Easiest way to make open world

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
I too am trying to create a 3D game at the moment and I'm a big fan of Unreal Engine since I started using it a few months ago. As cgasper said you get lots of free stuff, some permantly free and some monthly free assets which are usually high quality. Also you can use the Quixel megascan library in Unreal for free which has lots of very high quality environmental assets. I don't plan to create any 3D models on my own and just use marketplace assets, imported Daz assets and Megascans assets and for now I think it might just work.

While it takes a lot of time and discipline I think it is possible to create a beautiful (small) 3D game as a solo developer but you will need to learn to code, there is no way around it. It will take a lot of time and energy and if you don't have fun doing it or lose motivation you will fail 100%.

Like the others I recommend you to do a small project first. You will learn a ton and not lose motivation as fast. The hardest part is actually finishing something. If you plan to go ahead with your project best work on it every day. Even if it's just 15 minutes. This will give you routine and keep you motivated and disciplined. Remember the tale about the tortoise and the hare. It's the same with game development or anything else that is difficult and takes time tbh, slow and steady will get you further.
Set yourself small goals and update them as you go, don't set timelimits for yourself. Motivation will probably be your biggest enemy.

Saying that, I don't really understand what you mean by using rendered images in an open world game. It seems weird to me having both at the same time. Real time graphic can be pretty good if that is your concern.
Anyway good luck!