Ren'Py Easiest program to edit script files in Ren'Py?

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm currently using Notepad++ to do a bunch of editing of Ren'py game files, and it's...fine. I don't hate it, but there's little things that drive me nuts, like the way the program is always trying to insert tabs that I have to go back and hunt down and replace with spaces.

Anybody have any Notepad++ tips, or preferred programs?

Reactions: Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
"EmEditor is a fast, lightweight, yet extensible, easy-to-use text editor for Windows. Both native 64-bit and 32-bit builds are available! " -

Costs money - or well - this is a pirate site after all. lol :sneaky:

If interested send me a PM.

Cheers

Reactions: Heisenberg867

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
You can adjust the tab setting to be the normal 4 spaces that renpy uses. Setting->preferences->Language->tab size / replace by space .
Never knew that?! - Sort of on the better side of awesome!!!
Great tip - thanks riktor :p

Cheers

Reactions: riktor

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
I tend to prefer notepad++ for all my windows based text editing, You can adjust the tab setting to be the normal 4 spaces that renpy uses. Setting->preferences->Language->tab size / replace by space .
You've just saved me probably cumulatively days of my life spent hunting down rogue "tab" characters. Thanks a million.

Follow-up question, if you don't mind. In the game I'm modding (never done this before), the command structure the original dev used for changing visuals is "scene bg [filename]". What is the purpose of the "bg" in that string? I've experimented with deleting it and the program seems to understand "scene [filename]" just fine.

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
You've just saved me probably cumulatively days of my life spent hunting down rogue "tab" characters. Thanks a million.

Follow-up question, if you don't mind. In the game I'm modding (never done this before), the command structure the original dev used for changing visuals is "scene bg [filename]". What is the purpose of the "bg" in that string? I've experimented with deleting it and the program seems to understand "scene [filename]" just fine.
couldn't say with any certainty without looking at the scripts. could be a layer reference maybe

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
What is the purpose of the "bg" in that string? I've experimented with deleting it and the program seems to understand "scene [filename]" just fine.
Images are grouped by RenPy according to the first part of their name (before the first space).
Then only one image of a given group can be shown at a time.
("group" is my term, I'm sure RenPy call it something else).

The primary reason would be something like character images. So...

show helen swimsuit lookingright at left
show helen swimsuit center at right

... would replace the "helen" image looking right, with the alternate image of helen looking straight on, even though they are displayed on different sides of the screen (at right/at left).
Handy when you have two or three separate character sprites on screen at a time.
But it would also apply to any image shown using show or scene or similar command that displays an image. So maybe it'd replace one UI element with another or whatever.

In your particular case... "bg" is RenPy's recommended grouping for background images. It tends to be how their example scripts are written, etc. I'm not sure the actual "bg" is important, it's just a convention the author can use or not use.

I'd expect to see it more with show rather than scene, since scene effectively clears the screen of all previously shown images/elements before displaying the named image anyway. But it does no harm and leans into the idea of grouping all the same types of image together under one sort of "owner" id.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
For the edition, personally I use .
It's a text editor oriented coding, with all the expected features for this kind of tool ; syntax completion, highlight, possibility to reduce blocks for a better understanding of the file, choice of the encoding, spell check and so many more. It's not free, but there's possibility to find an activation key here and there.
This said, there isn't best tool for this kind of thing, except the one yourself find easy to use.

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
In your particular case... "bg" is RenPy's recommended grouping for background images. It tends to be how their example scripts are written, etc. I'm not sure the actual "bg" is important, it's just a convention the author can use or not use.

I'd expect to see it more with show rather than scene, since scene effectively clears the screen of all previously shown images/elements before displaying the named image anyway. But it does no harm and leans into the idea of grouping all the same types of image together under one sort of "owner" id.
Thanks, this seems to be right on point. I suspect that even though the 'bg' is mostly unnecessary based on the game structure, the original dev just has an orderly mind and likes making sure everything is properly labelled.

aphrodisia

Eccentric Empress
Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm currently using Notepad++ to do a bunch of editing of Ren'py game files, and it's...fine. I don't hate it, but there's little things that drive me nuts, like the way the program is always trying to insert tabs that I have to go back and hunt down and replace with spaces.

Atom. Atom specifically supports Ren'Py syntax highlighting and can actually be downloaded and installed via the Ren'Py launcher. It's the "recommended" editor by the creator. Also, it's just really easy on the eyes~ None of that tab BS either, in my experience.

Reactions: Heisenberg867

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Atom. Atom specifically supports Ren'Py syntax highlighting and can actually be downloaded and installed via the Ren'Py launcher. It's the "recommended" editor by the creator. Also, it's just really easy on the eyes~ None of that tab BS either, in my experience.
Hi aphrodisia Grisld88,

I cannot remember which post the info is from but, here is a pic in use (Tabs to Spaces). -

Last edited:

aphrodisia

Eccentric Empress
Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Hi aphrodisia,

I cannot remember which post the info is from but, here is a pic in use (Tabs to Spaces). -
I don't and have never used Notepad++. Perhaps you meant this for the OP?

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
I don't and have never used Notepad++. Perhaps you meant this for the OP?
Sorry, damn my eyes. :)

It was this post and I was looking at your avatar pic when I wrote the reply, there was the mix-up:

Grisld88 said:

So my post is in response to Grisld88.

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
I eventually stumbled across Atom and I'm glad I did. Can confirm that it's both easier on the eyes and much easier to understand a script with the syntax highlighting.

Reactions: aphrodisia

wasya2009

Dec 13, 2018
Grisld88
Я использовал Атом - всем хорош, он мне не понравился тем, что быстрее "рак на горе свистнет", пока он прогрузится - Heavy Resource eating Programm. Зато можно не только текст редактировать но и картинки просматривать, что иногда* бывает очень необходимо. Браузер + Редактор в одном флаконе (Chromium engine - прилагается)

MS VS Code - такой же монстр, что и Atom.

Notepad++ - меня полностью устраивает. Стабильная работа, без crush and errors!!! Но главное его преимущество, plugin compare, который мне бывает часто нужен. В других редакторах, он не такой информативный и удобный ИМХО.

Sublime Text - этот редактор думаю запуститься даже на старом кнопочном телефоне. Он такой же как Notepad++, только с большими файлами работает еще быстрее и так же стабилен. Но необычные настройки программы могут отпугнуть от нее. И еще если использовать бесплатную версию всплывающее окно достанет, но пользоваться программой можно и freeware.

Лично я остановился на Notepad++ и Sublime Text
Ну и сперва бы возможности программы изучил, а то прыгать с одной программы на другую... в результате не освоишь толком ни одну, but it's you decision. :rolleyes:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
wasya2009 Please, as stated by the rules, "we are an English only community. Please provide a translation with your post if its not in English".

Reactions: riktor