Font size

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
Why are so many Devs making games where the fonts are so small, that you can hardly see or read them? I have major eye problems. have the time I can't see or read the fonts. The normal sisze should be at least 12 or 14 I think. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I don't have magnifying glass eyes even with my glasses on. The sad part is that I have my laptop connected to a big TV and still can't read anything. Screenshot 2023-06-28 232653.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The normal sisze should be at least 12 or 14 I think.
Well, for the initial screen resolution (usually 1920x1080), default font size for Ren'Py goes between 24 and 36, depending of what part of the interface it is. And it's exceptional that a dev change it.

Fonts looks small because the windows, and therefore the font itself, is resized for a smaller resolution.
Notice the two black parts on the side ? They are saying that the window do not match the initial ratio, and they appear because the window's width is smaller than expected. This mean that it's not a 16:9 to 4:3 issue since the width would be higher than expected, and therefore the black parts would then be on top and bottom.

The sad part is that I have my laptop connected to a big TV and still can't read anything.
Well, configure your card/OS correctly then, because I don't see a modern TV, nor a recent game, not being 16:9.

Personally, both far and near sighted (thanks to the age), and astigmatic in top of that, I don't really have problems reading texts in Ren'Py games. At least unless the dev thought smart to lower the size and/or use an exotic font.