Ren'Py - Abandoned - Dragons Keep Tavern [DEMOv2] [HornedCrew]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is Demo...

This game is a bit boring and very grindy...

The visuals of the characters are 2D hand drawn, and look alright for being a fantasy setting... The backdrops are few, and also 2D hand drawn, and look decent...

The script is decent, as I didn't run into hardly any spelling/grammar errors... The plot (what little there is) revolves around a male protagonist who wakes up and finds he has been taken in by a tavern keeper who very soon after gets killed... The killer assigns the protagonist as the new innkeeper and then the game begins... After some repetitive choice clicks some other characters are introduced, including a red haired maiden... She seeks refuge from some bad guys and he takes her in...

From there it becomes a very grindy game, as you chat a small bit to raise relationship status with a couple characters, buy gifts to increase moods, buy books to read in order to open new content with the maiden, and so on... It becomes highly repetitive and very grindy, trying to make money, to buy stuff and to pay taxes... You can eventually open up 4 different types of sexual encounters with the maiden, each level requiring a different book you have to buy then spend 6 in-game days reading each one... Once the protagonist actually has sex with the maiden, the current content ends and the game boots you...

There are a lot of quality of life issues I had with the game beyond it's boring game play... You can not CTRL past story and dialogue you've already seen... And the game play is extremely linear with not all that much real content to see... You spend at least 90% of your time doing highly repetitive tasks raising money to do even more repetitive things, before getting very small and short rewards...

Overall, I found this game to be rather boring... It is highly grindy and repetitive, the rewards are small, and trying to repeat rewards sometimes just punishes you... There is a small amount of story in the beginning, but that is about it... This game is still in development, but I'm not all that impressed for the moment... Will I revisit it? Not for a very long time, until it gets a lot more content added to make the time spent grinding, worth the effort...