File host TOS

BlipBloop333

Mar 6, 2020
Do file hosts actually allow adult games to be posted on their sites, or is it more or less about how long it takes for them to notice it and delete it?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Hosting adult content/games isn't illegal (Pronhub would go out of business if it were).
They only care about copyright.
Put up a game you wrote yourself... no problem. Put up a game written by someone else is when they might take notice.

Even then, they don't (generally) actively curate content on they host - instead waiting for someone (who asserts they own the copyright) to report a specific file.

A lot of hosting companies will point out that the files aren't actually directly accessible, even by themselves without a link, so nobody knows the contents of the files (mega for example). Individual hosters may have adult restrictions, I don't know.

So if someone reports it, then they take down the file. Probably. But it'll need someone to tell them it shouldn't be there first.

Head to the Latest Games page, go to the last page (oldest) and pick a game at random. Chances are most of those links still work, nearly 4 years later.

BlipBloop333

Mar 6, 2020
Hosting adult content/games isn't illegal (Pronhub would go out of business if it were).
They only care about copyright.
Put up a game you wrote yourself... no problem. Put up a game written by someone else is when they might take notice.

Even then, they don't (generally) actively curate content on they host - instead waiting for someone (who asserts they own the copyright) to report a specific file.

A lot of hosting companies will point out that the files aren't actually directly accessible, even by themselves without a link, so nobody knows the contents of the files (mega for example). Individual hosters may have adult restrictions, I don't know.

So if someone reports it, then they take down the file. Probably. But it'll need someone to tell them it shouldn't be there first.

Head to the Latest Games page, go to the last page (oldest) and pick a game at random. Chances are most of those links still work, nearly 4 years later.
And what if I made a free game with Honey Select, would that make a difference?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'm not 100% sure about Honey Select... but as far as I understand it, it's a graphics tool - not a game engine.

By which I mean, you create images with Honey Select and use those images within a game using a game engine (Probably RenPy, RPGMaker or even HTML).

So whilst Honey Select is a copyrighted product, the images it creates aren't owned by the Honey Select people... they're your creative works... and therefore your copyright.
In the same way that if you painted a picture, your picture wouldn't be owned by the people who sold the brushes, paints or the canvas. Honey Select is a tool to create images and animations.

I must admit, I'm basing my opinion on the way Daz3D works. There, you use Daz to create images. A lot of the time, those images are created using sold/free 3D assets. Those 3D models and such are subject to a licence agreement that says you can use those models to create images without any additional cost (but you can't use those 3D models in a 3D game engine line Unity or Unreal without buying an additional licence).

You'd need a law degree to read the fine print, but no... it would not make a difference. If you created a game, you can do whatever you like with it... including uploading it to a file hosting service. (Doesn't matter if it's a free game or paid).

Reactions: BlipBloop333

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not 100% sure about Honey Select... but as far as I understand it, it's a graphics tool - not a game engine.
There were a long thread months ago on this particular subject.
Basically :

FAKKU (that own the rights on the English translated version) want to pursue everyone (but will need for this to prove that they used their translated version), while Illusion is now totally informed of the situation and don't care as long as the copyright watermark is still present on the images.
This said, the thread started 7 months ago, because of FAKKU threat, and to my knowledge no one have had problems yet. It doesn't mean that there's no risks, but FAKKU seem to bark more than they bite. As for Illusion, like many Japan based and focused companies they don't really care about what happen outside of Japan.

Reactions: 79flavors