VN - Unity - Completed - Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! [Final] [Team Salvato]

1. 5.00 star(s)

dietmountaindew

The Greatest horror VN, and arguably one of the greatest horror games of all time.

What starts out as a slow paced, bland, cutesy visual novel, turns into a twisted, meta masterpiece of psychological horror.

Disturbing, unnerving, and at times even a bit touching?

If you've someone managed to not play this game thinking it could never possibly live up to the hype, I urge you to play it now. (If you can handle its darker themes, of course) because it is truly a classic.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

oceanbobo4

Famous for a reason. No sex. It's . . . not what you're expecting. I think I'll never forget this game. Something is now permanently wrong with the world. Something is. Now. Permanently wrong. Permanently. Wrong. You understand? I don't exist. I don't. I love you, Doki Doki Literature Club.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

longjohngold

I played it on steam when it first popped up ... initially I was going to skip over it, as I don't really have any interest in dating sims (though I guess with all the lewd games I've been playing of late maybe that's different now) but when I saw tags like psychological horror I knew it wasn't quite what it seemed ... it's real short but definitely worth a play, I'd highly recommend it.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Hamfist

Worth the time, even being forewarned about the nature of the game it didn't go exactly how I thought it would. It's dark and fucked up, I'm not wreaking anything for you when I say, it's not all roses and sunshine, but I wont be joining any literature clubs in the near future.

I almost didn't play it because of the cliche anime look to it, and almost stopped several times because the beginning is very slow, once it gets rolling it's really good.

very happy with the "game play" and overall features of the game, I'll download it again.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Lunarius

I gotta say, usually I just treat the 'no sexual content'-stuff here like I treat decaf. If there's going to be flirting and sexual tension, but no actual sex, then the whole thing is just like an empty promise. Like decaf.

But I don't regret making an exception for Doki Doki Literature Club, though.

IMO the best visual novels out there are the ones that aren't quite what they seem to be at first glance. The ones that make you look twice at little details. The ones that make you ask questions. The ones where little things that seem off aren't just plot holes.

The ones that tell very different stories once you read between the lines.

Doki Doki Literature Club is definitely one of them. And even among VNs like that, this one is remarkably good. I remember how Myth from Circletempo had similarly clever storytelling - but I also thought that its characters kinda fell flat. But in Doki Doki Literature Club, the characters are just as good as the overall story - they're well-written, well-designed, and appealing. They really come to life.

Overall, I really recommend this VN, and I can't really name a single bad thing about it. Even without any sexual content, it fully deserves five stars (...and that's saying something when you consider what kind of site we're on right now)

One bit of advice, though - this is one of those games where there's little easter eggs in the game files. Finish the first route, then look in the game's main folder. (...I only found out myself because ren'py choked on a script and I had to restart the game)
  6. 5.00 star(s)

kshyk

My review: HOLY SHIT!
    My advice: PLAY THIS GAME. YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

This is my favourite story ever. Better than any book, tv series or pc game I knew so far.
    You may think this is just another simple novel. But seriosly. I was so consumed by this.
    I loved character so much I almost cry in some points (sorry for a small spoiler).

Just play this to the end, be patient, and make sure that you really checked averything. Not everythink you think or see is so obvious.

(I hope my review is clear enought to convince you)