Tutorial Ren'Py Enabling Developer & Command Consoles In Ren'py

Kalmortha

Mar 9, 2019
Er... I just tried, and the console works fine, even when the game run as admin. Are you sure that you type SHIFT + o (it must be the lowercase "o") ?
Yeah I finaly got it running. Now I just need a mod so that a single crit will remove outfits instead of the two hit crit to do it. Thanks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Now I just need a mod so that a single crit will remove outfits instead of the two hit crit to do it.
It's not really useful. Not only the game is easy enough to not really need the effective advantage it gave, but you'll have really plenty of occasion to witness double critical hit for each one of the characters, boss included. The CG are marvelous and include the intermediary step, take the time to admire them while you play.
And if really you want to see them all naked, use to extract the CG from the .rpa file.

Reactions: Kalmortha

fr12rebel

Mar 6, 2018
Figured I'd add this for everyone so they can modify Ren'Py games.

To enable Developer Console:

OPTION 1:
Download the options.rpy file at

it goes into the /renpy game xxx../game/ folder.

OPTION 2:
in "renpy game xxx" folder enter /game folder. create file "options.rpy"
type this text in it --
init -1:
python hide:
config.developer = True
--save and exit.
*Important!!!!! second line needs 4 spaces before python hide:
Third line needs 8 spaces before config.developer = True*

Now to enable Console Commands:

Go to "Renpy game xxx"/ Renpy / Common / 00console.rpy
ctrl+f and enter config.console
Set config.console variable to True
Example..... config.console = True
Save file
in game press shift O (letter)
I tried this but if i do that i get an error:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I tried this but if i do that i get an error:
Ren'py have the particularity to be wrote in a way that he'll handle many errors without (too much) problems. This imply that some errors are only shown when the developer mode is enabled.
Congratulation, you found an error that was unknown of the dev, or that he didn't cared to solve (yet).
To correct this, just revert the step where you enabled the developer mode.

fr12rebel

Mar 6, 2018
Ren'py have the particularity to be wrote in a way that he'll handle many errors without (too much) problems. This imply that some errors are only shown when the developer mode is enabled.
Congratulation, you found an error that was unknown of the dev, or that he didn't cared to solve (yet).
To correct this, just revert the step where you enabled the developer mode.

This is how it is at me. Can you help me with it ?. I have no clue for it.

dave420

Jan 24, 2019
darn it doesnt work for me on DMD (dating my daughter) it has an Options.rpyc file already but its encrypted as it seems is there a way to decrypt? or can i do something else to get the console running?

if i put the downloaded options rpy in the game it just keeps crashing

Mavedick97

Jan 17, 2019
darn it doesnt work for me on DMD (dating my daughter) it has an Options.rpyc file already but its encrypted as it seems is there a way to decrypt? or can i do something else to get the console running?

if i put the downloaded options rpy in the game it just keeps crashing

Bro games like DMD don't need to cracked by console. Just follow the walkthrough and you should get to see all content no problem..
Akabur games are more of a grinding type games which require console to edit the stats to unlock scenes. DMD doesn't have it's scenes locked, it's just a story playing on and you just have to make the right choice when it's time.

qwertyuiop0

Apr 29, 2018
I've been trying to enable dev mode in many games, but keep getting this exception. how to fix this? shift+o works, just shift+d does not.
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 307, in _developer
    renpy.show_screen("_developer")
Exception: Screen _developer is not known.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anakinana

Feb 15, 2019
I've this, when i use the console commands
unicodedecodeerror 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 0 ordinal not in range(128)
Can you help me?
thanks
maybe you enter a non-english character in a directory or filename? The zip format only really supports ascii.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
maybe you enter a non-english character in a directory or filename? The zip format only really supports ascii.
Er... Dark grey texts and black backgrounds aren't really friends. It's way better to let the forum deal by itself with the color of your text.

Feb 10, 2019
Hello! Use android to normally play this game! So pls can u give instructions on how to install it in any adult android game. Thank you.

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
OK ignorant question time.

Originally when I used the dir() command in RenPy it displayed a list of all variables, now it is displaying the first 20 variables and an ellipse (...)

Why did this change and how can I get it to go back to the original output?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Why did this change and how can I get it to go back to the original output?
Because sometimes the value displayed are really long and overload the console's history.
You control this with long (full values) and short (shortened values) in the console.
Something useful to know, help give you a short help of the commands available in the console.

Sonico

Engaged Member
Jul 21, 2018
Was seeing an old post of yours on how to modify Ren'Py games and got a little lost in a part.

[/QUOTE]

Where and how do i enter config console in the first place? Is it something i do in the game settings or the folders? no familiarity whatsoever with the subject.

Reactions: TheGuyverOne

eddy71

Feb 26, 2018
Was seeing an old post of yours on how to modify Ren'Py games and got a little lost in a part.

Where and how do i enter config console in the first place? Is it something i do in the game settings or the folders? no familiarity whatsoever with the subject.
[/QUOTE]

1. Go to your game folder (Like Parental Love in my case) and navigate to "ParentalLove-version012-pc\ParentalLove-version0.12-pc\renpy\common".
2. Search for file "00console.rpy".
3. Right click on it and you will find "Open with". Click on it.
4. A window will open and select open with notepad.
5. Hold ctrl and press "F" key. Find window will open.
6. Search "config.console" without quotes. Keep on searching till you find "config.console = False" statement. Change it to config.console = True and then save.
7. Open your game. Hold ctrl and press letter "O". Console will open.

ioioioioio

Apr 29, 2017
How to get full ouput in command console?
Since some month, when i type dir() for example, i only have 10 first variables and then "...".
Before i had all variables

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
How to get full ouput in command console?
Since some month, when i type dir() for example, i only have 10 first variables and then "...".
Before i had all variables
Open the console, type help, look at what is said for "long" and "short".