GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023
While this does not address your issue, the gym is all sorts of screwed up right now, you can't get in with regular clothes.

JavaScript:
<<set _sportTop = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags('Sport', 'Top')>>
<<set _sportBottom = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags('Sport', 'Bottom')>>
<<set _sportShoes = setup.playerCode.isWearingItemWithTags('BlackRunningShoes')>>
BlackRunningShoes is the id of the item, and not a tag. Should be checking for Sport and Shoes. Curiously BlackRunningShoes is tagged with Shoes twice. Even fixing this does nothing though, because later on the code looks for '_blackRunningShoes'. That does not exist. Should be checking for '_sportShoes'.

Would that fix everything? No. the code also looks for '_sportShorts'. Again, not a thing. Needs to look for '_sportBottom'.

Changing this allows you to wear normal male clothes to the gym.
i tried to but ended up breaking everything in the gym lol (im dumb when it comes to editing codes) dirty edits i can do but codes not so much

69in98

Oct 30, 2019
i tried to but ended up breaking everything in the gym lol (im dumb when it comes to editing codes) dirty edits i can do but codes not so much
Your problem is solved.
JavaScript:
<<set _hasSportTop = [setup.playerCode.hasItem('SportTop'), setup.playerCode.hasItem('PinkSportTop')>>
Missing closing bracket. ]

Should look like:
JavaScript:
<<set _hasSportTop = [setup.playerCode.hasItem('SportTop'), setup.playerCode.hasItem('PinkSportTop')]>>
Simple fix. Though leggings aren't working properly, it gets rid of the errors for tops.

GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023
Your problem is solved.
JavaScript:
<<set _hasSportTop = [setup.playerCode.hasItem('SportTop'), setup.playerCode.hasItem('PinkSportTop')>>
Missing closing bracket. ]

Should look like:
JavaScript:
<<set _hasSportTop = [setup.playerCode.hasItem('SportTop'), setup.playerCode.hasItem('PinkSportTop')]>>
Simple fix. Though leggings aren't working properly, it gets rid of the errors for tops.
well the tops error is gone but still cant train (not even if i do a tshirt shorts and black sport shoes) side note after this change the black leggings disappeared off the list only the pink leggings and shorts are there and the gray sport top disappeared aswell lol

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
well the tops error is gone but still cant train (not even if i do a tshirt shorts and black sport shoes) side note after this change the black leggings disappeared off the list only the pink leggings and shorts are there and the gray sport top disappeared aswell lol
Well that happens when ppl use spagetty code with out documentation...:eek:

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
true. but the dev is learning and has came along way
Yeah it is hard to unlearn wrong habits.
It was probably cool at first for him to write long code with shorthand.
Also so much coding for nothing but more bug and harder modification....it is rare even for noobs.(unless someone uses his/her 101 books for decoration only.)

Yuuuna

Jul 2, 2021
Help please ? For some reason, the gym simply wont let me train even though I have a grey tee, sport shorts and running shoes

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
Yeah it is hard to unlearn wrong habits.
It was probably cool at first for him to write long code with shorthand.
Also so much coding for nothing but more bug and harder modification....it is rare even for noobs.(unless someone uses his/her 101 books for decoration only.)
Yeah, it's honestly the hardest part. I slowly work through the code to make things better as my personal knowledge expands (and tolerence for blockcode diminishes). Still, with the sheer size of the game, it is hard to get this all done in a timely manner alone. moving from the whole MegaSpaghetti backend to the new javascript backend took almost three months including post-release support, it was brutal but had to be done.

However, I also have to add new stuff, I've seen some big projects die because of backend quagmires before as the community don't get to see any tangible benefits to it. So whenever I see something off, I try to improve it now. If there is a bug with a spaghetti bunch, I do the indentation at the same time.

It will probably take me a while to get everything up to snuff, but I dare say that it will be done at some point. For now, I know it's frustrating, but I have a lot to do on my own, so I only ask for a little understanding. There's nearly fives years worth of work on the code and I started with essentially 0 knowledge of programming and I don't do this professionally either, so it is to be expected some parts are messy and/or unoptimized. I'm always open to suggestions on making things work smoother, so if you have some pointers, I'll be glad to use them.

Reactions: GamerDaddy

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah, it's honestly the hardest part. I slowly work through the code to make things better as my personal knowledge expands (and tolerence for blockcode diminishes). Still, with the sheer size of the game, it is hard to get this all done in a timely manner alone. moving from the whole MegaSpaghetti backend to the new javascript backend took almost three months including post-release support, it was brutal but had to be done.

However, I also have to add new stuff, I've seen some big projects die because of backend quagmires before as the community don't get to see any tangible benefits to it. So whenever I see something off, I try to improve it now. If there is a bug with a spaghetti bunch, I do the indentation at the same time.

It will probably take me a while to get everything up to snuff, but I dare say that it will be done at some point. For now, I know it's frustrating, but I have a lot to do on my own, so I only ask for a little understanding. There's nearly fives years worth of work on the code and I started with essentially 0 knowledge of programming and I don't do this professionally either, so it is to be expected some parts are messy and/or unoptimized. I'm always open to suggestions on making things work smoother, so if you have some pointers, I'll be glad to use them.
Ok ....
pointers....
1st:write down the raw story for yourself.
2nd:think about what core systems you want to implement.
3rd:think again and strip it to minimum.
4th :when you write a code write it on a proper code editor.(will smash most typo bugs)
5th: Think about the story parts and how do you want the story present itself.
6th:The less code near raw text the better.
7th: repeating code in a single page can be brought out and can be made into activation requirement.
8th:repeating code in file can be converted into widget.

9th:event chains have to be semi independent the more point you nail down with global variables the more potential bugs it suffers.
10th:Document your existing and future code, place down your future plans in inert places where you want to place them later.
That is all for now.
If you want to implement some logic then ask.

Reactions: LordOfChangeGames

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
10th:Document your existing and future code, place down your future plans in inert places where you want to place them later.
I find it interesting you place documentation last in your list... when good software development is commonly the implementation of the documented requirements.

I also suggest that (a) the requirements of core systems will generally arise from working out how the story will flow, and what actions are actually required for that flow to happen. I have all to often seen Authors who start with ideas like: I will need a full featured inventory system; and the Characters need lots & lots of stats; only to eventually see the implementation of those ideas being more that what the story flow actually needed.

eg. don't design & implement the inventory system before writing any of the story, wait until you reach a point that such a system is needed, and then only design & implement the parts of the system needed at that point in time.

(a) unless you have a previous knowledge of designing & implementing "game systems"

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
I find it interesting you place documentation last in your list... when good software development is commonly the implementation of the documented requirements.

I also suggest that (a) the requirements of core systems will generally arise from working out how the story will flow, and what actions are actually required for that flow to happen. I have all to often seen Authors who start with ideas like: I will need a full featured inventory system; and the Characters need lots & lots of stats; only to eventually see the implementation of those ideas being more that what the story flow actually needed.

eg. don't design & implement the inventory system before writing any of the story, wait until you reach a point that such a system is needed, and then only design & implement the parts of the system needed at that point in time.

(a) unless you have a previous knowledge of designing & implementing "game systems"
Oh my god! :FacePalm: Some one is blind like bat!:eek:
" 1st:write down the raw story for yourself.
2nd:think about what core systems you want to implement.
3rd:think again and strip it to minimum. "
They are the steps to create the initial document.
"10th:Document your existing and future code, place down your future plans in inert places where you want to place them later. "
Means create reminders in code and outside in documentation and place down future plans in the twine editor so you can fill it up later.
As for inventory system there are 2 valid kind of implementation possible static or dinamic in this case our dev choose the static predetermined approach (predetermined fixed inventory). The only mistake can be made if someone mix the 2.
ps: what i wrote down corresponds with the actual fxxg guide for twine games that you can find on f95zone support forum :rolleyes:
pps:If you do not know the basic story yourself before you start creating the game then you are 99% doomed to fail.

Last edited:

GamerDaddy

Feb 6, 2023

ive been around since day 1, im usually one of the first to report if something is broke or there is a grammar error

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
2nd advice.
By nature computer code are actually math formula and objects.
So coding obeys similar laws like math.
It is important be cause it can save coding time reduces variables reduces typo in code in the long run.
In math and logic ppl use formulas you do not use the original objects to calculate like"apple" or"orange" instead you use perishable substitute like a or b that loose its value outside the page/ in twine it looks like _a and _b . This kind of coding does not create extra garbage variables and actually reusable with other variables.(be in mind that the result has to be converted back just like in math)
Complex code can and has to be broken down to smaller and more manageable parts, paired with comments so you will know what is in there.
Giving telling names are not substitute to comments!
Giving telling names very useful in individual code enbeded in text.
3rd advice.
Events:
There are 4 typ of events:timed,random,conditional,chain
You can argue that they are the same but their implementation and usage is different.
1.timed event: it is an event that fires in predetermined time from game start or from result of an other event.
It is used for milestone events like playing rent or exam day. It is strongly advised that you make it inescapable if important.
2.random event: it has functions as a filler event not critical in relation to story line
3.conditional events:it fires given certain conditions normally used for minor story progression.
4.chain events:actually it is a chain of events above timed random, conditional. The main factor is events has to create an internal chain of happenings that semi independent from the game engine.
I know it is confusing You can look at it like this:They are events that reques for subsequent of events.
It is the way to mix timed random and conditional events into a story line/tree.
Common mistakes related to event chains:1.give all events to exact date...congratulations you have created a fixed story that brokes if not forced.
2.place too much random events in the story line ....players will curse you to no end.
3.place a lot of conditional event together or use too many condition....the walkthrough is longer than the game
Be in mind that there are endless coding stiles present for endless way of thinking most for lazy bugs who skimp on proper steps for higher speed. What i wrote down will make coding/game creation more manageable not faster, and does not mean a complette guideline.(Look up the support forum for that)

LordOfChangeGames

Spaghetti Chef
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2020
ive been around since day 1, im usually one of the first to report if something is broke or there is a grammar error
Always appreciated!

Thanks for the quick fix for Red Vixen!
You're welcome! If something is reported and the issue is found within the first week of release, I always try to patch it ASAP. Moreso if it breaks the "common tree" content.

3.60 star(s) 8 Votes