greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
Yeah i opened the save with save editor
If you are using a Save Editor (or the web-browser Console) to modify the state of Story variables or Saves then you shouldn't be surprised when the project doesn't work correctly... :)

Farajure

Jul 26, 2021
If you are using a Save Editor (or the web-browser Console) to modify the state of Story variables or Saves then you shouldn't be surprised when the project doesn't work correctly... :)
But in this case it wasn't related, I missed the whole write up mechanic and after it was brought up i went to check if there were any related variables and understood what was going on, so it actually helped me if anything

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
What content do they each have?
The content type is hinted in each program description now, but the best way to put it is that business is crafting and selling products for the most part. Dance is a skill booster with a small-ish story related to it and some competitions. Acting will unlock a bunch of gigs you can do and is also a skill booster. Homekeeping is more about quality of life, the content is tied to make your life "easier". Finally business is two exclusive story paths. If you choose the last one, do be careful, being late at work or not fulfilling certain requirements will get you fired.

Merlinsdragon

Nov 21, 2018
please help, what exactly are the requirements for the holt job.
i see that i have the exam passed, but it still gives me fired because of disregard??

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
please help, what exactly are the requirements for the holt job.
i see that i have the exam passed, but it still gives me fired because of disregard??
You need to:
-Go to work every day (skipping work will cause issues, you can't bypass the content by not doing it)
-Not be late (start work before 10 am)
-Fulfill the Mrs. Holt requirements (varies, reading is key here, but you requirements are also listed in the Reminders tab)

If, at the end of the week, you end under 3 "writeUp Score" (skipping work causes two, the rest causes one), it will reset the writeUp score on saturday, if you reached 3 on friday due to Mrs. Holt requirements, you will be fired the following week.

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
You need to:
-Go to work every day (skipping work will cause issues, you can't bypass the content by not doing it)
-Not be late (start work before 10 am)
-Fulfill the Mrs. Holt requirements (varies, reading is key here, but you requirements are also listed in the Reminders tab)

If, at the end of the week, you end under 3 "writeUp Score" (skipping work causes two, the rest causes one), it will reset the writeUp score on saturday, if you reached 3 on friday due to Mrs. Holt requirements, you will be fired the following week.
Here is my reply.
-"Go to work every day" you get fired on the first day.
-"Not be late (start work before 10 am)" I'm there betveen 8.35-8.55
-"Fulfill the Mrs. Holt requirements (varies, reading is key here, but you requirements are also listed in the Reminders tab)" You get fired even before that.
So to sum it up you get fired before you can do anything.
(regardless of exam success)

Reactions: Merlinsdragon

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
I took a look at the whole code and here is my only finding so far (I also got my tester on the case, just in case I missed anything, more on that when I have an update.) is a typo in the task reminders making it so shaving requirements aren't shown when they are added to the list. If you could send me a save file, that would be greatly appreciated, alongside which version you are playing on. If you are still on 0.4.3a, you can try a fresh save on 0.4.3b, otherwise -I know this stinks- you will have to wait until next version for a fix.

Edit: The issue is really dumb and I am glad to say it was finally found. An issue with the check means it starts from the internship instead of the first day of work. I'll be patching it for next version. For those that want to patch the file themselves, you can edit this code:

Code:
<<if $time.days % 7 < 2 && $flags.jobs.holt.active>>
to
Code:
<<if $time.days % 7 !== 6 && $time.days % 7 !== 0 && $time.days >= 57 && $flags.jobs.holt.active>>
You can do a search and replace on the file in Twine to switch it up (I don't recommend modifying your game file as I'm not responsible for the game after alterations per policy, but this is safe code that I can confirm will work).

Last edited:

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
I took a look at the whole code and here is my only finding so far (I also got my tester on the case, just in case I missed anything, more on that when I have an update.) is a typo in the task reminders making it so shaving requirements aren't shown when they are added to the list. If you could send me a save file, that would be greatly appreciated, alongside which version you are playing on. If you are still on 0.4.3a, you can try a fresh save on 0.4.3b, otherwise -I know this stinks- you will have to wait until next version for a fix.

Edit: The issue is really dumb and I am glad to say it was finally found. An issue with the check means it starts from the internship instead of the first day of work. I'll be patching it for next version. For those that want to patch the file themselves, you can edit this code:

Code:
<<if $time.days % 7 < 2 && $flags.jobs.holt.active>>
to
Code:
<<if $time.days % 7 !== 6 && $time.days % 7 !== 0 && $time.days >= 57 && $flags.jobs.holt.active>>
You can do a search and replace on the file in Twine to switch it up (I don't recommend modifying your game file as I'm not responsible for the game after alterations per policy, but this is safe code that I can confirm will work).
Do you belive that i suspected it was the problem? :rolleyes:
Any way nice catch! (y)
ps: this programing stile subverts the advantage of twine engine... you can expect similar stupid bugs in the future... oh well good luck!

Last edited:

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
Do you belive that i suspected it was the problem? :rolleyes:
Any way nice catch! (y)
ps: this programing stile subverts the advantage of twine engine... you can expect similar stupid bugs in the future... oh well good luck!
Frankly, I'm not a professional programmer, so in terms of style I am winging it. I wrote this quickly, but you could actually replace the first two clauses by setup.college0.includes($time.days % 7). It's still three clauses within the same if, but it's a little cleaner. If you followed the game for a while, it used to be much, much worse lol

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
Frankly, I'm not a professional programmer, so in terms of style I am winging it. I wrote this quickly, but you could actually replace the first two clauses by setup.college0.includes($time.days % 7). It's still three clauses within the same if, but it's a little cleaner. If you followed the game for a while, it used to be much, much worse lol
You may want to introduce self documentation (there is no way to remember your own code after some time and certain size)
Spagetti code may look compact but a nightmare to debug.
The game is code heavy for what? (it is literaly hard coded) A lot of stuff can be done in a more flexible way using the engine's functions.
So my basic suggestions are:
1 document your game (in code and outside)
2. space out your code so you can read it later.
3. Twine is a flexible storyteller engine you may want to read up what it can do for you.
None of the 3 requires you to be a programer but makes you a better game developer. (The 2 is never been the same)
ps: event chain management 101
Never ever connect an event with a direct day unless it is an unmissable milestone.
timed event in an event chain: event fires on event day18 event fires on above event day 17 when possible
The first chain is broken if you miss event day 18 the second is secure.
Of course event chain like collage course is a simple static day to day exemption.

Last edited:

Merlinsdragon

Nov 21, 2018
i applied this and still get fired instantly.
also there is literally no reminder what i should wear or what i should look like on my first day.
please get this fixed in a quick update so that it works 100%, thanks

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
i applied this and still get fired instantly.
also there is literally no reminder what i should wear or what i should look like on my first day.
please get this fixed in a quick update so that it works 100%, thanks
Hi there, it is indeed bugged, as listed in the replies above. Due to time being well ahead in the month now, the fix will be with the next main release of the game (0.4.4) on the 2nd of April (or 3rd depending on your time zone). In the meantime you can explore other routes or get a new save going all the way to the interview (do not progress any further because of the aforementioned bug).

As for the clothing (and shaving) reminders, they appear when they become active and you will be told of them the work day prior to you needing to accept them.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Smallfrie

69in98

Oct 30, 2019
bug in the gym
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
While this does not address your issue, the gym is all sorts of screwed up right now, you can't get in with regular clothes.

JavaScript:
&lt;&lt;set _sportTop = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags(&#39;Sport&#39;, &#39;Top&#39;)&gt;&gt;
&lt;&lt;set _sportBottom = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags(&#39;Sport&#39;, &#39;Bottom&#39;)&gt;&gt;
&lt;&lt;set _sportShoes = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags(&#39;BlackRunningShoes&#39;)&gt;&gt;
BlackRunningShoes is the id of the item, and not a tag. Should be checking for Sport and Shoes. Curiously BlackRunningShoes is tagged with Shoes twice. Even fixing this does nothing though, because later on the code looks for '_blackRunningShoes'. That does not exist. Should be checking for '_sportShoes'.

Would that fix everything? No. the code also looks for '_sportShorts'. Again, not a thing. Needs to look for '_sportBottom'.

Changing this allows you to wear normal male clothes to the gym.

69in98

Oct 30, 2019
I am getting
Error: <<if>>: bad conditional expression in <<elseif>> clause (#14): Unexpected token '<'
when entering vixen. Any fixes?
Unsure if this is the solution, but it is a solution.
JavaScript:
&lt;&lt;elseif visited(&quot;RV12p1&quot;) &gt; 0 &amp;&amp; visited(&quot;RV13&quot;) == 0 &amp;&amp; (($time.days % 7 == 1 &amp;&amp; $time.minutes &gt; 300) || $time.days % 7 == &lt; 5 &amp;&amp; visited(&quot;Club&quot;) &gt; 24&gt;&gt;
We've got two problems here.

A check for:
$time.days % 7 == &lt; 5

This makes no sense. And is where the error is occurring. Removing the &lt; should fix this, and I'm hopeful that's correct as a check for that is common in this section. But that showcases another error. Too many open parentheses. You can close it after the the number 24.

The correct code for that section should look like below.
JavaScript:
&lt;&lt;elseif visited(&quot;RV12p1&quot;) &gt; 0 &amp;&amp; visited(&quot;RV13&quot;) == 0 &amp;&amp; (($time.days % 7 == 1 &amp;&amp; $time.minutes &gt; 300) || $time.days % 7 == 5 &amp;&amp; visited(&quot;Club&quot;) &gt; 24)&gt;&gt;

Reactions: Rfupon
3.60 star(s) 8 Votes