External RTX 2070 with 1060X laptop

Dirk Grey

May 8, 2019
I'm considering beefing up my laptop with the following external, but I don't know whether I can simultaneously use 2070 with my 1060X without a problem. Is there anyone that uses it, or know whether it works?

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
There are a number of limitations and requirements for using eGPU boxes.
To start with, your laptop will need to have Thunderbolt 3 capabilities. Most laptops don't.
You WILL have people recommending to just get a desktop here, since a laptop and eGPU are simply less powerful than the 'real thing'. But it is a reasonable compromise -- if your laptop is capable of it in the first place.

Secondly, it can also depend on the app itself. While the OS might be capable of this, the app also has to set up to use them.
I am assuming you are talking about using this for Daz? I haven't tried dual cards myself, but I believe you have to set up Daz to take advantage of it. Should be simple, but you have to do it.
But keep in mind that Daz is set up in a way that it can only use the memory size for the card with the least amount of memory.. thus if you use both, your weaker card will limit things. Ie: using a 6 Gb and 8 gb card will limit yourself to 6 Gbs for rendering.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I agree that it's better to buy a decent desktop PC.
If you use many hours your laptop's internal card to render the temperatures will be very high and I don't think that's good for the laptop... it's okay to have laptops with those graphics to play for a few hours, but the rendering process is sometimes constant, day and night o_O:p

As for using 2 or more cards with DAZ, it's very easy to configure, just go to the advanced tab within the rendering options and mark which cards you want to use (I don't know how it will work with an external card, but if the OS recognizes it you shouldn't have a problem).

And as for the limitation that can create the lower card, doesn't work exactly as commented; imagine that you have a card of 6GB and another of 11GB, if your scene is less than 6GB Daz will use both cards for rendering, if the scene is more than 6GB and less than 11GB Daz will ONLY use the 11GB graphics card... and if for misfortune the scene exceeds 11GB Daz will render only with the CPU and the render will be incredibly slower.

PS: For the price of that external card, you could buy a 1080Ti that is highly recommended for Daz for its 11GB (y):D

Dirk Grey

May 8, 2019
The issue is that I already have a gaming laptop with 1060X, and the external unit is a relatively low cost addition (600$ only with the card and the unit together). But maybe you guys are right, I should just stay put with my laptop for the learning phase, then switch to a decent desktop.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
I built an ryzen 7 system. 32gb ram watercooled .gtx 1060 and 1070 for a tiny bit more than youre going to pay for that external gpu......

I think the gpu will work.. but you'll likely mostly just be using that gpu for your renders.. the system will offload everything there.

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
You WILL have people recommending to just get a desktop here....
Don't fool yourself and buy a decent Desktop workstation.
Agreed, I would consider purchasing a Desktop as well.
I agree that it's better to buy a decent desktop PC.
Am psychic or what? 3x statements with that recommendation.

@Grey Dagger -- I would strongly recommend ignoring those statements.
Can you can afford a full desktop right now? Then go for it. I also recommend that.
But your question is really one of a cost/benefit analysis. Getting an eGPU is more cost effective than buying an entire desktop system outright. It isn't as good, but that isn't the question. Sometimes you can't meet the expenses for 'best'. The question is if it would meet your needs given what you can afford right now, and if it would be worth getting that in the meantime.

An eGPU can tide you over if you can't afford a desktop immediately, and provide you with a GPU that you can reuse later.
Would cost more in the long run, but would also give you something now.
So the real answer is -- what would work best for you? Try to learn more and make an educated decision. Check out to see how the box you selected works for others. Understand the limitations. There is a of those boxes which will help give you an idea of what you are looking at.
See what you can get in terms of a desktop given your current budget to compare.
Then make your decision.

Just to clarify, you DO have a thunderbolt 3 laptop? If not, the entire question is moot.