• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML Easy or Grindy option

should it be easy or grindy to learn the spells?

• Easy

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Grindy

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Meesteres

Game Developer
Apr 25, 2018
So I am making a game inspired by a spell for all, but more story-driven and fewer choices .

So basically one night your deceased grandmother calls out to you and tells you to find her grimoire. Which you do, the grimoire's basically her spellbook/diary so you can find out what happened to her and what she did and how.

Eventually, you find out about her slave cult in the 70s which she acquired through magic. Once she dies the spell did too and in theme of that and this sudden power you recieved, you want to do the same to friends, teachers, enemies and family but you must be careful since there are other witches around.

So my question is regarding the book, since I am making the spells in french it should be fairly easy to translate e.g. Ouvrir ce qui est fermé (open what is closed).

Should it be

A) long and grindy

You just woke up choose what to do

1} learn spells

B) Quick so you can get on with the plot

hameleona

Oct 27, 2018
What's the purpose of the Grind?
Grind is a very badly defined thing. Repeating something 3 times is rarely considered grind. Repeating something 30 times is just Grind. But not always. Repeating the same sequence of actions with every character will feel like grind, even if those actions are few in number. Having a resource gathering mechanic on the other side will inherently be grindy but if it's well implemented it won't be a problem.

You'll often hear that going to work in a lot of games feels like grind. And it is. It ether feels unrealistic (hey, I just skipped 10 days from work and nobody gives a shit), or the whole sequence becomes boring.

I don't get what your aim for the spell learning is, so I'll just continue with the work analogy.

You want your MC to work to gain money. Ok, no problem, we all have to work, we understand. But we all have to work. So ether make the process interesting in some way (maybe write a whole sub-plot that goes on there with the MC having to keep his crazy sex life away from there, maybe write a climbing the corporate ladder plot or make work be a series of small stories related to projects at work), or create some way to end the grind - the MC gains blackmail stuff on the boss, mind controls them, wins the lottery, robs a bank, whatever.

Grind must have purpose. Otherwise it's just annoying. And even if there is a purpose - repeating the same bunch of clicks 30 times is just boring.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

EnsenL

Jun 10, 2017
What grind does is increase the connection the player feels with the MC by experiencing the growth gradually. There needs to be a delicate balance between the mild grind and satisfying scenes that will hold the players interest.

Jun 25, 2018
There needs to be a point to the grind, preferably with some kind of attached story and/or smut, or else its just wasting time which is never a good thing for the player.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Artificial grind that's only purpose is to increase game time just mean I wont even bother playing the game.

Reactions: hameleona