Does this scenario count as incest?

Apr 7, 2021
The MC secretly takes photos of his relative in the shower, then while reviewing those photos has a fantasy about that person performing sexual acts.

My gut feeling says yes - I don't think the 'but it was all a dream' carries much weight outside of 4th grade English.

Thoughts?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
The MC secretly takes photos of his relative in the shower, then while reviewing those photos has a fantasy about that person performing sexual acts.

My gut feeling says yes - I don't think the 'but it was all a dream' carries much weight outside of 4th grade English.

Thoughts?
Probably. Even though it's a dream sequence and not actually happening, it's still a MC fantasising about a family member in a sexually graphic way and could fall foul of the Patreon Purity Police.

Reactions: MrFriendly

obibobi

May 10, 2017
In the context of the story, no it's all in a persons head.

From the perspective of the viewer, yes. You can't get around censorship with "but it was just a characters dream"

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
Probably. Even though it's a dream sequence and not actually happening, it's still a MC fantasising about a family member in a sexually graphic way and could fall foul of the Patreon Purity Police.
Just make a patch to appease the Patreon overlords...

Apr 7, 2021
So if I include options for example to say - the person is A..my mother or B...my adopted mother. Does that provide enough wiggle room for Patreon? I put the choice in the players hands of whether the object of their fantasy is related or not.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
So if I include options for example to say - the person is A..my mother or B...my adopted mother. Does that provide enough wiggle room for Patreon? I put the choice in the players hands of whether the object of their fantasy is related or not.
Allowing players to input the relations at the start of the game does seem to work as there are other games that do it. The trick is to ensure that both the story and dialogue can work for the Patreon-safe version and the "true" version.

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
I would make a separat patch that people can download here.

Apr 7, 2021
Allowing players to input the relations at the start of the game does seem to work as there are other games that do it. The trick is to ensure that both the story and dialogue can work for the Patreon-safe version and the "true" version.
That should be pretty straight forward (famous last words!). If I use a variable to define incest or no incest route I can then use an If / Else statement to have 2 different lines of dialog for times I cannot cleverly write ambiguously and have to use Mother or Other.

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
Do you see more risk in having it built in from the start or is it just easier to have a patch that changes the defined names.?
Probably. If the patch is hosted elsewhere you could even claim it to be "fan made". Should appease Patreon even more.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
That should be pretty straight forward (famous last words!). If I use a variable to define incest or no incest route I can then use an If / Else statement to have 2 different lines of dialog for times I cannot cleverly write ambiguously and have to use Mother or Other.
I'd be wary of doing that because I believe the game A Family Venture did something just like that by including a hidden button on the opening splash screen that activated a secondary script file to restore the incest to the game and the dev got in trouble for it and now it has a separate "fan-made" patch. So I think that even having something in your game's code to activate incest dialogue is against Patreon rules, but if someone mod's your game to put it in or you include the option to define the relationships at the start, then Patreon will overlook that.

There are a few games that do the relationship-defining option very well like Echoes of Lust, Oath of Loyalty, and Light of my Life, so perhaps you can look at how they did it and see if it can work for you.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I'd be wary of doing that because I believe the game A Family Venture did something just like that by including a hidden button on the opening splash screen that activated a secondary script file to restore the incest to the game and the dev got in trouble for it.
With all due respect for that dev, that was the most stupid incest safety measure I ever saw in these games. The guy wrote "if you want to play as incest, click here" everywhere and even the warning in the splashscreen changed saying that it had incest now after clicking the button. That was really poorly applied.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Option C: ...my landlady...;)

Slothi

Feb 20, 2021
From what I have seen if you can code it, having it unlock the Inc version if you change the titles from "landlady" to "Mother" seems to be fine for patreon.

Apr 7, 2021
Ok so before I write myself into a corner with this or do a ton of rewriting for no reason - do you think this choice will be acceptable? As the history of the MC starts at birth to set the backstory I am not sure how I could make 'landlady' work without completely re-imagining the back story. I can do it - I would rather not - but now is the time to do it if it is unavoidable.