Daz Doubt regarding daz3d pirated assets please help

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
BEFORE ASKING I WANT TO TELL THAT I HAVE READ A LOT OF THREADS AND I JUST KEEP GETTING MORE AND MORE CONFUSED SO PLEASE DONT LEAVE A LINK TO SOME OTHER THREAD.

Okay, guys, I am trying to make a game with the help of daz3d. I don't have any plans to include animations. I will just have normal renders(those still images). I am going to post the game on Patreon or somewhere so I am planning to make money out of it.

The problem I am facing is that I am out of budget. Whatever money I had was invested in the PC that I am using.
I have downloaded several assets from this site as currently, I am not able to pay for them. I am going to pay for each and every asset as and when I can afford them.

What my questions are that:

1) Would the original creator have a way to know whether I am using pirated assets or have I actually paid for them?
2) Even if that creator (or someone from Daz) do find that I have not paid, what will be the worst-case scenario? My game getting taken down or some legal problem?

If anyone has some knowledge regarding this topic kindly help me as this is the main problem I am having.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
1) No

2) Nop. Daz license clearly says the renders you make are your own. Even if they a accuse you of using pirated assets there's nothing they can do.

Just don't be to stupid to boost about it and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: maverick555

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
Thank you guys for your responses!
Might be a dumb question but would anyone actually contact me and ask the proof of payment or anything?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Thank you guys for your responses!
Might be a dumb question but would anyone actually contact me and ask the proof of payment or anything?
They could but I have never heared of anyone being contacted unless they were boosting about using pirated assets or using the assets themselves in the game (as actual 3D models). Even then you can just ignore them, theres nothing they do about it honestly.

Reactions: maverick555

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
They could but I have never heared of anyone being contacted unless they were boosting about using pirated assets or using the assets themselves in the game (as actual 3D models). Even then you can just ignore them, theres nothing they do about it honestly.
Thank you you've been a great help!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Elaboration:
2) Nop. Daz license clearly says the renders you make are your own. Even if they a accuse you of using pirated assets there's nothing they can do.
This is known as Transformative Work, where the art is in a new medium, 3D model to 2D image. In the united states, Transformative work is protected, so even if you steal everything, if you aren't sharing the 3D model (ie putting it in the game would be a method of sharing), but just making a 2D image, you get full copyright protection for that image in the united states. So this law may not apply to you if you are in another country.

good luck and pirate safely, remember to wear protection, download from trusted sources, and have a virus scanner (I recommend as a good security software if you are worried about viruses)

SlobberGoat

Jun 9, 2020
I have a question about Daz Studio and the option to be "always online" when you install. Did I make a horrible mistake in selecting that option if I want to experiment with a few assets from this site?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't think you made a mistake, I don't even know why you need to be online (i forget what the difference is), I just know with the daz installer manager, being online just means it checks to see what assets you have bought and tries to make them easy to download, but other than that I never need to worry about being online or not.

h0rnyc0der

Jun 3, 2020
thanks OP for this questions, i was wondering the same for some time.
Also about that online thing SlobberGoat asked.
Are you guys sure about that? If i install something into DAZ Studio, how can one be sure theres no hidden legitimacy check?
Maybe there is, and just because DAZ doesnt seem to take any legal action currently, it doesnt mean they couldnt, if they wanted to?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
thanks OP for this questions, i was wondering the same for some time.
Also about that online thing SlobberGoat asked.
Are you guys sure about that? If i install something into DAZ Studio, how can one be sure theres no hidden legitimacy check?
Maybe there is, and just because DAZ doesnt seem to take any legal action currently, it doesnt mean they couldnt, if they wanted to?
Then just set the firewall to block it and double check which sockets are being used

Nov 18, 2019
on the topic of pirated assets where can i get said assets not that i may use it in anyway but you may happen to dm those links it would be such an inconvenience
sorry for the language someone on this thread said don't boast :D:D

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
1. Yes there is a way to find out whether someone had pirated or not, but only DAZ is capable of doing it, and I am not exactly sure they are using it. This technology is called image steganography.

Try the following image in

here to decode the secret message, then you know it can be done.

If it can be done, then there is a risk of getting exposed.

2. Worst case scenario depends on the money you are earning from your games, or how wealthy you are, and how much they know about you. It's not worth the effort to come after pirates when they earn little to nothing, but when they start earning a significant amount of money, there is a risk, especially when you live in US. I guess the first thing that can happen is they will inform patreon to remove your game because the game violated their intellectual property rights, then money can be frozen if it's on patreon if the assets belong to DAZ was pirated. If it belongs to a content creator, then the risk can be low, but still there is a risk depending on the circumstance.

Last edited:

maverick555

Dec 10, 2019
1. Yes there is a way to find out whether someone had pirated or not, but only DAZ is capable of doing it, and I am not exactly sure they are using it. This technology is called image steganography.

2. Worst case scenario depends on the money you are earning from your games, or how wealthy you are, and how much they know about you. It's not worth the effort to come after pirates when they earn little to nothing, but when they start earning a significant amount of money, there is a risk, especially when you live in US. I guess the first thing that can happen is they will inform patreon to remove your game because the game violated their intellectual property rights, then money can be frozen if it's on patreon if the assets belong to DAZ was pirated. If it belongs to a content creator, then the risk can be low, but still there is a risk depending on the circumstance.
Okay, this did scare me a bit.
I think I will go-ahead with pirated assets as I don't have a way to pay for them yet.
Until the time I can afford I can just hope that no one finds me lol

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

Daz need to be able to differentiate a legit manually installed asset and a pirated one before anything. It's just not build that way (Daz files are quite transparent) nor how Daz assets are distribued (they are carbon copies not generated).

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Daz need to be able to differentiate a legit manually installed asset and a pirated one before anything. It's just not build that way (Daz files are quite transparent) nor how Daz assets are distribued (they are carbon copies not generated).
Exactly this. And if DAZ can differentiate between pirated and legit assets, why would they use some obscure method as steganography to hide this inside of the renders. Especially as it states the renders you make are your own property and putting some trackable information in it is from a legal standpoint is a giant risk factor.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Exactly this. And if DAZ can differentiate between pirated and legit assets, why would they use some obscure method as steganography to hide this inside of the renders. Especially as it states the renders you make are your own property and putting some trackable information in it is from a legal standpoint is a giant risk factor.
Also how are they going to track if you hire other people to do your renders?