VN Ren'Py Onhold Fairy Tails: Betrothed [Development Thread]

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ftb 1500x500.jpg
Fairy Tails: Betrothed
An urban fantasy / modern fairy tale romance

Synopsis:

Years of hard work, some risk taking, and a little luck had paid off. Life was good. Better than ever. The small plumbing company you own paid the bills with a little left over to enjoy. You were in the best relationship of your life with an adoring girl you were ever more convinced was The One. You had a mortgage on a nice apartment, which you share with your best friend and roommate--a jealous, sexually frustrated 6 inch pixie. Life almost couldn't be better. Almost.

One thing more could make it nearly perfect. As far back as you can remember, you have always wanted to get married and raise a family. On the verge of 30, you thought it might finally be the time to take that next big step. Then a shocking revelation brought your blissful relationship to an end, and you found yourself suddenly single again. Trying to put the past behind, you now navigate the nightmare hellscape of modern dating with all too few glimmers of hope in sight.

You're looking for love, but life is going to give you another surprise instead. A mysterious young woman appears unconscious at your door. A sleeping stranger who is not exactly a local--not to the city, and not even this world. Who is she? Why is she here? Who--or what--is going to come looking for her? And why the hell doesn't she wake up?

Fairy Tails: Betrothed is a story of romance, humor, and mystery. It spans two worlds full of fairies and goblins, witches and demons, magic and monsters, not to mention the mundane mortals mostly oblivious to it all. Uncover startling secrets and face ghosts from the past . Search for love and lust in a modern American metropolis and the ancient realm of Faerie. Will you be entangled in centuries old rivalries, schemes, and desires? Use them to your own advantage? Or will you turn away from it all to find a quiet, simple life with the woman you love?

Kinks / Fetishes / Content

Planned Tags (First Release): 3dcg, male protagonist, fantasy, teasing, oral sex, anal sex, creampie, voyeurism, animated (hopefully!)

Planned Tags (Future Releases): romance, harem*, masturbation, ahegao, exhibitionism, virgin, vaginal sex, titfuck, handjob, interracial, monster, monster girl, stripping, pregnancy (impregnation), group sex, lesbian, milf, cheating, multiple endings, twins

"Maybe" Tags: incest**, multiple penetration, spanking, (light) BDSM, sandbox (freeroam scenes), femdom (not on the MC), graphic violence

Features

Relationships: All romantic / sexual relationships are optional. Key player decisions rather than a points-based mechanic will drive progression.

Personality: Many choices offered during the story will help to shape the MC's personality. This can affect future dialogue, limit or expand future choices, and influence romanceable characters toward or away from the MC. That said, the MC is not a blank slate.

Sexual Content: Most lewd scenes and specific fetishes are optional. The few planned exceptions are a handful of dreams and/or memories.

Choice and Consequence: While the occasional purely cosmetic choice is bound to come up, virtually all choices will either move the story, affect relationships, or affect the MC's personality. Often they will do more than one. Choices can and will have consequences, good or bad, which may not be immediately noticeable.

No Bad Endings: That's not entirely true. There will be one decidedly band ending--the only possible ending if the MC rejects all romantic relationships and winds up alone. All other endings will be good, at least for the MC and whatever girl(s) he is in a relationship with.

One last thing...

Any and all questions or feedback is welcome and appreciated. This is my first real stab at creating a visual novel. All of this (Daz, Photoshop, RenPy, etc.) is pretty new to me and waaay outside my wheelhouse.

Last edited:

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
Romanceable Characters and Relationships

Relationships

All Optional: All romantic and sexual relationships will be optional. That does mean you could end the game alone, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a few instances where you might be forced into a date or something similar with some of these characters. You won't have to continue pursuing them, though.

Progression (Choices): Whether purely sexual or romantic, all relationships progress based on choices you make. This is instead of a points-based system. Choices that might affect a relationship won't always be obvious or have an immediate effect. Aside from some very obvious really "bad" decisions, you won't blow your chances with a girl you might be pursuing by doing/saying the "wrong" thing once in a while.

Progression (Type): All the girls have a type of man they're most interested in. What type your MC is depends on how you shape his character/personality through many, if not most, of the choices in game. Being of the right type for a girl will generally make things easier progressing or salvaging a relationship--among other things. However, if you're the complete opposite of what she's looking for, it becomes that much harder if you want to go after her.

Lewd Stuff: The what, when, and how of lewd stuff will vary from girl to girl and depend heavily on your relationship with her. I've tried to give them each a little different mix of experience, preferences, and hangups. Nothing too out there, though, I don't think. They range from a wholly untouched virgin to an unabashed cuckstress. Preferences range the full gamut of the tags in the OP. I know I can't please everybody, but I'm hoping to have something here and there for most players to enjoy.

Last edited:

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
MC
mcportcrop.jpg

Personality & Relationships

I want to give players as much freedom as the story permits to play the MC the way they want. I also want different styles to provide at least somewhat different experiences, both in the small stuff and in the major events. You won't be able to see everything in one playthrough--not without some kind of mod, anyway. But I'm aiming to make sure replaying is different and entertaining enough to be worth your time, if you're the sort that doesn't object to multiple playthroughs.

Sharing is Caring

No, not that kind of sharing. I mean sharing info with the player as they go through the story. Likely not in the Prologue releases, but in the first episode, I plan to add some kind of optional notification system. Something to use so you can see the MC's personality is changing. Also a cheat sheet of sorts to track relationships and clue you in if Mary McBigtits likes you being a sarcastic dick who makes her beg for it or would prefer a well-mannered gentleman who just can't say no to her gravity-defying charms.

Simping Ain't Easy

None of the personality or relationship mechanics are intended to force a player into doing anything and everything to please whatever girl(s) they want to pursue. That would actually backfire with some of them. I want to make sure you can play however you want. There should usually be a way to land (or get back) a girl you're after without becoming a full-on man-servant--at least until the late episodes. Things will get a bit messier if you're going for a throuple route, let alone one of the mini-harems. Even still, I don't want anybody to have to play a doormat to get an ending they like.

Last edited:

antonio1508

Mar 25, 2020
i love already Fonna , little fairy beauties have my full attention , I hope a maximum of scenes and views with her, and that she is not the only fairy O:) , goodluck with this game.

Reactions: TongueFork

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
i love already Fonna , little fairy beauties have my full attention , I hope a maximum of scenes and views with her, and that she is not the only fairy O:) , goodluck with this game.
Fonna will have a lot of content, lewd and otherwise. She's there from the very beginning and is pretty much always ready to go. There will be other pixies like her later in the story. Not sure yet if there will be any lewd content with them, though.

• Red Heart
Reactions: antonio1508

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
I updated the post on romanceable characters with a couple more (Keely and Nicole), as well as some general info and thoughts on how relationships with the girls will work. I had planned to update the MC post with some bits on the personality mechanics I'll be using. But I've had my head stuck in Daz or in code for hours already. I'm done.

The content for the demo is shaping up nicely, though. The next big things are the main lewd scene and the final scene of the demo, which involves a lot of characters and will definitely make my 8 Gb of VRAM scream and whimper. A few little sequences and redo's, but those two are the real job coming up.

While I'm thinking of it, I've been considering some sort of informational screen that would keep track of the various romantic interests, some pertinent info you know, and your current relationship with them. I just haven't decided if that's something that would be useful or wanted enough to spend the time making it.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
That's definitely a game that I already know I'll like: based on your description, we seem to share a lot of ideas about how a good game should be. :)

I also like the fact that "anal sex" is in the first release and "vaginal sex" only in the second :D

Reactions: TongueFork

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
That's definitely a game that I already know I'll like: based on your description, we seem to share a lot of ideas about how a good game should be. :)

I also like the fact that "anal sex" is in the first release and "vaginal sex" only in the second :D
Glad to hear it. I'm definitely hoping people enjoy it, even if it is a bit different than many if not most of the VNs here.

As for the anal first, I'm just glad I remembered that scene has to be anal--for story reasons, honest!--before I started setting it up, let alone rendering it.

TongueFork

Jan 27, 2021
I added some info to this post on the now current mechanics of the MC's personality, relationships, and how this work together. Feedback, critiques, and facepalming are always welcome--especially from anybody who can slog through my rambles.

I'm still plugging along, and still on track for a planned release sometime in January. I've been switching gears a lot, from renders to writing and editing to coding and back again. Each one helps me decompress a bit when I get frustrated or burnt out on one of the others. Sometime in the nearish future, I should have a more concrete list of things done, completion percentages, render counts. Something like that. And probably a couple more previews after I work through my folders of stuff waiting for postwork.

I did update the OP with Patreon and SubscribeStar links and Twitter as well. No, I'm not begging or expecting or anything of the sort. I'm a new dev with nothing yet released. If the time comes that a few folks want to help me fund my 3D asset-buying habit, that'd be keen. For now, they're really all much like this thread. A place to communicate (i.e. blather about this weird story that's been beating on the inside of my skull for over a year). It helps me keep motivated and quells my rage after a few hours bashing my head against Daz Studio.

I hope everyone has a fun holiday.

fonnacanecard.jpg