VN Ren'Py Abandoned Empire of the Sand [v0.7] [Suidan]

Ratnedalu

Jan 11, 2018
Unfortunately this game uses art assets from Akabur's game. Isn't this considered plagiarism?
Edit: My disappointment is imesurable and my day is ruined.
Saw this comment before reading the thread so someone may have addressed this, but Akabur released his assets for public use. I've seen this come up in a couple Akabur asset based games. On the other hand, it still isn't original content...

Zellgoddess

May 11, 2017
good luck to you, sad that there wont be any new art used in the game but if your not making a $ off the game then that's not a bad thing as it clearly means you get what you pay for and since we ant paying anything we cant expect you to give us what you cant afford.

on another note i might play your game after i see the first update as way too many games get posted here and then never get an update and are abandoned. i will ask though is your game going to be in the spirit of akabar's games and well a few others that i like the most and have free roam with mod-able aspects of the game if not then best of luck to ya, but i wont play it as that mean its basically a VN and i don't play those.

Reactions: Dammit

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Well, I didn't play through it so I won't leave a rating, but here are some remarks from what I saw (up to the point where you need 500k currency to continue and I only had 50k):

- The Dune setting is awesome, though the game takes a metric ****ton of liberties with it, to the point of alienating fans of Dune.
- The management aspect could potentially be cool, but so far it doesn't amount to much of anything. Even what very little is there needs to be explained: does antagonizing the Fremen/smugglers for spice harvesting have effects? If so, is it tracked-long term? If it is, it needs to be indicated somewhere. Same for selling to to the Houses.
- The erotic aspect seems to be a tease. Lot of topless shots, but the sex happens off-screen. Not that I would want to see sex without build-up or prior interaction as a player. What is the theme here? Is it going to be a trainer? A dating sim? A brothel manager? There should be some persistent game mechanics related to the ero-content.
- The MC's House is going down, his father presumed dead, and he's still in the mood for some nookie? Yikes. And he's way, way too quick to try to assassinate the most powerful ruler in the known universe. Is he supposed to be an emotionless sociopath?

Reactions: Dammit

John Sénat

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2018
- The Dune setting is awesome, though the game takes a metric ****ton of liberties with it, to the point of alienating fans of Dune.
Well that's kinda the point. If you want to tell an interesting story, you have to change it from the original (which would probably not be the case if I were doing a simple managerial game). I inspired myself off how the first DOS Dune game did it, where the MC's House is never kicked off Arrakis, but where a lot of elements of the books are still there, just assembled differently.
There are a lot of niche elements from the books in my game if you know where to look, for example
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- The management aspect could potentially be cool, but so far it doesn't amount to much of anything. Even what very little is there needs to be explained: does antagonizing the Fremen/smugglers for spice harvesting have effects? If so, is it tracked-long term? If it is, it needs to be indicated somewhere. Same for selling to to the Houses.
The former is noticeable in dialogues, and antagonizing the Fremen will have a real impact when I add their story arc.
Selling to the Houses should have an impact, I just have to code it.... but basically it's supposed to be like "if you starve them they obliterate you, the end".

- The erotic aspect seems to be a tease. Lot of topless shots, but the sex happens off-screen. Not that I would want to see sex without build-up or prior interaction as a player. What is the theme here? Is it going to be a trainer? A dating sim? A brothel manager? There should be some persistent game mechanics related to the ero-content.
It's just a story game, a visual novel in the plain sense of the term, which happens to have some lewd elements in it.
Should I add the "No Sexual Content" tag ? Real question.

- The MC's House is going down, his father presumed dead, and he's still in the mood for some nookie? Yikes. And he's way, way too quick to try to assassinate the most powerful ruler in the known universe. Is he supposed to be an emotionless sociopath?
Yes. Kinda.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Mar 2, 2021
Overall, I like the setting and the length of the story. The economics element is fun but can get a bit tedious. Moving around to different settings through the story is a clear strength. Below are some suggestions for improvement:
  • Auto sell function for the market
  • Add Gold to the main HUD
  • 500,000 goal was too high and a bit monotonous to reach.
  • Shehanna character model doesn’t quite fit. Face is not consistent with other designs.

Reactions: John Sénat