like Daz or Renderosity/Renderotica, or create them yourself.

Morally, if you are making some product to sell or give away, it's very evil to pirate the assets you use. Those who give back to creators are the true heros.

Practically, if you want to test out rendering, then there are enough free assets around if you look to put together a basic scene.

Realistically, you'll want to hit up asset piracy forums like the "Asset releases" subforum of this site, or others like 3DLoad or Shadowcore and download some stuff. You'll need at a minimum: an "environment" asset to provide the background, a figure asset, some clothing for that figure, a hair asset for the figure, and a pose + expression pack.

Ove you've got all those assets, you'll need to install them. Use DazDIM, not the new installer thing which sucks.

Finally you are ready to make a scene:

Start a new daz scene, load the environment, load the figure, select the figure and load the clothing and hair, then move the figure to your location, then add a pose + expression, then manually adjust the pose/positioning, then add lights (2 or 3 point for best effect), then add a camera and point it, then set depth of field and adjust the camera focus, then enable iray for your preview and make sure it looks good, then select the camera viewpoint, then do a test render and adjust the render params to your liking, then do a final render.
Then notice all the tiny things that are wrong over the course of several hours, fixing and re-rendering. Finally, take it into post and edit the image so it POPs using photoshop. slam on a logo in the corner and paste the result into https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/post-12698880 to get lots of likes from everyone except that weird guy who facepalms everyone.

Oh I forgot a few:
- find out that you don't have the right nvidia drivers
- find out you don't have a nvidia GPU
- realise you have exceeded the GPU VRAM and your render falls back to CPU and takes 47 hours.
- realise that DAZ has very very weird camera and UI controls that are different to all the other 3d packages on the market.
- realise that daz has complex slider controls for nearly everything and are arbitrarily categorised into various sub panel of the UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
- find out that you don't have the right nvidia drivers
That part is a real bitch. Daz will looks like it is rendering, and you'll end with a full black image without any error notification.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That part is a real bitch. Daz will looks like it is rendering, and you'll end with a full black image without any error notification.
Not to forget das the render engine tends to crash with some hairs. Find that out.
OOT seems to be buggy some times.
Or, in some cases, some poser assets that crash it as well.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I haven't done much 3D rendering (I'm a Backend Engineer), but does someone have a sample scene from their game with assets, etc to let me test some stuff? Basically everything needed to render a Virtual Novel scene (minus the rendering software itself).
I think Honey Select would be much easier as it stores everything in the card image. DAZ doesn't work like that.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It's an easy fix, though. Just make sure you have all the CPU fallback stuff unchecked, then make sure "New Window" is selected for Render Target. It'll pop up with a black image if you run out of VRAM with little to no time wasted.

nw.png

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It'll pop up with a black image if you run out of VRAM with little to no time wasted.
Except that it don't run out of VRAM just because you use a NVidia driver older than the one expected by Daz Studio.

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
Technically, a complete Daz scene (including all the 3D meshes) could be exported as a single asset via an OBJ file and then imported by the thread author. But I'm not sure that the textures and all the lights would be included.

Also, he wouldn't be able to move the props or characters in the scene, or give them poses or anything like that.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Technically, a complete Daz scene (including all the 3D meshes) could be exported as a single asset via an OBJ file and then imported by the thread author. But I'm not sure that the textures and all the lights would be included.

Also, he wouldn't be able to move the props or characters in the scene, or give them poses or anything like that.
The geometry, yes, but it's the textures that make up 99% of the size of data required. A render with just geom and the default environment light map would not be exercising his system as the OP wanted.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
A render with just geom and the default environment light map would not be exercising his system as the OP wanted.
Strictly speaking, testing the system is basic:
Put an object inside a cube make of reflecting surfaces. Remove one wall, put in front of it two lights at 45° and -45°, and the camera in between them, in such way that it catch all the walls. Raise the settings, especially the number of ray bounces, and enjoy watching your system slowly dying.

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko