Daz Doubt regarding daz3d pirated assets please help

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] If anyone has some knowledge regarding this topic kindly help me as this is the main problem I am having.
If the replies to this thread have taught you anything so far, it is that nobody knows "for sure".
... and that in and of itself should tell you something.

Other sites makes games available for download, etc. But here, developers do get involved. Not all of them, not even a large percentage of them. But the fact that nobody here yet can point to an example of someone getting in trouble should at least point to the fact that nobody* gets in trouble.

* there are no absolutes.

General consensus is that asset creators can't tell just by looking where you obtained their asset. I mean... how would they? I suppose if someone created an asset that was immediately identifiable and the author had only sold it to two people and they knew both those people... then saw that same asset in a game.... Then yeah... busted. But the sort of assets that turn up here on the site aren't so obscure and unique that they only sell 2 copies. Hell, I would almost pay money to a model maker to create a couple of other dress shops and office receptions... just so I don't see the the same environments used in literally dozens upon dozens of games.

Also consider that you aren't buying assets direct from the author. You're buying it from a store. The author has a contract with those stores. So do you (that "tick to agree" button you didn't read). Chances are privacy laws limit what personal details the store is allowed to share. (Someone please correct me, if the stores are only acting as intermediaries).

Beyond that... What are the chances that those same asset creators are playing dozens of NSFW games week in, week out? If they don't come across their own asset, what would even start them on the trail of trying to verify an actual purchase? (Not that the trail would go very far anyway). And ... ahem, if they ARE playing dozens of NSFW games each week... are they paying for them? hehe.

All of which are my assumptions... if you really want to see a potential boogieman around every corner... then yes, you are committing theft. Welcome to the internet. Worse case scenario is probably that your lawyer's fees will cost you more than any sanctions the courts would hand down.

Seriously, there are currently 6,303 games currently available here on F95, and 290 comics that use 3D rendered graphics. The vast majority of those projects are never going to be successful enough to pay for their own render assets. Yes, some people will have enough disposable income to buy all the assets before they can enjoy their hobby. So do the math... what's the chances that even half of those projects bought all their assets? And why hasn't someone here heard even a hint about just one of those offenders being sanctioned in some way.

"Try before you buy". Grab a few assets. Maybe you're not cut out to be a game developer. Finding that out before you spend hundreds of dollars on assets is probably a good idea. If you ever write a game successful enough to make "enough" money, I think most of us here would advocate buying some or all of the assets that made your game successful. But you do you.

Last edited:

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Yeah. Okay.

I was aiming for "stop worrying about it" and ended up with "you can't believe anyone".

It just felt that anyone trying that hard to find a reason to doubt, is always going to have doubt. The "Yeah, I believe you... but..." crowd.

Just pretend I phrased it right and... ah hell, I'm in danger of doing it again. Life's too short. Buy the assets, don't buy the assets... If thinking about it worries you, refer back to "life's too short".

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
1. Yes there is a way to find out whether someone had pirated or not, but only DAZ is capable of doing it, and I am not exactly sure they are using it. This technology is called image steganography.

Try the following image in

here to decode the secret message, then you know it can be done.

If it can be done, then there is a risk of getting exposed.

2. Worst case scenario depends on the money you are earning from your games, or how wealthy you are, and how much they know about you. It's not worth the effort to come after pirates when they earn little to nothing, but when they start earning a significant amount of money, there is a risk, especially when you live in US. I guess the first thing that can happen is they will inform patreon to remove your game because the game violated their intellectual property rights, then money can be frozen if it's on patreon if the assets belong to DAZ was pirated. If it belongs to a content creator, then the risk can be low, but still there is a risk depending on the circumstance.
Very cool, too bad image steganography degrades the quality of the final image, and for a program that is designed to make rendered image art, steganography would actively work against the function of the program.

And again, as I bring up every time someone worries about using pirated assets.

Handing out a 3D model (file) you don't own, BAD
Taking a stolen 3D model, and making a 2D image with it, This is called a Transformative Work, fully copyright protected, you own the 2D image, GOOD

Reactions: maverick555
Nov 18, 2019
well we all can agree its illegal but daz wouldnt spend 100's if not 1000's of $ to sue you if the asset is worth like 50$ from a business stand point thats stupidity. i think the best advice is make small games earn money and them buy assets when you feel your risking too much

DanStory

Sep 30, 2021
So the point is, we can use pirate asset and use commercially on patreon right?
without being afraid coz we just need some income, not a huge massive income right?

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
So the point is, we can use pirate asset and use commercially on patreon right?
without being afraid coz we just need some income, not a huge massive income right?
Not exactly.

For more information please read the thread again.

duodeno

Dec 10, 2021
i've read all the discussion, but i'd like to have a further confirmation if i can. if i use daz3 models to render 2d image to add them, for example, in a visual novel and i'm going to make it read for free, is it safe? i'm not going to earn money with it. thanks and sorry for the repetition

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
i've read all the discussion, but i'd like to have a further confirmation if i can. if i use daz3 models to render 2d image to add them, for example, in a visual novel and i'm going to make it read for free, is it safe? i'm not going to earn money with it. thanks and sorry for the repetition

If you own the 3D models in Daz3D... then the Daz3D asset licence allows you to use them to render 2D images and animations for any use. Commercial use included.

The only limitation is that a lot (probably most these days) of 3D models available through the Daz3D portal and other sites like renderosity have a separate (more expensive) licence for the same 3D models to be used in real-time 3D environments like Unity or Unreal Engine.

If you're just rendering for game engines like RenPy or RPGMaker, then the current existing licence already has you covered.

If you don't own the assets, then what are you worried about anyway? You're technically breaking the law already - so why worry about breaking the law a little bit more? The advice here for a long time has been "use the pirated assets if you must, but if you make enough money by selling your game - at least consider buying retrospectively the assets that contributed to your game's success".

I know people have talked about fair use and transformation. But in the US, they are what is known as an affirmative defence. They are effectively "Yeah, I shouldn't have used it... but....". A 3D model available on the Daz store and elsewhere is sold for the purposes of creating a 2D image or animation. However you use that model, it's still being used for it's intended purpose and therefore is not transformative. Transformative would be redrawing the textures that make up the model AND probably reorganizing the vertices of the underlying model in a significant way. Not just moving a few sliders around, since again... that is the primary intended use of such models. This sort of affirmative defence is usually the only time that "commercial" -vs- "non-commercial" usage matters, since it is part of .

Last edited:
Reactions: duodeno