Facepalms

-KC-

got land?
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2019
Ok, I gotta say, I can accept people not agreeing with what I gotta say by use of a dislike button but by only offering up a facepalm button it is only viewed as an insult! When my posts get facepalmed it's like "What you said is so fucking stupid, I'm speechless" To me it immediately turns into a hockey fight where we drop the gloves & I pull your sweater over your head so I can smash the shit out of you while you are helpless! Which leads to threads needing to be cleaned for Rule #1. Since it's inception I have been DM'd by many members with the same ideals as me, I don't know if it because they are old like me and facepalms have a different meaning to millennials & the older generation but I would like the Admin & Staff of the site to have some discussion about how something may seem meaningless to some is a huge insult to others...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When my posts get facepalmed it's like "What you said is so fucking stupid, I'm speechless" [...]
You aren't arrogant enough. A facepalm just prove that this particular reader isn't smart enough to understand how right you are ;)

I agree that it's totally a question of point of view, but I doubt that it's a question of age ; or perhaps a question of "virtual age" (seniority on Internet and virtual communities). At near to 50yo, I don't really care to be facepalmed. On near to 20 years on Internet, and before that around 10 on BBS and BBS-like, I've been told way worse that whatever one can put as meaning in the facepalm he gave me ; even had for years my real name associated to photos of a neo-nazi, in the explicitly said intent to "destroy the son of a bitch that [I am]".

This being said, having a more neutral way to say "I disagree" isn't necessarily a bad idea. Precisely because the way the facepalm will be perceived is mostly a question of point of view. But it you want this just to get ride of the cleaning that sometimes follow a facepalm, or to avoid the facepalm flooding that few persons do, then it don't worse it. Whatever will be used, even if it's just a thumb down, will anyway be seen as an offense by some people, and will anyway lead to comments that will have to be cleaned ; but perhaps that it would at least happen less often.

Apr 24, 2020
Personally I just find the facepalm confusing, since all the emoji's get grouped together. So a post might have "(y):love: A, B, C and 23 others." it doesn't really tell anything about the ratio. So mixing positive and negative emoji's just seem like a recipe for disaster.

I used to not bother with "I disagree" buttons or emoji's, but that's before I encountered large forums. Now I loathe them.
We are already primed to speak up more often when we encounter something negative than positive, so giving an easy outlet for negative emotions just seem to give everything a more negative vibe.
Then there's also the inevitable soft censorship, where negative posts need extra steps to view, and suddenly the masses have a tool to make any viewpoints outside the status quo incredible tedious to explore.

Reactions: hentai charley

Aseratrix

Engaged Member
Dec 16, 2019
Well, it happened that I have given a post a facepalm, the next morning I woke up to see that the individual whose comment I facepalmed, went on a vendetta and facepalmed at least 30 comments I made in - what I assume - a spree of rage.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Maybe the facepalm emoji should be replaced with the thumps down one? :unsure:
This seems like the most sensible solution because then it can be seen as just people saying, "I disagree", whereas the facepalm is like them saying, "what an utterly moronic comment".

The other thing I think needs to be addressed is the facepalm/dislike spamming that I've seen some people encounter. Trolls will often use their 30 reactions per day to spam facepalms on every comment made by a particular person, or they'll spread it around to a couple of people. So perhaps this "negative" reaction should be more limited than the rest, 5-10 per day, and even given it's own button, like so:

Artboard 1.png

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Donor
Compressor
Jul 5, 2017
Even though it’s a annoying. It doesn’t decrease your likes. Also who cares about an emoji reaction? The more you react to that person doing, the more you feed them.

• Angry
Reactions: recreation

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Just remove it. Literally 90% of facepalms are used when NTR is brought up by either group.

Reactions: Takomon

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I like facepalms, I have no friends so everytime someone facepalms me, I like to pretend he is counting so I go hide somewhere. They never find me afterwards, I am really good at hide & seek, do not believe me? Facepalm this post and try me.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
I'm surprised that people care about likes/thumbsdown/facepalms etc.
I just consider and use them, as quick short answers/responces.... instead of replying to a post you use an emoji.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I could use a Dislike reaction. I'm impressed that the forum even decided to add a negative reaction like Facepalm to start with, so since the forum is okay going that way, I could use a second and less negative reaction.

Papa Lewd

Game Developer
Oct 12, 2019
I hate it too, it's super disrespectful. I feel the same way about people using the stupid laugh emoji on Facebook to mock something they don't agree with. As for it being "just an emoji" and not a big deal, no of course it's not a big deal, but it's the principle. It's disrespectful and rude. I agree with the OP too about the fact that it seems to be a generational thing. Most younger people don't understand why it bothers us, but it's because we take it more literally I think. No offense, but a lot of younger people were raised to believe that anything that happens on the internet is insignificant and meaningless, and this isn't always true. So yeah, it's not the emoji itself that bothers me, it's the thought behind it.

Reactions: ImperialD

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Even though it’s a annoying. It doesn’t decrease your likes. Also who cares about an emoji reaction? The more you react to that person doing, the more you feed them.
Sorry, couldn't resist :LOL:

Honestly, I think it's funny to see some peoples reactions, but I think it causes more trouble than it's worth it^^