Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
it happens when I try to press Alt+E a second time after activating it once.
So... Is the fixed version in the previous post effectively solving the problem for all the games or not ? :/

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
having this kind of error when installing this util in harem hotel v0.8.2.The error got when i save the game
[...]
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'function'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.function failed
Hmm... It's supposed to have securities preventing this to happen :/
I'll look to it once I come back home, thanks for the report.

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
Got the same error message in at least 6 other games. Thought it might be an issue with the Renpy version as at least half of them updated from a lower renpy version to the current one.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
having this kind of error when installing this util in harem hotel v0.8.2.The error got when i save the game
Found the error for this one, and fixed it (see attached file).

bstr2k2 I'm not really sure if it's the same kind of error.
Can you tell me if it also works for you ? And if not give me the name of the games, I'll look deeper and fix them.

Like I never had an answer from Amon99 , I kept the version number at 2.05.
If it solve the problem for both of you I'll make it the official version, else I'll fix yours bstr2k2 before updating the thread.

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
as i´m currently very busy with work and some hardware projects i will only be able to test next weekend.
i will give you a detailed list of the games i tested with (current and old AONvve) and the logs for those.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

3xd_tango

Jul 28, 2017
Found the error for this one, and fixed it (see attached file).

bstr2k2 I'm not really sure if it's the same kind of error.
Can you tell me if it also works for you ? And if not give me the name of the games, I'll look deeper and fix them.

Like I never had an answer from Amon99 , I kept the version number at 2.05.
If it solve the problem for both of you I'll make it the official version, else I'll fix yours bstr2k2 before updating the thread.
working like a charm mate

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I know that I said it before, but one day I'll really need to rewrite all this...

It's just that it's not a task this appealing, there's so much works behind the scene. But each time I add a fix/catch for an error, generally a bad practice of the game author (which isn't a criticism, the majority of them never wrote a single line of code before), it make the rewriting a little more complex to do. And I don't even talk about the testing...

Don't care about me, I'm just thinking aloud, trying to find the missing motivation :D

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
okay, i had a lil time today and i tested all the games where there were any issues with PicklingErrors.
Seems they are all working now. So not an issue with an upgrade of RenpyVersions or some such.

3xd_tango

Jul 28, 2017
well there is still have same kind of error (got that when i open up util "ALT+E" and close then save), using with unren extract and decrypt rpa n rpyc game AFamiliarVenture-0.04c

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
File "E:\AFamiliarVenture-0.04c_patreon-pc\AFamiliarVenture-0.04c_patreon-pc\renpy\loadsave.py", line 49, in dump
cPickle.dump(o, f, cPickle.HIGHEST_PROTOCOL)
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'function'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.function failed
Rhaaa again a data that shouldn't be here because not savable... And I only works with the list that Ren'py use to know what to save :( This shouldn't happen at all.

I'll try to catch this one and add it in the exclusion part, but I really need to find a more generic fix. Alas, I fear that it will need a full rewrite of the code :(

Reactions: yoyomistro

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
@anne O'nymous:
if you really do have to rewrite all that code, and i have had a good look at it ... at least we ppl here in this thread will help you.
we are the ones that benefit from your hard work so its only logical we help you out in any way we can.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
File "E:\AFamiliarVenture-0.04c_patreon-pc\AFamiliarVenture-0.04c_patreon-pc\renpy\loadsave.py", line 49, in dump
cPickle.dump(o, f, cPickle.HIGHEST_PROTOCOL)
Alright, found it.
[tech note]
The cause was a class declared without ancestor (not even Object). It was showing everything in its dict, including __init__ which was the cause of the error.
[/]

I applied a quick fix, but I'm 100% not happy with it, which mean that I have no choice, I'll rewrite the tool :( Unless a bug breaking the tool for too many game is discovered, the 2.05.01 will be the last update of the 2.x version.

I don't know yet when the 3.x will be released, but I'll try to be fast for once.

Side note:
bstr2k2 you'll be disappointed. What you saw in the archive of the 2.05 wasn't expected to be here :D

Reactions: yoyomistro
5.00 star(s) 6 Votes