VN Ren'Py Abandoned Empire of the Sand [v0.7] [Suidan]

John Sénat

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2018
EmpireBanner.png

Overview:

Have you ever seen or read Dune and wanted to explore that world a little deeper ?
Or rather a slightly different version of that world, in which events and powers aren't exactly the same ?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thread Updated: 2021-07-04
Release Date: 2021-07-04
Developer: Suidan -
Censored: No
Version: 0.7
Language: English, French(incomplete)
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - - - - -
Mac: - - - - -

screenshot0001.png Ksz8As.png screenshot0004.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kayzer

Sep 4, 2018
Unfortunately this game uses art assets from Akabur's game. Isn't this considered plagiarism?
No, as far as I've seen Akabur seems to be quite liberal with giving others use of his assets, so if the creator has permission it's fine, if not it could be some sort of copyright breach.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Grelk

Rasnec

Mar 2, 2018
No, as far as I've seen Akabur seems to be quite liberal with giving others use of his assets, so if the creator has permission it's fine, if not it could be some sort of copyright breach.

i am sorry but when one line on his itch.io page is

Empire of the Sand displays a lot of game mechanics and animations made with heart since I started working on this game in August 2019.

i really belive there is any permission to do so

Reactions: seden

Floorboards

Jan 18, 2018
Im in an odd situation that i assume is a bug where i cant sell any spice. besides that the game shows promise and ill be keeping an eye on it

loikl

Feb 14, 2018
True, akabur is quite liberal with its assets and I don't think there are problems (legal at least), however reusing assets and not creating your own is usually not good, since the scenes will be limited to what the previous dev I have created, so if you have played at some point any Akabur game, you will surely have already seen the scenes.
This game could work and be successful if you not only reuse assets but also create new ones.

Reactions: Dammit

Kayzer

Sep 4, 2018
however reusing assets and not creating your own is usually not good, since the scenes will be limited to what the previous dev I have created, so if you have played at some point any Akabur game, you will surely have already seen the scenes.
Now that's true, but assuming you can't create visuals yourself you have to rely on either using existing assets or pay/rope in an artist for your project, which I would assume is expensive and/or not that easy.

loikl

Feb 14, 2018
Now that's true, but assuming you can't create visuals yourself you have to rely on either using existing assets or pay/rope in an artist for your project, which I would assume is expensive and/or not that easy.
Of course, in fact, several games use this mode of reusing assets from other artists, it is not something bad or new, I am just saying that it would be useful at least to modify or re-adapt what already exists to give it a different context.

Reactions: dawlben and Kayzer

John Sénat

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2018
About all that assets stuff : yes, all assets included in the game are taken from other sources, including Akabur's character graphics. The most I have done in that regard has been to reimplement the way they are managed in the game, and to (re)color some characters. It's a free game, I don't take tips and I don't intend to make any profit out of it. Ever.

My efforts and what I want to express by creating this game are primarily about the story I want to tell, and in some measure the visual effects I was able to create with Ren'Py's engine.
It's also about the challenge of creating a game with just what's already there, kind of like being a kid with a bunch of lego characters from different universes and try and create a consistent story around it.
So no, the focus of the game is not on the sex CG, it's about the characters and the plot (maybe I should make that clearer in the description).