Daz Need help for night time scenes in Daz

Frostic

Mar 11, 2018
Hey guys,

I need some help, i want to render night time scenes using HDRI.
But all the scenes end up to dark, but when i play arround with tone mapping, lighting(spotlights) or the enviroment settings they look all kinda
washed out.
I attached an example here with enviroment settings at 4 and F/Stops at 4
This is combined with a spotlight and the headlamp of the camera.

I hope anyone can give me some tips, advice's or pointers in which direction to look or improve myself.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Note that you can always render the scene with a little more light, and then make it darker with a photo editor program; Daz doesn't like very dark images :p

Apart from this, using HDRI, you should be able to get the desired light by playing with the parameters in environment or tone mapping.

Reactions: Frostic

Frostic

Mar 11, 2018
Thank you very much :)
Will try that tomorrow. Im stuck with the render's for a VN i am planning to do.
But those night time scene's give me a headache, but there is only so much i can do with an RTX 2080 Super :D

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Even after rendering using a brighter overall scene then making it darker in Photoshop, also consider adding some actual proper lighting to the foreground characters.

It is unrealistic for the foreground characters to be brighter than the overall scene, but it doesn't actually matter as much as you might think. Just make sure the additional lights aren't so bright that they cast distinct shadows. It's all about getting the balance right between needing to see the focus of the image.

Whilst I never actually got very far with Daz, this was a video I found useful for exactly this sort of question...

Reactions: Frostic

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
You could as well do what Hollywood does when shooting night scenes; making the ground wet. It adds a lot of indirect light to the scene from the water reflection. Dont know if it works that well with HDRI-lightning though. And it increases render times by a fair amount as well.

Besides that night scenes aren't really lit with just an hdri if it's a city scene. Even in a dark alley you often got light creaping in from lamppost on the street, or some indirect lightning from a window.

Frostic

Mar 11, 2018
So i played around with some environment and the F/stop settings of the tone map and these are the results im personally quiet happy with. But any advice or tips are still welcome.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
So i played around with some environment and the F/stop settings of the tone map and these are the results im personally quiet happy with. But any advice or tips are still welcome.
One thing that can be very useful is that, when you render the image, when it''s finished (or even while it's rendering, I don't remember now), you can change some parameters like F/Stop, ISO, etc without having to render again :D
In the rendering screen, look at the left side, there you can see those options:

As for the image, and this is just my opinion... it seems a little flat, I would add some other point of light besides the HDRI... maybe a side light to help increase the feeling of depth :p

Frostic

Mar 11, 2018
Hey it's me again :D
After i frustratingly started over with my scenes(i regret it xD). i managed to figure out why my renders even with extra lighting looked so flat. For some reason i had the Nominal Luminance at 1 and not at 0, so that caused my renders to look so flat and had no feeling of depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancelotdulak