[S>Artist 2D] Freelance artist looking for commission/job

Shikharisfree

Game Developer
Feb 2, 2022
Holy shit dude you should apply at the studio that made the game sifu , you're matching with that style damn

Reactions: saber201

ABlackOcean

Apr 27, 2021
Calling this level of art "rookie" is beyond modesty :love:

Edit: Why sad? It was meant as a compliment :O

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: saber201

saber201

Apr 18, 2019
Calling this level of art "rookie" is beyond modesty :love:

Edit: Why sad? It was meant as a compliment :O
i dont know, i think my art is something better than "newbie" level but it isnt high level to get some big projects :HideThePain: so im still a rookie i guess so

Last edited:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
i dont know, my art isnt good enough for some big project so i think im just beginner :HideThePain:
Since I'm one of the people that contacted you on discord, but didn't go further, here is my little opinion about your situation.
Don't take it too seriously, since it just translates my point of view as a wannabe game developer. Some other people might have a very different opinion, and I could be completely wrong about you.

- Your style is really good looking and very unique. It stands out a lot compared to most of the 2d artists here. Your references feature various scenes and show that you can easily draw complex characters / poses and also complex background, which is mandatory for an H-game, way more than for single commissions.

- Your artstyle can also be considered as a weakness if you're expecting to work on an H-game project. Those projects are nearly always long-term projects and most devs always keep in mind that they should have a back-up incase they can't keep working with their "first main" artist. When I'm looking at your unique artworks, one of the thing that comes to my mind is "okay, that one won't be easy to replace if I have any problem" compared to a more generic "anime style" (this is just an example). It also means that established game projects won't be looking at you first if they need a replacement, and that can be a bit of a problem since they are the one that can afford to pay for your work.

- Because, for a new project that's not generating any money yet, your rates are a bit high. I caculated that I would have to pay you around 300 $ for a two characters NSFW commission involving a complex background, which is around 40 % more than what I actually pay for my game project.

Not asking you to change your style or to lower your prices, that's not the point here. We're in a kind of a dead end situation with artists being poorly paid compared to their hourly rates and devs not being rich enough to fund their passion project more. Just keep in mind that big projects are fundamentally rares compared to single commissions. Most of the artists won't ever get involved in it and they will be mostly working on regular commissions (for those who actually manage to get a living from their art).

I hope this take wasn't completel useless.

ABlackOcean

Apr 27, 2021
i dont know, i think my art is something better than "newbie" level but it isnt high level to get some big projects :HideThePain: so im still a rookie i guess so
I get your perspective, but mine is pretty clear: Your art is good. It`s far better than most I`ve seen around here and I wish I was even half as good as you are.
Why are you not getting hired then?
I can only give you my thoughts on it, as I don`t know anything about the biz...

I decided to make a VN myself, BUT I "only" got a (long, deep and completed) story to offer.
Learning how to code/design a game and handle the engine? Not much of a problem, I can learn that.
But making the visuals... oh boy. Should it be 3Dstuff? Should it be digital painting?
Which Style comes closest to what I imagine?
So I went out n tried to find an art-style I liked and while doing that I realized: paying an artist is IMPOSSIBLE even for medicore quality at best...

So when you`re starting to make a game/VN here, WHO has the financial power to afford an artist?
At the same time I have no doubt, an artist couldn`t and shouldn`t take less for his time-consuming work...
I wish I could pay an artist like you, but I can`t.
So I was left with the only option: Getting into digital painting myself.

All I know is the perspective of the "newcomer". I got no idea if bigger developers/teams come here to find artists... or how all of that works anyway. From what I`ve seen the very basic set of characters of a story can easily demand me to invest 1000$.
But I have no idea if the project will ever get a fanbase to cover that. Without the investment I might never get a fanbase for it at all... Its a tough place for everyone, the one with the idea just like the one with the skills.

And that leaves (almost) all of us quite unhappy.
Nontheless I hope someone soon finds you and gets you the work and payment you deserve,
caus all troubles aside -your art is good, no matter what people can or can`t do about it :) GOOD LUCK!

Edit: LOL, Gwedelino had pretty much the same thoughts at the same moment :p

saber201

Apr 18, 2019
Since I'm one of the people that contacted you on discord, but didn't go further, here is my little opinion about your situation.
Don't take it too seriously, since it just translates my point of view as a wannabe game developer. Some other people might have a very different opinion, and I could be completely wrong about you.

- Your style is really good looking and very unique. It stands out a lot compared to most of the 2d artists here. Your references feature various scenes and show that you can easily draw complex characters / poses and also complex background, which is mandatory for an H-game, way more than for single commissions.

- Your artstyle can also be considered as a weakness if you're expecting to work on an H-game project. Those projects are nearly always long-term projects and most devs always keep in mind that they should have a back-up incase they can't keep working with their "first main" artist. When I'm looking at your unique artworks, one of the thing that comes to my mind is "okay, that one won't be easy to replace if I have any problem" compared to a more generic "anime style" (this is just an example). It also means that established game projects won't be looking at you first if they need a replacement, and that can be a bit of a problem since they are the one that can afford to pay for your work.

- Because, for a new project that's not generating any money yet, your rates are a bit high. I caculated that I would have to pay you around 300 $ for a two characters NSFW commission involving a complex background, which is around 40 % more than what I actually pay for my game project.

Not asking you to change your style or to lower your prices, that's not the point here. We're in a kind of a dead end situation with artists being poorly paid compared to their hourly rates and devs not being rich enough to fund their passion project more. Just keep in mind that big projects are fundamentally rares compared to single commissions. Most of the artists won't ever get involved in it and they will be mostly working on regular commissions (for those who actually manage to get a living from their art).

I hope this take wasn't completel useless.
thank you so much for the advice , im very appreciate it. Finding regular commission is most possible choice for me in this situation i guess. Im gonna keep drawing haha :HideThePain: (y) btw you contacted me on discord? which's your account?

saber201

Apr 18, 2019
I get your perspective, but mine is pretty clear: Your art is good. It`s far better than most I`ve seen around here and I wish I was even half as good as you are.
Why are you not getting hired then?
I can only give you my thoughts on it, as I don`t know anything about the biz...

I decided to make a VN myself, BUT I "only" got a (long, deep and completed) story to offer.
Learning how to code/design a game and handle the engine? Not much of a problem, I can learn that.
But making the visuals... oh boy. Should it be 3Dstuff? Should it be digital painting?
Which Style comes closest to what I imagine?
So I went out n tried to find an art-style I liked and while doing that I realized: paying an artist is IMPOSSIBLE even for medicore quality at best...

So when you`re starting to make a game/VN here, WHO has the financial power to afford an artist?
At the same time I have no doubt, an artist couldn`t and shouldn`t take less for his time-consuming work...
I wish I could pay an artist like you, but I can`t.
So I was left with the only option: Getting into digital painting myself.

All I know is the perspective of the "newcomer". I got no idea if bigger developers/teams come here to find artists... or how all of that works anyway. From what I`ve seen the very basic set of characters of a story can easily demand me to invest 1000$.
But I have no idea if the project will ever get a fanbase to cover that. Without the investment I might never get a fanbase for it at all... Its a tough place for everyone, the one with the idea just like the one with the skills.

And that leaves (almost) all of us quite unhappy.
Nontheless I hope someone soon finds you and gets you the work and payment you deserve,
caus all troubles aside -your art is good, no matter what people can or can`t do about it :) GOOD LUCK!

Edit: LOL, Gwedelino had pretty much the same thoughts at the same moment :p
thanks , but if i couldnt get any commissions/job so one of the ways is adjust my prices :HideThePain: