Dumb noob question about name inputs

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
First ask the question "Do you want to name the characters or use default names?"
use default names as default
it's annoying as hell to be asked to name a bunch of characters, who you know nothing about all at once.
introduce the characters, and give a little info first before asking what they should be called.
I realize it's annoying but there's actually a reason I'm doing it this way. :)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Deleted the rpyc files and still doesn't work. I started a new project and pasted only your code and get the same thing - note that this only happens if I select "no" for changing Angel's name (and in the other code it happens for the other women if I choose No on their name changes too).
Uhhmm...
As you say, if the problem is when you say you don't want to change the name, I think it's because you haven't defined the variables of the default name... try this:

Code:
default shannon_name = Shannon
default angel_name = Angel
default olivia_name = Olivia
default maeve_name = Maeve

default s = Character("[shannon_name]", color="#06DE10", who_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ], what_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ])
default a = Character("[angel_name]", color="#A165F1", who_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ], what_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ])
default o = Character("[olivia_name]", color="#c8ffc8", who_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ], what_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ])
default m = Character("[maeve_name]", color="#c8ffc8", who_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ], what_outlines=[ (1, "#000000") ])

define short_dissolve = Dissolve(0.5)
define medium_dissolve = Dissolve(1.0)

# The game starts here.

label start:

# Show a background. This uses a placeholder by default, but you can
    # add a file (named either "bg room.png" or "bg room.jpg") to the
    # images directory to show it.

scene scene1_1

# This shows a character sprite. A placeholder is used, but you can
    # replace it by adding a file named "eileen happy.png" to the images
    # directory.

# These display lines of dialogue.

"Olivia" "OK girls I'm heading out to pick him up!"

scene scene1_2

"This is Mrs. Kelly. Her default name is Olivia. Would you like to change her name?"

menu:

"Yes":
           $  olivia_name = renpy.input("What is her name?", "Olivia", None, None, 10).strip()

"No":
            pass

#label olivia_name_done:

scene scene1_3

"Angel" "Pick who up, Mrs. Kelly?"

"This is Miss Davis, a friend of the family. Her default name is Angel. Would you like to change her name?"

menu:

"Yes":
            $ angel_name = renpy.input("What is her name?", "Angel", None, None, 10).strip()

"No":
            pass

scene scene1_4

"Shannon" "Whom."

scene scene1_5

"This is the youngest daughter of the family. Her default name is Shannon. Would you like to change her name?"

menu:

"Yes":
            $ shannon_name = renpy.input("What is her name?", "Shannon", None, None, 10).strip()

shannon_name = shannon_name.strip() or __("Shannon")

"No":
            pass

#label shannon_name_done:

scene scene1_6

a "Bitch."

Reactions: anne O'nymous

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Deleted the rpyc files and still doesn't work. I started a new project and pasted only your code and get the same thing - note that this only happens if I select "no" for changing Angel's name (and in the other code it happens for the other women if I choose No on their name changes too).
I really don't see anything wrong there, using define should work correctly btw.
Did you notice that you have no input for "maeve_name"?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I realize it's annoying but there's actually a reason I'm doing it this way. :)
I realize that you have "reasons" and they might make sense to you. but

Sure, some people like personalizing the story. Giving that option is good, it helps some people get off, when they can name the character "look ma, remember Becky from 5th grade... i finally got to fuck her.. wooohoo"

But what happens when your character turns out to be nothing like the real Becky? damn that's not becky, i should have named that one grandma... instead of adding to immersion it only brings... regrets.

which is why I suggest holding off on naming the characters, until the player at least sees them, and gets to know them a little.
then they have no regrets... "hell yeah, that's my Becky"

Some players don't self insert, they don't want to fuck Becky, they want to see your story, they don't want to fuck Becky, they want to fuck your girlfriend. If your girlfriend has a name, it adds to the immersion. Instead of fucking Becky, the player is fucking your girlfriend.

Give the option to change names anytime. a menu for name changing. so when Becky turns out to not be Becky-like you can change her name to something more appropriate . henceforth you shall be known a Rachel... or until I change my mind again.

Last edited:

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
I think the problem is that you create the name variables only in the Yes part.
Either define the name variables with a default name before the menu and only change it in the yes option or add the default name in the No option as well

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I really don't see anything wrong there, using define should work correctly btw.
Did you notice that you have no input for "maeve_name"?
Yeah she comes along down the road about 30 screens or so.

I realize that you have "reasons" and they might make sense to you. but

Sure, some people like personalizing the story. Giving that option is good, it helps some people get off, when they can name the character "look ma, remember Becky from 5th grade... i finally got to fuck her.. wooohoo"
I don't want to spoil things on my story here, but it's designed to play around a little with the expectations people have built over playing multiple VN's like this. I completely understand what you're saying, and you are absolutely right, but I guess all I can say is trust me when I say my story is a little different, and the name thing serves a specific purpose.

Reactions: polywog

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I think the problem is that you create the name variables only in the Yes part.
Either define the name variables with a default name before the menu and only change it in the yes option or add the default name in the No option as well
I think this fixed it! First I tried defining the name in the no option and that didn't work. Then I used default instead of define and that seemed to do the trick. Thank you guys so much for your help! I really appreciate the hell out of y'all.