Others [First Bite] [itch.io] [firstbitegames]

StrayGege

Aug 24, 2022
I downloaded the file that was posted in the comments and played it last night. And I was a bit disappointed, considering how much I was looking forward to it. So, here's review if someone's interested but I'll avoid any real spoilers.

You get to choose your name, pronounce and eye color, but it makes no difference. The eye color of my character wasn't mentioned at all (and there is no CG of MC obviously), or if it was I somehow managed to skip it. The vampires barely even refer to your character using pronounces. The characters are voiced (which was very, very nice! I liked their voices a lot), and Ilyas refers to MC as "them" few times. I understand why it had to be done like that, as well as the vague sex scenes at the end... But I wanted my character to be male, yet the descriptions somehow made me feel like he's more likely to have women's anatomy (which ruined the experience for me).

That being said, I played Ilyas (the buff guy) and Laurel's (kinky hair and purple lips) route, but not Valeria's. She was cool, but I was not interested in romancing her.

The time period that the game covers is one single night (MC goes out for a walk at 3am or something, then decides to enter some creepy seemingly abandoned house). Granted, at the end of the game - if you get the happy ending, that is - MC passes out, wakes up 3 days later, you get a short scene about them starting their new life and then the end. I think this is what disappointed me the most, because I expected a vampire story that takes place over longer period of time (like, at least a month or something), where you get to see MC adjust to their vampire life and the relationships with other vampires slowly develop. This is a short game, so naturally, there's none of that. I don't think the game itself is as disappointing as it was due to my own expectations.

The game basically focuses on MC trying to convince the vampires not to eat you and instead let you join them by turning you into a vampire too. Vampires go from wanting to eat MC to being fascinated by MC, and then you get to see a slightly different side of them (the only "development" you'll get in the game). I personally was everything except fascinated by MC. They have set personality that I found a bit annoying, and the options you choose in the game only affect vampires' reactions.

There are many "dead ends", where you die if you choose the wrong options, but I only got few dead ends before I looked up a walkthrough. Also, I think it actually might be quite difficult to get the good ending for each character on your own and it should take some time. I ended up using walkthrough, so I finished two routes in one evening. In those few dead ends that I got, MC was thrilled to die by being eaten by vampires. I personally would have preferred if MC was actually scared and chose to become a vampire because they had no other option, not because they think it's cool and they always wanted it. That being said, the horror elements are quite good in the game. I got chills few times from the vampires' expressions and remarks, as well as the music in the background. I mean, the game is not scary, but the overall dark atmosphere is just really good.

The vampires don't really have a good side to them, I guess, which is not necessarily a bad thing. They are portrayed as cruel, dangerous and heartless, as well as arrogant. They are not honorable and compassionate. One of them thinks there's no better (strongest, prettiest, smartest etc) person in the world, the other one is materialistic, the third one manipulative and calculating. I was not disappointed by this, even though I usually like when characters have both good and bad side to them. The game is too short to find any good sides to these vampires though.

And the art is gorgeous.

That's pretty much it.

Reactions: Dysphorika